viva la v-brakes!

Oldschool Join Date

So, I'm pretty sure I've been using MTBR and posting reviews since at least 1998. My user name is partially derrived from a race number from a race I did in 1995, so possibly even longer. Yet my Join Date is listed as 2003?

Now all these young whipper snappers and their new fangled "Reputation" seem like they've got more street cred then me.

Was 2003 when y'all started tracking 'member since' or is there some other reason for this date? Can the clock be turned back somehow so I can show off just how old and crusty I am now?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    We had a forum software change in 2004, so that reset everyone.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    So, I'm pretty sure I've been using MTBR and posting reviews since at least 1998. My user name is partially derrived from a race number from a race I did in 1995, so possibly even longer. Yet my Join Date is listed as 2003?

Now all these young whipper snappers and their new fangled "Reputation" seem like they've got more street cred then me.

Was 2003 when y'all started tracking 'member since' or is there some other reason for this date? Can the clock be turned back somehow so I can show off just how old and crusty I am now?
    If you search the old archived mtbr forums you can probably find your old posts. Find the oldest one, link it to me and I will change the date to that one. You will notice that both gregg and I are before 2004 and there are some other users with similar join dates.
    Try this: HTFU

viva la v-brakes!
    This seems a little silly and self-absorbed, but now I'm curious just how long ago I did join, and what I was posting about back then. How does one search the old archived forums?

I noticed you guys also have gotten rid of (archived?) old product reviews. I was looking yesterday for reviews I wrote on old parts I had way back when but couldn't find, for some silly reason, components that haven't been available for sale for 10 or 15 years. Do you have that stuff archived somewhere too?

workin' it Administrator
    This seems a little silly and self-absorbed, but now I'm curious just how long ago I did join, and what I was posting about back then. How does one search the old archived forums?

I noticed you guys also have gotten rid of (archived?) old product reviews. I was looking yesterday for reviews I wrote on old parts I had way back when but couldn't find, for some silly reason, components that haven't been available for sale for 10 or 15 years. Do you have that stuff archived somewhere too?

not sure about the archive reviews but you can find the archive forums here: Mountain Bike Review Forum Archives

I used the google search of "my user name" site:http://archive.mtbr.com and sorted by date on google to find my approximate join date. When the change over happened I went from rock crusher to rockcrusher so it made it harder to find for me.

viva la v-brakes!
    I'm not sure that search is working right for me, or, at least I am getting some weird results. When I do it I only get about 50 results, all from 2003. Shouldn't I get newer results too?

In one of the threads that I started (apparently I was just "FishMan" back then) that I came up with from Sept. 2003, a user named aerohead commented: "Good to see you back on the board after a long hiatus!"

Mountain Bike Review Forum Archives

I wonder how long of a hiatus that was? I moved that summer and took a 3 week long vacation, was it just over the summer or from a previous year or what?

How old are the forums?

workin' it Administrator
    I'm not sure that search is working right for me, or, at least I am getting some weird results. When I do it I only get about 50 results, all from 2003. Shouldn't I get newer results too?

In one of the threads that I started (apparently I was just "FishMan" back then) that I came up with from Sept. 2003, a user named aerohead commented: "Good to see you back on the board after a long hiatus!"

Mountain Bike Review Forum Archives

I wonder how long of a hiatus that was? I moved that summer and took a 3 week long vacation, was it just over the summer or from a previous year or what?

How old are the forums?
    I searched for your user as well and only got a 2003 date. They go back to 2001 I think. Perhaps you had another name you used?

viva la v-brakes!
    It looks like I was just "FishMan" in the early days. 2003 wasn't that long ago... my early days of online jabbering about bikes must have been on newsgroups like rec.bicycles.off-road.

I must have just used the reviews at MTBR previous to that.

viva la v-brakes!
    I found a couple old trail reviews I wrote on June 3rd, 1999. So that might have been around when I started using the site. You didn't have to be logged in back then, but I still signed the reviews as "FishMan". FWIW.

Kickapoo State Park Illinois Trail Reviews
    Knoch Knolls Park Illinois Trail Reviews

Its been a real voyage of discovery.