Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011

When the rep goes..

I have this lingering feeling that the whole rep system is about to be canned. I might be wrong, but judging by the huge debate following the rep no longer being anonymous coupled with the recent ban wave when people tried to gang up on a neg repper, I have this hunch that before long the admins might just shut it down rather tan deal with the hubbub.

For me the rep thing was always just a game. It's like voting for snow king and snow queen, it's something to play with, but it doesn't really matter and have no practical impact on anything. It doesn't matter to me if it stays or goes.

One thing I do like though is the ability to leave someone a comment without having to use a PM.

If the rep system goes, I hope the ability to leave a quick comment stays. Maybe just keep the current rep system, but remove the score, so you would get a green comment if someone like one of your posts and a red comment if they disliked it, but your overall rep would stay zero.

In short, I don't care about chicklets or a positive or negative rep score, but I really like the ability to leave someone a thumbs up and a quick comment. I hope at least that last bit stays.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Yeah, I like the quick comments too. It'd be nice if they were valueless.

Keep pedaling
    It might be better if we could rep each individual post. The rep could be attached to the post instead of being connected to the person who posted it. We could give positive rep to any post with good advice.

This would help people who start a thread asking for advice, because a post with more positive rep is more likely to be good advice.

That might also prevent so many bad feelings about negative rep. People would be less likely to take it personal since the rep won't follow them to other threads.
    Last edited by Furball the Mystery Cat; 01-15-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    You mean voting on comments like they do on youtube, facebook and so on, letting everyone see that 5 people liked a particular comment?

Keep pedaling
    Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of. I wonder if they would able to make these forums work like that instead of the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    You mean voting on comments like they do on youtube, facebook and so on, letting everyone see that 5 people liked a particular comment?