Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    The rep system is what it is, and as a feature on this board, it could stand the improvement of not being anonymous anymore.
    If the rep system wasn't anonymous, either pos or neg, than people would perhaps think more about a comment they make before calling someone names for no reason. For some reason, It seems far easier to cut someone down than to give them a thumbs-up.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    "ass", that doesn't even make the top 50, pathetic.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    well said Oscar. in general it seems the attitude of MTBR is quite positive. I'd imagine the anonymous negative rep occurrences are few, but they are so (understandably) irritating that they get a lot of attention.

someone mentioned earlier in the thread that we should just eliminate neg rep entirely. I agree with that guy. he must be really handsome, charming and very funny.

the world hardly needs more outlets for negativity. And look, (I'm not a big fan...but...) Facebook is one of the biggest web sites and cultural phenomenons in history. there's no dislike button. love 'em or hate 'em, with 1 billion members they must know something!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    well said Oscar. in general it seems the attitude of MTBR is quite positive. I'd imagine the anonymous negative rep occurrences are few, but they are so (understandably) irritating that they get a lot of attention.

someone mentioned earlier in the thread that we should just eliminate neg rep entirely. I agree with that guy. he must be really handsome, charming and very funny.

the world hardly needs more outlets for negativity. And look, (I'm not a big fan...but...) Facebook is one of the biggest web sites and cultural phenomenons in history. there's no dislike button. love 'em or hate 'em, with 1 billion members they must know something!
    Thanks. It is amazing that a small minority of peeps get so much attention by being negative or offensive in some cases that the whole rep system needs an overhaul. This just to take away the 'safety' of anonymity. Once that wall is taken down, these folks can be dealt with by the community at large and will thus disappear IMHO.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    sometimes i am reading a post, and i ask, it it just me, or is this guy a jerk? and then i look at the rep, and if it's red, then i decide not to take him too seriously. in that way, it's helpful, i think.

Loves to suffer
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    +1! Here's a couple more things I've noticed. YouTube will show what videos a user has "liked". That feature can be turned off or on by the user. However, it will not show who has used that @$% troll-down, er, thumbs-down button. It is also full of hateful comments. Just look at any popular video. It's enough to make your blood boil!

Vimeo and Contour.com don't have a dislike button. Vimeo also states that "The Vimeo community is one of the Internetís most positive, supportive, and passionate." Go here and scroll down to "Speech Guidelines" to read more. Needless to say, I haven't seen any of the hate and stupidity that seems to infest YouTube on Vimeo or Contour.

I believe that YouTube's anonymous dislike button encourages trolling, IMHO. Same thing for anonymous rep .

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    +1! Here's a couple more things I've noticed. YouTube will show what videos a user has "liked". That feature can be turned off or on by the user. However, it will not show who has used that @$% troll-down, er, thumbs-down button. It is also full of hateful comments. Just look at any popular video. It's enough to make your blood boil!

Vimeo and Contour.com don't have a dislike button. Vimeo also states that "The Vimeo community is one of the Internetís most positive, supportive, and passionate." Go here and scroll down to "Speech Guidelines" to read more. Needless to say, I haven't seen any of the hate and stupidity that seems to infest YouTube on Vimeo or Contour.

I believe that YouTube's anonymous dislike button encourages trolling, IMHO. Same thing for anonymous rep .
    I do think there is a place for neg rep. I very rarely neg, but when I do I sign my name. Because of that, I make my negs mellow and factual and I have not been retaliated against. I've receive some negs, and NONE have been signed. Almost all of them have been BS or inflammatory. I think direct 1-to-1 feedback is important to humanize the internet.

again I point to the Arizona Republic's comment system. About a year ago they blocked comments unless you tied it to your FB account. Still plenty of dislikes, but the entire tone of the comments have become much more civil and on-topic. Used to be comments were totally political and hateful to the point that there was no point reading them.

Please please please remove anon reps but keep rep in general.

AZ
    banned
    If the admin makes it transparent, neg rep is going to become very popular when those once anonymous users have names attached to them. Just sayin.

Loves to suffer
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    I do think there is a place for neg rep. I very rarely neg, but when I do I sign my name. Because of that, I make my negs mellow and factual and I have not been retaliated against. I've receive some negs, and NONE have been signed. Almost all of them have been BS or inflammatory. I think direct 1-to-1 feedback is important to humanize the internet.

again I point to the Arizona Republic's comment system. About a year ago they blocked comments unless you tied it to your FB account. Still plenty of dislikes, but the entire tone of the comments have become much more civil and on-topic. Used to be comments were totally political and hateful to the point that there was no point reading them.

Please please please remove anon reps but keep rep in general.
    I agree. None of the negs I received were signed either, and they were all BS inflammatory comments from trolls.

The only time I gave neg rep was to spammers and a certain infamous troll, and I signed it every time. Probably a waste of time, but it felt good! The spammers and the troll didn't have time to attempt to retaliate (no rep power to do so anyway), as they were banned rather quickly.

One of our local TV stations got rid of the dislike button in their comment section. Others have gone to the Facebook commenting system like in your example.

mtbr member
    This sums up the problem quite nicely...

Petition to eliminate anonymous 'Reputation'-215499488_8pszr-l-2.jpg

As others have said, anonymity is the issue. If rep is tied to your account name, the rep comments will become more civil. Even more so if it's tied to your FB account...

Unedited version here.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    but when I do I sign my name.
    I do not. No reason to be on a receiving end of a hissy fit, even if the neg rep was deserved.

Judging by the relative lack of people in the red - and those who are more often then not deserve it - system is not being abused.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I agree. None of the negs I received were signed either, and they were all BS inflammatory comments from trolls.
    And yet here you are at 103 rep power. Does it bother you that somebody trolled you?

Does not bother me, and I have had quite a few.

Loves to suffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    And yet here you are at 103 rep power. Does it bother you that somebody trolled you?

Does not bother me, and I have had quite a few.
    It doesn't affect me personally, but I would love to remove the ability for trolls to get their jollies by cowardly acts. It's not me that they hurt. It's the newbies with one green square and 0 rep power who may be discouraged by their rudeness.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    It doesn't affect me personally, but I would love to remove the ability for trolls to get their jollies by cowardly acts. It's not me that they hurt. It's the newbies with one green square and 0 rep power who may be discouraged by their rudeness.
    "Cowardly act"? Really? Would you prefer a sock-puppet account trolling you?

Say you get a neg rep from "Axe" (not that I actually neg repped you). You really know that fellow? What would you do but go and troll/insult him in turn?

Loves to suffer
    "Cowardly act"? Really? Would you prefer a sock-puppet account trolling you?

Say you get a neg rep from "Axe" (not that I actually neg repped you). You really know that fellow? What would you do but go and troll/insult him in turn?
    I would suspect that it was another user signing your name, not you. I would PM you and ask you if you neg repped me and why, not neg rep you.

I prefer to work things out like a mature adult, because if you actually did neg rep me, chances are it was because of a misunderstanding. The internet lacks emotion, unlike face-to-face communication. This can and has caused plenty of posts to be taken out of context.

Based on the neg reps I and other posters have received, yes, they were cowardly acts. None of them were signed, and none of them were actually earned by d-bag behavior. They were sent by trolls.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Based on the neg reps I and other posters have received, yes, they were cowardly acts. None of them were signed, and none of them were actually earned by d-bag behavior. They were sent by trolls.
    So what? When you take a dump in a public toilet and the stall wall is decorated with obscenities and stylized penis pictures - does it upset you?

Loves to suffer
    So what? When you take a dump in a public toilet and the stall wall is decorated with obscenities and stylized penis pictures - does it upset you?
    Of course not, but I'm more concerned about the effect the anonymous neg rep has on newbies, not myself .

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Of course not, but I'm more concerned about the effect the anonymous neg rep has on newbies, not myself .
    They may be a newb to this site, but they are probably not newbs to da interwebz.

This place is calm and zen in comparison.

Loves to suffer
    They may be a newb to this site, but they are probably not newbs to da interwebz.

This place is calm and zen in comparison.
    True, which is why I spend most of my time here instead of other cycling sites. I ride road too, but I don't feel like I fit in very well on RBR, especially in their off-topic subforum. Ours is the best!

parenting for gnarness
    I do not. No reason to be on a receiving end of a hissy fit, even if the neg rep was deserved.
    sure, i understand that completely. But for me its kinda more about holding my own e-behavior to a standard of personal conduct, for my own peace of mind. Its too easy to lose all perspective online.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    ..none of them were actually earned by d-bag behavior.
    says you, right? people who are jerks seldom realize it. how many threads have you read where someone was being an absolute toad, and the complained about getting neg rep for it. They fully deserved it, but still feel like they didn't.

you are subject to a particular kind of weirdo neg-repper, and get plenty that you don't deserve, but a majority of neg-rep is deserved. and a majority is not due to someone just disagreeing, but due to people being needlessly rude. slim majorities, perhaps, but still majorities, i bet.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    says you, right? people who are jerks seldom realize it. how many threads have you read where someone was being an absolute toad, and the complained about getting neg rep for it. They fully deserved it, but still feel like they didn't.

you are subject to a particular kind of weirdo neg-repper, and get plenty that you don't deserve, but a majority of neg-rep is deserved. and a majority is not due to someone just disagreeing, but due to people being needlessly rude. slim majorities, perhaps, but still majorities, i bet.

Much of the neg rep is deserved. Most complaints about getting neg rep are veiled in the anonymity of it, not whether it was deserved or not. Much ado about nothing? Myself, I don't care one way or another about the anonymity of it. The troll rep I do. I don't have a solution though. Obviously rep is thriving despite all its short comings so it is likely to be around for a while. My two cents.

Loves to suffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post

I have seen the threads with the d-bags. I agree with you there.

I forgot to clarify that there were certain threads where people said they got neg rep, and I know for a fact that they didn't say anything in that particular thread that warranted a neg rep. Sorry for the confusion .

mtbr member
    How do you get Rep Power in the 100's with under 1000 posts? Must be a lot of back patting going on.

sock puppet
    thank you

oggie

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast