Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    (Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator

New Mtbr Classifieds!

Hello All,

Mtbr has now launched a brand new Classifieds system. This new system has many great features and more security than our old system. Please read about the features, and if you have any questions/comments/concerns, please post them to this thread here.

Link to the New Classifieds is:
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/index.php

Some of the new features are:

1.) Registration is the same as the forums (and photo gallery). No more separate usernames and passwords

2.) Better security through a more thorough registration process, seller feedback ratings, and forum reputation/post count as a guide to the user's reliability

3.) You can now use Paypal to pay for your ads

4.) You can utilize Paypal within the ad, for product payment

5.) New Categories! Including 29er bikes, Vintage Bikes, and Vintage parts

6.) You can enter your zip code to see distance of seller to your location

7.) We still have the "Latest Ads Posted" page (aka Daily Market) with RSS feed!

8.) The old "checklist" feature is now known as the "Watch List", to help you mark certain ads to keep track of.

9.) You can post comments directly to the ads

I'm sure there are others, and I will be adding more info to this thread, as is needed.

Stay tuned.

Thanks,

-gregg, MikeG, and the Mtbr crew
    Last edited by gregg; 01-17-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    It sounds great Gregg!

The better payment options and increased security should be a real advantage. Are advertisement prices going to change at all?

How are you going to implement the new system - will it be run side by side with the old system until the old advertisements have expired, or will you be transferring them all over to the new system?

Keep up the great work guys!

Dave.

We'll run both systems side by side for a two week period. After that, the old Classifieds system will be read only for 1 month.

Ads will not be transferred, but we expect most people to start using the new system right away.

Pricing has not yet been decided, but during the beta-launch, placing a basic ad will be free, upgrading to highlighted (darker grey background) is $2.00, upgrading to bold is $2.00, and upgrading to italic is $2.00.

No more Gold or Platinum priority placements.

-g

banned
    Bravo!

I must have flagged down about 15 scammers the last few weeks. The feedback rating, and associating it to the site user features would definately be a huge plus.

The Username and Password for the New Classifieds is the same as the Forums!

Please note that the Username and Password for the new Classifieds is the same as the Forums.

If you are not registered in the forums, you can register here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/

And click on the "Register" link. This will be easier, since you will have one username and password for the Mtbr Forums, Mtbr Photo Gallery, and Mtbr Classifieds.

No more having to remember a separate login and password.

Thanks,

-gregg

banned
    Good looking stuff! Thanks to all involved for the update. It was really needed and is much appreciated!

aka baycat
    Wow killer improvements, thanks! Mike G. you gonna sell that Nomad to get a Niner now

Do It Yourself
    Ditto on the complements. Looks great! Thanks for the hard work.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Really like the format.

Does this system have the capability of sending listings updates through email like the "auto notify" feature on the old system?

Thx.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Looks much better!

Great job!

Code Monkey Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kstine71
    Really like the format.

Does this system have the capability of sending listings updates through email like the "auto notify" feature on the old system?

Thx.
    yep. Drill down to any category listing page like this ...
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showcat.php/cat/3

Search for the text "Subscribe to Category"
    "Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia" - H.G. Wells.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks MikeG.. got it!

Do It Yourself

Change requests

Can you add the category to each record (e.g. frame vs. full bike) in the Latest Ads Posted?

Since you can now have an open forum for comments, you're going to have things like "Don't buy his, I'll sell for less", etc. Are you going to post up rules for this type of thing or is it anything goes?

Thanks.
    Long Live Long Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Can you add the category to each record (e.g. frame vs. full bike) in the Latest Ads Posted?

Since you can now have an open forum for comments, you're going to have things like "Don't buy his, I'll sell for less", etc. Are you going to post up rules for this type of thing or is it anything goes?

Thanks.
    Two excellent suggestions, Homebrew. Definitely we'll try and get the category back for the Latest Ads Posted page. The old one had it, so the new one should two.

And yes, there will definitely be a need for guidelines for postings within an ad. Off the top of my head, the rules would be:

1.) no spamming other people's ads
    2.) comments and questions would be restricted solely to the seller or their item

Stay tuned.

-gregg

Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    Two excellent suggestions, Homebrew. Definitely we'll try and get the category back for the Latest Ads Posted page. The old one had it, so the new one should two.
    Thanks to our chief code monkey, MikeG, this one is done! Categories now showing on Latest Ads page.

Thanks for the quick fix, MikeG!

-g

Dorkimus Prime

How about "Search by Country"?

Because of the expense of shipping internationally it would be nice to see what is for sale in your particular country. There seem to be alot of Aussies and Canucks lurking around...

Do It Yourself

That was fast...

Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    Thanks to our chief code monkey, MikeG, this one is done! Categories now showing on Latest Ads page.

Thanks for the quick fix, MikeG!

-g

Cool. Thanks!!!
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Just tried to place an ad with 4 photos totaling around 14 MB--page took awhile to load, then jumped back to "step one" of the ad placing process. My ad was not posted.

Any idea whats up?

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    With 14MB worth of photos I have a fair idea!

I assume the same rules regarding image size in the gallery would apply to the classifieds? Perhaps that could be mentioned in the advertisement creation process?

Dave.

No, that's not phonetic
    I don't think a search of the old classifieds turns up results from the new classifieds, which is a bummer. I posted an ad in the new section but hardly anyone is going to see it because most folks browse the old ones. A good way to get traffic to the new area would be to make searches run in the old classifieds return items from the new area.

Otherwise the spot looks good, and I posted one up just as easy as pie. Good stuff, and nice job implementing the pictures.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Glad to Be Alive
    nice work......need to have something denoteing a picture ad
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I don't think a search of the old classifieds turns up results from the new classifieds, which is a bummer. I posted an ad in the new section but hardly anyone is going to see it because most folks browse the old ones. A good way to get traffic to the new area would be to make searches run in the old classifieds return items from the new area.

Otherwise the spot looks good, and I posted one up just as easy as pie. Good stuff, and nice job implementing the pictures.
    We're running the two systems side by side for 2 weeks, then shutting down posting to the old ones, which will remain read only for 30 days.

To tie the searches together would require too much coding for something that will be going away soon.

Judging from the number of listings, it looks like the new Classifieds have taken off very well! (of course, it just might have something to do with them being free....for now...)

-g

Quote Originally Posted by drumbum
    Just tried to place an ad with 4 photos totaling around 14 MB--page took awhile to load, then jumped back to "step one" of the ad placing process. My ad was not posted.

Any idea whats up?

Yes, like the other member stated, 14 megs is wayy to big. I will work on getting the file size limit listed, so it's clear exactly how big the files can be.

You will need to try and get your images under 200k each.

Thx.

-g

carpe diem
    Jan 2004
    Hi Gregg,

Do you know if the contact seller feature is working. I've tested it and received no email. Have not gotten a response on any of my ads. Pretty strange since I usually get at least scammers. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Gregg-
    Just a thought- the amount of information shown is overload for me when browsing. It it too difficult to discern what items are listed without taking in half of what people posted about the product. Could you cut that box down to a one line summary if more requests are posted?
    Thanks, and keep it up!

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast