No Stranger to danger....

SPAMMERS on this site, its at epidemic proportions and getting out of control.

Well just about every 5th-10th post i go to its full of Spam?
    Whats goin on?
    Why arnt these accounts terminated on the spot and whos job is it to do this?
    Ive noticed that some of these spammers have post counts of 50 odd and some only have a few.
    The spams range from 20 pages on art, to vitamins, to clothes, to software and anything n everything in between..
    Some are in Greek, Spanish, German whats goin on ive never seen a site with more spam and it seems to be growing every day.
    Should we send these peoples names to the management here? send a note to the mods? use this blog to put their names in so the mods can delete them?
    Im more than happy to help out so if a mod is reading this just let me know the right course of action to take and ill do it, but instead of having me PM you 5 times a day maybe we could make a blog to put their user names in so its easy for you to just go through it when you have time and check them out and delete their accounts into oblivion ....

Is this spamming irritating anybody else or is it just me, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Yes, it annoys others. This helps.

Attachment 729591
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPAMMERS on this site, its at epidemic proportions and getting out of control.-spam-help.png  

I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

AAAAAHHH Skullcap, thanks mate i never knew what that was, thanks mate thats gonna be my new fav button, right im on a mission now skull.....

mtbr member
    Go get'em Tiger!
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    We're aware of this and addressing as fast as possible.

trust me..it's a bigger headache for us....

ugh
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Trail Prospector
    Yeah these guys really suuck.
    Gooooooo get 'em Chum!!
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    We're aware of this and addressing as fast as possible.

trust me..it's a bigger headache for us....

ugh
    Cheers Chum, great stuff, take em down like Zombie shootin season, these muppets need to wiped out n eradicated like you eradicate rats n cockroaches, go get em Chum....

mtbr member
    May 2004

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Really character zero, save your condescending dribble for another thread, i know you have been waitin to pull this one out all day seeing though its only just come out, yes we've all seen it and i agree with the sentiments of the ad, and its a good well made ad, but what do you want us or me to do?
    Should i have written i my thread '' look i know there are people in Africa that have no computers or MTBR whose problems are way more serious than spammers on this site, but we have a problem with spammers''
    Dead set what you are alluding to in your post with that video is just silly for this thread, cheers
    Last edited by Tone's; 10-10-2012 at 08:15 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just keeping it in perspective! Condescending? Hardly!

Sorry that the spammers have your panties in a bunch, they are a bit annoying, but you overdramatized it quite a bit. Are they costing you your living? Lifestyle? Hours of your day? Nah, they are merely an inconvenience in a forum that is plagued by larger problems.

Best solution: go for a bike ride. Time for my lunch break (heh, already 5 hours in the office today?), I'll spend it on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Just keeping it in perspective! Condescending? Hardly!

Sorry that the spammers have your panties in a bunch, they are a bit annoying, but you overdramatized it quite a bit. Are they costing you your living? Lifestyle? Hours of your day? Nah, they are merely an inconvenience in a forum that is plagued by larger problems.

Best solution: go for a bike ride. Time for my lunch break (heh, already 5 hours in the office today?), I'll spend it on the trail!
    Of course they are not costing me a living or lifestyle or hours in the day, thats the definition of over dramatising it and being condescending, lol, and to top it off you even throw in the old chestnut 'go for a ride' that'll do me lol

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Actively spamming right now: honiEntittipt and GaullyDax

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    The poor admins are doing as much as they can to nuke them but you are right. They are not only irritating but plentiful.

The best thing to do for now is to use the Report Post function under your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    The poor admins are doing as much as they can to nuke them but you are right. They are not only irritating but plentiful.

The best thing to do for now is to use the Report Post function under your avatar.
    Thanks Girl, ive only just figured out what that button does thanks to Skullcap, that lil buttons gonna get a workout, cheers n thanks

Falls-a-Lot
    When I first logged-on this AM I thought maybe spammers were stalking me, since nearly every thread I had posted in had at least a half-dozen Spam posts right in a row. It's sorta reassuring that I'm not a Spam magnet, heh.
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    Of course they are not costing me a living or lifestyle or hours in the day, thats the definition of over dramatising it and being condescending, lol, and to top it off you even throw in the old chestnut 'go for a ride' that'll do me lol
    At least you took the moment to sign your neg rep, you sissy!

over dramatizing would be calling spam an epidemic.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 10-10-2012 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Having problems too from someone named vaporine and Glyclenny. For some reason the spam isn't showing up on the actual page, just in my email.

Glad you are working on it. Much appreciated. Most of mine is coming through the the "Art Fart" in the Off Camber forum.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    A few solutions I know other forums have used;

One forum limits new posters to a 'Welcome' forum only. Like, a newbie advice forum and maybe a general discussion, something simple like that. You have to make at least 5 posts proving you are a human, and the mods will give you full forum access rights. It also might help with newbies who just come by to ask one question then never come back

Another forum requires you to use a captcha for your first 10 posts, then it goes away. Really annoying for those first 10 posts, but spammers won't waste their time doing 10 captchas and bots or scripts won't be able to get past them.

The vbulletin I have used in the past used whole 'beginner area' thing. A person only needed one post in the one thread there to say 'Hi! I am a human verifying myself! Can I come in and play?'. They still got a spammer in every once in a while, but it was definitely manageable and quickly removed.

Also, the obvious, but just making sure cause you never know... you do have the forum software fully up to date, correct? Because the spam seems to have suddenly gotten out of hand, there may be a new vulnerability that was just discovered and has since been (hopefully) patched.

mtbr member
    If it's just my email, not the actual post itself being spammed, do they have access to my account and password? Just changed passwords in case.

mtbr member
    Bethany, most likely the mods are deleting the spam posts before you see them on the forum. However, the post did still go through and was posted on the forum, then the system automatically sent you a notification of the post. Once the email is sent, the email cannot be unsent on deleted by anyone but you.

Is not amused
    Isn't there a way to set up Vbulletin to have a bot in itself to highlight words? IE G u cc i han d ba gs. That way it would auto block them from posting that? I missed spelled that because I don't if a spam bot will see that and spam this thread with those ba gs. Another thing would be to have it harder to sign up? Something....?

MTB B'dos
    Exactly what I was thinking, the CAPCHA system should eliminate bots, so just check the IPs, guessing they're all from certain regions. Assuming those IPs are getting banned in blocks and then reported to the ISPs as it is ILLEGAL to spam. I'm guessing it's from Europe/Asia given when they seem to show up most.

Tone totally agree with you, it's annoying as hell and for a PITA.

Zero, I really don't give a fvck what people in 3rd world countries are experiencing, or how bad they have it and your constant harping on that crap is getting annoying. Why don't you move to one of those 3rd world countries as a red cross volunteer or something and do something about it instead of annoying people who don't give a rats ass? It's not my problem people in those countries think that "breeding" is a good and fun activity to do and hence the huge populations that are starving, have aids etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    A few solutions I know other forums have used;

One forum limits new posters to a 'Welcome' forum only. Like, a newbie advice forum and maybe a general discussion, something simple like that. You have to make at least 5 posts proving you are a human, and the mods will give you full forum access rights. It also might help with newbies who just come by to ask one question then never come back

Another forum requires you to use a captcha for your first 10 posts, then it goes away. Really annoying for those first 10 posts, but spammers won't waste their time doing 10 captchas and bots or scripts won't be able to get past them.

The vbulletin I have used in the past used whole 'beginner area' thing. A person only needed one post in the one thread there to say 'Hi! I am a human verifying myself! Can I come in and play?'. They still got a spammer in every once in a while, but it was definitely manageable and quickly removed.

Also, the obvious, but just making sure cause you never know... you do have the forum software fully up to date, correct? Because the spam seems to have suddenly gotten out of hand, there may be a new vulnerability that was just discovered and has since been (hopefully) patched.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

I have several anti-spam plugins on my own website. None of them is perfect, but implementing a captcha on posts for new users has stopped spam posts entirely. I occasionally get the odd spammer registration, but they can't manage to post anything.

I use the ReCaptcha system, which I find can be tough for real people, too. But it works. There are some logic captchas out there that work well against bots but are a bit easier for people to use.

I understand that the new thread limit, and the limits on links and pics are there because of previous barrages of spam, but I think making potential new users jump through more hoops (displaying a captcha for a user's first 10 posts would probably help a lot, too) would stop the spam better than attempting to restrict what they can post in the beginning.

because that strategy clearly isn't working...and it created the problem of mindless replies just to boost a newbie's post count to post links, pics, or a new thread.