• 05-04-2012
    mikeridesabike
    Scam buyers on MTBR Classifieds
    I listed an item on MTBR classifieds. Along with a few legitimate inquiries, I got this email:

I am happy to hear that the item is still for sale,I will like to ask

Are you the real owner?

What is the present condition?

How much is the final asking price?

Do you have PayPal ID which payment can be make?

Where is the exact location for the pick up?

I have a shipper that will come over for the pick up
    I will be looking forward to read from you asap

It seems pretty obvious to me that this buyer knows nothing about mountain bikes. I have heard of scams where people pretend to buy something via paypal, then cancel and ask for a cash refund, or something similar. Beware.
  • 05-07-2012
    gregg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I listed an item on MTBR classifieds. Along with a few legitimate inquiries, I got this email:

I am happy to hear that the item is still for sale,I will like to ask

Are you the real owner?

I have a shipper that will come over for the pick up
    I will be looking forward to read from you asap

It seems pretty obvious to me that this buyer knows nothing about mountain bikes. I have heard of scams where people pretend to buy something via paypal, then cancel and ask for a cash refund, or something similar. Beware.

What is this scammer's email address??
  • 05-07-2012
    mikeridesabike
  • 05-08-2012
    mattbryant2
    I have received several emails from this scammer, as well...
  • 05-09-2012
    clyde-the-pointer
    Yea run from that person. Two emails several days apart.
  • 05-09-2012
    gregg
    thanks for the email address, scammer account has been removed and blocked
  • 05-21-2012
    RE25
    Scam alert
    This is my first post and wanted to share my experiance on the classified ads. I had posted in my 1998 Santa Cruz Super 8 in the classified ads and recieved one response so far and it is a scam. All the questions on the warning about the scam were there. The scammer is

kennydon109atyahoo.com I could not put the address in right due to not having 10 posts

I hope this helps weed out some of this activity from a great site,
  • 05-21-2012
    RE25
    BTW there name in the email was SANDRA also so they are using a new yahoo email
  • 05-21-2012
    gregg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RE25 View Post
    This is my first post and wanted to share my experiance on the classified ads. I had posted in my 1998 Santa Cruz Super 8 in the classified ads and recieved one response so far and it is a scam. All the questions on the warning about the scam were there. The scammer is

kennydon109atyahoo.com I could not put the address in right due to not having 10 posts

I hope this helps weed out some of this activity from a great site,

Thanks for the info, this scammer has been removed.
  • 09-16-2012
    bikeland
    Scam
    this scam was just mailed to me: all these came from a ;
    "Jennifer List"
    Santa Cruz

I got ur sale toward the Item u posted sell/buy If u accept Paypal as Payment email me (listjennifer314@yahoo.com)

.................................................. .................................................. ...........

THAT WAS THE FIRST MAIL, THEN CAME:

I am happy to hear that the item is still for sale,I will like to ask you the following questions.

Are you the real owner?

I have a shipper that will come over for the pick up I will be looking forward to read from you asap

Best Regard...

.................................................. .....................
    THEN THE LATEST MAIL I RECEIVED TODAY AFTER I MENTIONED THAT THE PREVIOUS MAILS SEEMED LIKE A SCAM:

Thanks for mailing back, i'm an honest and straight person and always want to be treat the same way, are your sure of the item condition? this is only what can make me to be worry, i am an oceanographer and i am buying this item for my cousin, i am at sea right now,and I can only pay through Paypal and you can put the Paypal charges on me because as at present, i don't have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my Paypal account,and this is why am using Paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email or paypal invoice to make the payments, i'm using a private pick up agent for the pick up, after payments has been sorted and will also handle the paper works.I will contact the pick up agent with your location? So that I can know how much it will cost me for the pick up, the pick up agent still have some more items to be pick up for me, payment will be make to you as soon as you get back to me with your paypal email address, I will be looking forward to hear back from you ASAP.

Thanks and God bless.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF THIS..
    I almost sent my paypal info until I researched further. Thanks to this Forum I feel I was just saved a big hassle and a possible lose of money:)
  • 09-18-2012
    Mrwhlr
    Just develop a canned response: "In order to verify that you're illegitimate, please send photos of your parents' wedding night sheets."
  • 12-26-2012
    berg
    Here is another scammer's email address I got in reply to my ad from my 2009 Yeti.

christyj762@yahoo.com
    They asked the same questions as the previous posts.

Thanks!

Genny
  • 12-27-2012
    Wasmachineman NL
    Isn't it a good idea to ban @Yahoo.com adresses on Mtbr?
  • 01-02-2013
    gregg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by berg View Post
    Here is another scammer's email address I got in reply to my ad from my 2009 Yeti.

christyj762@yahoo.com
    They asked the same questions as the previous posts.

Thanks!

Genny

Thanks for the alert, Genny! Deleted.
  • 01-15-2013
    Rob L
    Here's the latest:

Hello Seller,
    Thanks for your swift message, I'm really sorry for my late response towards this message, I'm Okay with the condition and price. I will add extra $20 to your asking price to ensure the sale is complete, I'm here to let you know, that I cannot afford to loose this ' Bike ' from you, I want to be the new owner, Please Consider it SOLD Already to me, and do not sell it to another person.

My Local Collector will be coming for the pickup from you, without giving you any problem, they will be coming to your location for the pickup, I will be sending you a Instant Payment by my Monthly Pay Day US Bank Draft or Cashier's Bank Check, Post Money Order, when you get it clears into your account, then my Local Movers Collector will come and pick up the Item from you. I am so sorry that I'm unable to come and take a look at this Item, it was due to my New Year Vacation and my location is very far, but am sure it is in good condition as you have claimed.

Send me your details for the Payment below such as:

Your Full Name on the Payment#
    Your Full Contact Address#
    Your Postal Code#
    Your State/City #
    Total Selling Price#
    Your Home Phone Num#
    Your Office Phone Num#

Please get back to me with the requested details so that the payment can be send to you as soon as possible, I await your reply soon.
    Best Regards.

Tina..

dennismarknov@yahoo.com
  • 01-15-2013
    Joe Mama
    I'm selling 2 totally unrelated items and got the same scam emails as above for both items:

Hi Seller,
    I'm interested in your Advert posted here, please only write back to my private email, dennismarknov@yahoo.com
  • 01-15-2013
    gregg
    Thanks Rob and Joe, that scammer has been deleted.