Poll: More noise than signal these days?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Trolls and the lack of Eff-Eighty-Eight?

Is it just me, or have the policial/social/economic wankfests spilled over into virtually every other damn forum since f88 was shut down? Been a long time lurker here, always loved the copious amounts of useful info and on topic banter. It's like, you actually learned stuff about Mtn biking or something?!

F-88 served the very real role of public pissoir. A urinal for those to relieve themselves in. Now that it's been shut down, it seems we're crapping where we eat!

I know the reasons why it was closed. And yeah, with no advertising or revenue how will this site function? But it seems to me that humans are angry creatures that will never entirely get along. And they have a very real need to go wild and crazy. Without a proper forum to do it in (far away from the rest) it seems the quality of every other forum goes to shite.

Personally this seems like shooting your own foot here. Sure, advertisers might get annoyed at lascivious crap that goes on in the nether regions of mtbr. And there are always going to be idiots who take things too far and ruin it for the rest of us. But if the entire board goes downhill, they won't be interested in advertising here in the first place!

Now it might be possible to police the hell out of it and I've seen many calls for the moderators to do something but that seems like way too much effort. And you'd wind up banning those who get caught up in the silliness.

Maybe if they brought it back with an even larger disclaimer the trolls and pissants would go back to their home?

PS
    I get banned for even bringing this topic up, well it was nice knowing y'all!

Another Retro Grouch
    too funny, you're always ready to chime in with a few choice insults, why not try a some self restraint? If someone doesn't agree with you, they're toothless hicks, too poor to buy a name brand bike/computer/car/etc. you're a snob

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Please report posts that are off topic/political and helps us keep the forum "on topic"

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Please report posts that are off topic/political and helps us keep the forum "on topic"
    i suppose that's what the little exclamation symbol is for.

by gumbo, i'm not afraid to use it!

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Don't think it has as much to do with F-88 closed, but rather has to do with the calendar. Schools out. Happens every year.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Harrumph
    I'd say the normal forums became more "Aggro" when F88 was closed. All the sudden things were randomly derailed by high post count members I've never seen before. I never started a thread about it as it seemed to feed the trolls, but I'll jump on here...there's a poll...I can't help it.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

banned
    Jun 2008
    Can someone explain the history. Being new and all.

Thanks.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme Moore
    Is it just me, or have the policial/social/economic wankfests spilled over into virtually every other damn forum since f88 was shut down? Been a long time lurker here, always loved the copious amounts of useful info and on topic banter. It's like, you actually learned stuff about Mtn biking or something?!

F-88 served the very real role of public pissoir. A urinal for those to relieve themselves in. Now that it's been shut down, it seems we're crapping where we eat!

I know the reasons why it was closed. And yeah, with no advertising or revenue how will this site function? But it seems to me that humans are angry creatures that will never entirely get along. And they have a very real need to go wild and crazy. Without a proper forum to do it in (far away from the rest) it seems the quality of every other forum goes to shite.

Personally this seems like shooting your own foot here. Sure, advertisers might get annoyed at lascivious crap that goes on in the nether regions of mtbr. And there are always going to be idiots who take things too far and ruin it for the rest of us. But if the entire board goes downhill, they won't be interested in advertising here in the first place!

Now it might be possible to police the hell out of it and I've seen many calls for the moderators to do something but that seems like way too much effort. And you'd wind up banning those who get caught up in the silliness.

Maybe if they brought it back with an even larger disclaimer the trolls and pissants would go back to their home?

PS

Recycle Bin: The new F88.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme Moore

PS

LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS!

Hmmmmm
    My problem isn't the off topic content, it's the fact that legit threads, are being hijacked and turned into insulting and political mud slinging fests.

Eric.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    That F88 place really stank, im sure the regulars found somewhere else to stink up, no loss imo

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    too funny, you're always ready to chime in with a few choice insults, why not try a some self restraint? If someone doesn't agree with you, they're toothless hicks, too poor to buy a name brand bike/computer/car/etc. you're a snob
    I think you are missing his point.

I'd have to agree, there does seem to be a lot more off-topic posting as of late. the "do you believe in god" thread a few days ago, as well as the peak oil thread are perfect examples of threads that would have originally remained in f88.

I'd personally bring it back, but in highly moderated form. no brand sniping/criticism.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Strong
    Can someone explain the history. Being new and all.

Thanks.
    here

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    If you don't like OT post don't read 'em. Dork.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Heh heh heh heh

[SIZE="5"]Penis![/SIZE]

Heh heh heh heh
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Double-metric mtb man
    Sure, there have been some agitators stirring things up a bit...but gee whiz, how we've all evolved. Cast off the "bad" folks of f88 and then blame them for every azzhole who wants to thread-jack, call names or hurl insults. Any 15 year old with an attitude is now some alias for one of the f88 crowd... sheesh.

Do I smell "scapegoat" to go with Bert's perceived stink?
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me