43 84.31%
  • No

7 13.73%
  • Input in response below

1 1.96%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Is not amused

Petition for CAPCHA system

Starting a poll that there should be a CAPCHA system put into effect to kill the spam on this site. Reporting it does squat if no one is around. As of lately numerous threads have been started about this subject.

This system should have new members to enter a CAPCHA to sign up. Require a CAPCHA for the first 15 post, which should be reviewed because some spammers are non-bots who add spam within their post.

Post any input into this idea or vote.

Retired User
    I vote for retinal screening and fingerprinting.

Suckin wind like a boss
    captcha is built right into vbulletin, easy to implement and stops *most* bots right off the bat. with this older version of vbulletin there are plugins that can be used too, to help alleviate and control auto-registration programs and keep the bots in check.

the spam is getting ridiculous lately, and having to wait 60 seconds between reports is equally ridiculous.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post

the spam is getting ridiculous lately, and having to wait 60 seconds between reports is equally ridiculous.
    I thought it funny that it's easier to spam than it is to report it.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

No Stranger to danger....
    Good idea Hutch, thats a big yes from me.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Captcha also blows.

pin it
    Good idea.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

MTB B'dos
    I do believe that MTBR has implemented this system for the first 20 posts as I've seen some funky posts that seem like spam, but have no spam content, just bad grammatical copies of previous replies. Also think they've extended the inability to post links to the same 20 or maybe more posts. Well done MTBR if this is indeed the case.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Captcha also blows.
    deleted hehe
    Last edited by Tone's; 10-16-2012 at 10:02 PM.

mtbr member
    I run a music related forum and spammers are abundent. I have basically shut down new registration because they are so persistent. I have 8,000 people waiting to be approved as new members. I am thinking about 10 might be legit.

mtbr member
    an alternative to a Capcha would be a simple human question like "How many wheels does a bike have?" or "What color is grass?"

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWallwart View Post
    an alternative to a Capcha would be a simple human question like "How many wheels does a bike have?" or "What color is grass?"
    maybe, but this site has such high traffic that it's a gold mine for spammers. A simple question like that would just take one person to look at the registration form and program it into a bot to circumvent.

Captcha also blows.
    putting a robust captcha on the registration page is a small inconvenience to stop the recent flood of spam. even making new users fill it out for their first few posts is but a minor inconvenience. add a human question to the mix like Larry suggested and you have a good start for spam protection. there has to be some kind of adaptive spam filter (identifies key words in posts) for vBulletin. I use one on my website, which uses Wordpress. It in combination with the captcha has stopped spam dead. the recent spam posts are nothing but key words. Flag less than a week's worth of those posts and the filters ought to have a solid handle on the problem.

Ride More, Whine Less
    I would hate to have to type a phrase to post, but if it could be triggered based on number of posts or frequency of posts per hour, I would vote yes. That said, I actually can't vote at the moment since I'm on tapatalk, so consider this feedback subject to change.

~~~~~
    Edit: I fired up Safari and voted. I threw the first see comment below vote. So for my comment, it should read see vote in poll above.
    Last edited by heyyall; 10-16-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I would hate to have to type a phrase to post, but if it could be triggered based on number of posts or frequency of posts per hour, I would vote yes. That said, I actually can't vote at the moment since I'm on tapatalk, so consider this feedback subject to change.
    I voted yes and like this idea!

Fat & Single
    We definately need something in place, they are spamming posts that are 4 years old then people reply as if it was a new topic.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Dissolved member
    Lotsa green chicklets == no capcha!

(poor DC...)

Fat-tired Roadie
    How about CAPCHA for registration only? If it stops the 'bots, that should take a good chunk out of the spam even if humans still get through from time to time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    maybe, but this site has such high traffic that it's a gold mine for spammers. A simple question like that would just take one person to look at the registration form and program it into a bot to circumvent.
    There would be multiple rotating questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi
    I am new here but I understand your woes on to CAPTCHA or not to CAPTCHA. I am active on a few other forums where it is an endless dilemma due to the rapid influx of spam.

Unfortunately CAPTCHAS do put people off commenting and, from my personal experience, they seem to definitely reduce the flow of conversation on a forum.

Also, they are inaccessible to a lot of people. I am dyslexic and I find them pretty much impossible to read, let alone people who are colour blind etc.

I have ended up having to use a captcha bypass browser extension called rumola to read the captchas for me due to their prevalence on the web. Has anyone else tried any captcha reading software?

Maybe a captcha that relies on picture matching would be good? I was reading about them the other day but I can't remember what they are called!

The whole situation is a bit of a really!

Is not amused
    ^^^

Captchas are also audible.

For new members this really isn't that big of a deal if you are a human. The idea behind the 10 post for Captchas would help stop spam specifically spam bots. On top of that system there should be a simple question as well like LarryWallwart said. Both of these used together for new members would help kill most if not all the spam on this site. If answering a couple questions to allow new members on this site is that big of a deal, people should not be on the internet.

it should have been implimented yesterday..

Is not amused
    One other thing, for me the spam on here only appears to happen around the same time every night for me. Not sure about the day since I'm usually not on here but around 1 AM here, this is when I usually notice it. It goes on till the early morning.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Sounds like there may be some people at work on the other side of the world. Of course if that is the case, the chapcha solution would be defeated. Hum, what to do....

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Sounds like there may be some people at work on the other side of the world. Of course if that is the case, the chapcha solution would be defeated. Hum, what to do....
    Lately it has been about bags, travel, medical, and Russian stuff. Even when I first signed up here I noticed threads that were odd like, "is this to sexy for my sister to wear" those where kind of funny.

So Admin and Mods. What are you going to do? To me this would make your job easier.

In check, your move.

Name:  how_to_play_chess_checkmate.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  8.1 KB

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by tone's l'axeman View Post
    it should have been implimented yesterday..
    bump.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast