meh....

Read and Unread thread headings....

How can I keep all unread thread headings BOLD? It's been mentioned before, but no info posted back. If I look at a thread it goes unbold(?). Even if I just look at the opening page all the previous thread headings go unbold, even if I haven't read any of them. I can't find a setting for this action. And if a new post is added to a thread it doesn't seem to get changed to unread (bold) as it seems like it should.

Monte

34N 118W

mind of it's own

it seems like it should be straightforward:

read = unbold
    not read = bold

but it doesn't work that way. I asked about it early on but the only answer I got was it was an isolated issue with my cookie settings. Nope. The old forum performed correctly, with no changes to my browser settings.

I tried the "Mark forums read" link at top-right, but that just wipes them all out. They all go unbold, which is OK to see anything new that pops up, but it doesn't stick. Threads that have been read mysteriously turn bold again.

have a beer and laugh out loud.
    HW

Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    How can I keep all unread thread headings BOLD? It's been mentioned before, but no info posted back. If I look at a thread it goes unbold(?). Even if I just look at the opening page all the previous thread headings go unbold, even if I haven't read any of them. I can't find a setting for this action. And if a new post is added to a thread it doesn't seem to get changed to unread (bold) as it seems like it should.

Monte

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

here's what I've figured out so far....

This apparently doesn't seem to apply to everyone, but this is what is happening for me.

Once I view a thread, it goes from bold to regular. If that thread gets a new post, it goes back to bold, but in a slightly different shade, and obviously jumps to the top. There is a break point on a Forum page where all the threads below are regular non-bold type; this break point corresponds to my "You last visited xxx hours ago". Same goes for posts within a thread; little blue pages=posts beyond "You last visited", little white page=posts made since I last visited. But, none of that helps in tracking what posts you've read versus not read.

Unread threads remain boldest until they drift past my last visited time, then go regular.

There is something strange about the "You last visited" time, however which I have yet to determine.

Your mileage may vary, as there seems to be a lot of variety in how the thing works for different folks.

34N 118W

makes sense, but...

I've seen threads go back to bold after I've read them, with "0" replies/posts listed in the column.

your other info helps though -- thanks,
    HW

Quote Originally Posted by alibi
    This apparently doesn't seem to apply to everyone, but this is what is happening for me.

Once I view a thread, it goes from bold to regular. If that thread gets a new post, it goes back to bold, but in a slightly different shade, and obviously jumps to the top. There is a break point on a Forum page where all the threads below are regular non-bold type; this break point corresponds to my "You last visited xxx hours ago". Same goes for posts within a thread; little blue pages=posts beyond "You last visited", little white page=posts made since I last visited. But, none of that helps in tracking what posts you've read versus not read.

Unread threads remain boldest until they drift past my last visited time, then go regular.

There is something strange about the "You last visited" time, however which I have yet to determine.

Your mileage may vary, as there seems to be a lot of variety in how the thing works for different folks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

yep, that happens to me too...

but only when I close down the browser, then come back; everything I've read, regardless of new posts or not, goes bold. Something about what "visited" means I think.

It's all too much...