Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ballbuster

Petition to eliminate anonymous 'Reputation'

I like the Reputation system that was added to these forums about a year ago.

But....

I strongly think we should eliminate the ability to leave negative reps, and move to a system another poster suggested here:

Forum Reputation and Rep Power. What is it?

I think it would add to the whole community vibe on these forums, while cutting down on the Dee-baggery.

Who's with me?

mtbr member
    I agree with you Bender. I am newer to the forum and I have received two neg. and two positive rep.'s. Both times the neg. rep included a nasty remark. Both times I felt that the neg. rep was dished out because a fellow user had an ax to grind, not necessarily w/ me.

I have considered deleting my account due to this system because it seems only to set people up for failure, to turn them into internet enabled bullies. For the time being I will stay because I like the insights I can gain from the vast majority of friendly users.

Let us rethink and refine this system so as not to alienate members but to empower them, to join in our community of off-road bicycle riders.

mtbr member
    This is copied from one of my other posts on the rep system:

Personally, I think the anonym rep system is the biggest piece of 5h!t to have been implemented for forums. There's a HUGE stink about it on the CO/Front Range forum. Whoever decided that it was a good idea, needs to extract his/her head from their rectum!

Watch me get banned for this because I've hurt the "super" mod's prissy little ego

Edit: so no ban, but some pvssy gave me an unsigned (-) rep for "insulting the mods"...HAHAHAHA! I don't know if that idiot sees the irony!
    Last edited by Pau11y; 08-24-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I agree.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

unpossibles
    Reputation is the worst idea to ever make its way into vBulletin. It does nothing but foster clique-e-ness and makes for an unpleasant experience for folks that are new to forums in general. Allowing anonymous rep just compounds the issue ten fold.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_SL2 View Post
    Reputation is the worst idea to ever make its way into vBulletin. It does nothing but foster clique-e-ness and makes for an unpleasant experience for folks that are new to forums in general. Allowing anonymous rep just compounds the issue ten fold.
    I think that's a bit extreme, but I do think that anonymous reputation is no good.

I think that the reputation feature has helped clean things up a bit here. There are far less useless and azzholish posts than there used to be, which I suppose is the point. Adding a signature to negative reputation would help to curb negative reps for simple disagreements. The majority of my negative reps are because somebody didn't agree with my point of view, not so much because my post was crappy. While reputation means very little in the grand scheme of things, it's frustrating to get dinged for sharing an opinion.

Reputation received for this post:
    Petition to eliminate... 08-29-2012 11:15 PM Boo
    Last edited by BShow; 08-30-2012 at 06:58 AM.

unpossibles
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I think that's a bit extreme, but I do think that anonymous reputation is no good.

I think that the reputation feature has helped clean things up a bit here. There are far less ******y posts than there used to be, which is a good thing for sure. Adding a signature to negative reputation would help to curb negative reps for simple disagreements. The majority of my negative reps are because somebody didn't agree with my point of view, not so much because my post was crappy. While reputation means very little in the grand scheme of things, it's frustrating to get dinged for sharing an opinion.
    My perspective on this issue is that of a forum admin so take it with a grain of salt. I've never been able to implement it without it detracting from the community and becoming an epidemic of petty, childish behavior. Half the folks on the forums I've run are arseholes though.

ballbuster

Second that....

I think that the reputation feature has helped clean things up a bit here. There are far less useless and azzholish posts than there used to be, which I suppose is the point. Adding a signature to negative reputation would help to curb negative reps for simple disagreements. The majority of my negative reps are because somebody didn't agree with my point of view, not so much because my post was crappy. While reputation means very little in the grand scheme of things, it's frustrating to get dinged for sharing an opinion.
    I don't hate the rep system. I just wish it wasn't anonymous.

< rant >
    A problem with today's society is that so many of us hide behind anonymity. I wish we had more of 'say what we mean and mean what we say... and I stand behind it

< /rant >

That said, I'm a bit of a hypocrite on the issue. I had a psycho stalker ex-girlfriend who I know for a fact is still looking for me. She actually found a friend of mine and was grinding at him for details about me. I don't want to put too many personal details out there to be googled by her, or I know I'll end up with slashed tires and a harassed family. All I did to her was an honest break-up when I found out how insane she was, and that was like 20 years ago.

Those who know me personally, know me.

Paste eater
    I'm going to say one thing and one thing only. Then i'm out. If you are going to get your panties in a bunch of a rep system, then you have bigger issues at hand. Now, I'm off to save the world. The internets world that is...

mtbr member
    what if im not wearing any underwear

mtbr member
    I just got neg raped for my first comment on this thread. The neg. reper's comment..."relax"

possibilities as to why this happened...
    1) perhaps my comment was harsh?
    2) perhaps this person finds humor in poking a dead horse w/ a stick
    3) perhaps this might illustrate exactly the problem w/ the system in place

...internet bullies rejoice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Get rid of it! It's the lamest, most juvenile thing. At the very least make the 12 year old girls who do it leave their REAL NAME. Not their screen name. If you are gonna leave some of the racist, homophobic, bully bull crap that some guys leave you should be man enough to put your name on it.

TR
    Angry bunny

I would prefer the useless and a55hole-ish posts as at least that way you and others can respond to them and let the poster know that they are an e-tool.
    But the fact of the matter is that Francois and Gregg have no interest in changing it despite the outcry about it since the start. I have personally PM'ed Gregg on the topic and he basically said "we will look into it".

mtbr member
    Say something negative about a 29 er or 650B topic and see what kind of negative rep you get, its childish and ridiculous.

mtbr member
    I wish I could say a change to the rep system (besides its elimination #1) would be helpful, productive, but over in the oh-so more mature RBR -where rep is not anonymous- if I give out very deserving neg rep (for just about sheer ******-baggery), the generally mass green repped poster just hands it back. (Hunts you down.)
    Stupid. No one I assume has the self control. The gentlemen over in RBR sure don't.

TR
    Angry bunny
    The only e-tool here is you for not supporting our petition.
    Good one.
    and D- if you cannot read between the lines of my post and work out in your pea brain that I do support getting rid of this retarded system.

I also support getting a face palm smiley installed.

mtbr member
    Please add me to your sad, pathetic list of e-tools. The rep system is a joke. As if the thumb sucking, arrested development majority isn't mind****ed enough by the spirit of democracy as it is.

I'm also sick of this big baby business of crying like a little girl every time someone leaves you neg rep. Let's face it, if you are so worriied about your precious rep count, you deserve neg rep for that alone.

Just get rid of it. That way those people who log on here for reasons other than listening to people *****ing about their precious rep can get back to the MTB related stuff.

Perhaps we could have a petition to start a cry baby forum for all you neg rep cry babies.
    Last edited by MagicCarpet; 08-04-2012 at 06:33 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    I personally think it's (rep system) OK, and somewhat useful
    responsible users sign their rep - no big deal.
    If you get a signed rep that is negative, the user has basically sent you a 'message' that your post may be out of line or something.
    I have gotten a few signed ones, clicked on the link to see the post I made, and then thought - yeah...I was being kinda duushy - or, ok, I don't agree, but whatever!

The best aspect of neg-rep is the guys who get red dots, and that lets others know (especially newer people) that whom ever is not a good contributor.

Having a crapload of green dots is not as indicative as the red dots IMO - some like I, or AZ, or CHUM, (oh and the OP 'Bender' too! )just happen to post more, which simply gives more of a statistical chance of a pos rep.
    People who don't post as much, but offer more value (IMO) in their posts like mikesee, squash, MikeT etc. deserve more, but won't - again stats.

summary, I like it , it's not perfect, but it let's you know who the trolls/idiots are
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    waaaa. Some bastard just pos repped me. You scum bag. waaaaa.

I hope you signed that, because if I ever find out where I can actually see that crap and you didn't sign it, I'm gonna have to come back and accuse you of all sorts o' ****.

Friggin' pos reppin' scuuuuuuuuuuum.

waaaaaaa.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    waaaa. Some bastard just pos repped me. You scum bag. waaaaa.

I hope you signed that, because if I ever find out where I can actually see that crap and you didn't sign it, I'm gonna have to come back and accuse you of all sorts o' ****.

Friggin' pos reppin' scuuuuuuuuuuum.

waaaaaaa.
    Magic
    Do you behave like a wanker on EVERY forum you are on, or just the one's where you and I are both members?
    Grow up.

There, that is how people who have an opinion on someone's posts should handle it.

mtbr member
    TR
    Do you behave like a whining, whinging wanker who thinks the whole world needs to conform to their view of everything on EVERY forum you are on, or just the one's where you and I are both members?
    Grow up.

There, that is how people who have an opinion on someone's posts should handle it.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Always good to see you use mature responses when responding to criticism too.

mtbr member
    Always good to see you using personally abusive reponses when responding to absolutely anything you disagree with, which is your personal trademark.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Haters gonna hate.
    Have a nice life.

~Disc~Golf~
    Another reason to use a neg rep is when users take up space bickering between each other about apparent personal differences and OT to the OP

Honestly... ahh I give up

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast