Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey Crew,
    I just tried to buy a classified item. It had a "Buy it Now" option, which conveniently linked me directly to PayPal. Quick. Easy. Nice! However, the seller wrote me back the next day saying the item was sold 6 hours earlier, and hit me up with the PayPal fee and some bogus-sounding "refund fee". Hmmm...

Did I get:
    - scammed, or
    - just abused by a bad seller, or
    - did I mess up?

If that is the way the Classified BIY system is supposed to work, what's the point of a "Buy it Now" option, if you still have to contact the seller, wait for replies, etc? I would think that in a real BIT system would be in real time.

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B
    Hey Crew,
    I just tried to buy a classified item. It had a "Buy it Now" option, which conveniently linked me directly to PayPal. Quick. Easy. Nice! However, the seller wrote me back the next day saying the item was sold 6 hours earlier, and hit me up with the PayPal fee and some bogus-sounding "refund fee". Hmmm...

Did I get:
    - scammed, or
    - just abused by a bad seller, or
    - did I mess up?

If that is the way the Classified BIY system is supposed to work, what's the point of a "Buy it Now" option, if you still have to contact the seller, wait for replies, etc? I would think that in a real BIT system would be in real time.

Thanks...
    I just sold a seat post via by it now and as soon as the item was sold the ad automatically displayed SOLD. Therefore someone couldn't pay me again for something that had already been paid for. I assume in your case the seller did not sell it via buy it now and did not then change the status of the item to sold manually.

banned
    Hi Gregg, my experience with the new server when navigating to/within is that it is extremely slow. Most of the time when I try to navigate to and within classifieds I get this.....:

I have checked my connection...all is good and I have not encountered this problem with other sites. If it is happening to me, possible it could be happening to others. Could be the reason I have not received many hits on my add too.

Also, I recently put a shock up for sale and I still got one of those 'reply to add' from a scammer wanting to pay for the item with a cashiers check for more than the amount that I asked for it. You can always tell because the email has the same verbage. Only one so far with the new add, so it is much better than the old in that I am not bombarded with these requests. So great job on that front. I wish there was some way string these idiots up by their toes and connect some sadistic torture device to their "Pork and Beans".
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 03-01-2007 at 09:51 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Hi Gregg, my experience with the new server when navigating to/within is that it is extremely slow. Most of the time when I try to navigate to and within classifieds I get this.....:

I have checked my connection...all is good and I have not encountered this problem with other sites. If it is happening to me, possible it could be happening to others. Could be the reason I have not received many hits on my add too.
    Ok...whatever problems I was encountering I am no longer. I don't know what the gliche was.

You Are What You Is
    I'm having similar problems as Mtn. Biker123. Getting in to the forums or the classifieds is painfully slow, and at least 70% of the time the daily market seems to be down, and I see nothing. Just an FYI. I still (try to) use the daily market on a daily basis, however.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, it's pretty agonizingly slow for me, as well... showing the "latest updates" page often takes a few minutes, if it renders at all, and individual sale items are equally pokey...

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    We've made a few tweaks that should help for some. The real boost in performance won't happen until we order, receive, and dial in the new servers, which all costs time and money.

Which means, we'll be charging for basic ads soon. The money for the new hardware has to come from somewhere, unfortunately.

The "Latest Ads" page was taken down to see if it improved performance or not. It was put back up yesterday (Monday).

So, in short, performance may be better for some now, but won't get a whole lot faster for a little while longer for others.

-g

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    We've made a few tweaks that should help for some. The real boost in performance won't happen until we order, receive, and dial in the new servers, which all costs time and money.

Which means, we'll be charging for basic ads soon. The money for the new hardware has to come from somewhere, unfortunately.

The "Latest Ads" page was taken down to see if it improved performance or not. It was put back up yesterday (Monday).

So, in short, performance may be better for some now, but won't get a whole lot faster for a little while longer for others.

-g
    Yeah... I started to notice problems again yesterday (Monday), but seems fine again today. Thanks Gregg. So, how much will you be charging. Hopefully not a similar format as eBay. Where you gouge the seller at the end of the action with some complicated formula designed to confuse and extort. Maybe just some sort of insertion fee?

banned
    Buyer/Seller Ethics

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have made a few purchases and even sold a few things in the MTBR classifieds. I figure as a seller I assume the ultimate responsibility of providing a comfortable transaction for the buyer. The buyer assumes the burden of providing the money upfront in "good faith" that he/she has engaged in a transaction that is honest and as described by the sellers add.

With that said, I made a purchase last Saturday from the MTBR classifieds. I made an offer slightly less than the sellers asking price and he agreed. Without hesitiation I transferred the funds via paypal. The seller was very responsive to my emails at first and even agreed to do a slight modification to the item prior to shipment. The last correspondance from the seller was last Tuesday when I was notified that the item would ship USPS priority. Even though it was not stated, I assumed that it would be shipped that day (Tuesday) or the following day. Being that I usually receive priority shipments within two days of the shipment notification, I contacted the seller on Thursday just to verify the actual ship date and when I should expect the package. No response. I cantacted him again last night to let him know that I still had not received the package. Again no response. I can see that he is actively posting and viewing on MTBR, so I sent another message via PM after the mail came to express my frustration. I am not so worried that I got scammed as this individual has been an active member here for some time (I did do my research). I am concerned about the possibility that the package got lost in the system. Not through personal experience, but I have heard horror stories about USPS.

As the Seller, should there be a protocal one should follow when it comes to providing a comfortable line of communication with the buyer? Is it a lot to ask of a Seller to keep the buyer informed of all the details of the transaction? Should MTBR suggest or provide guidelines for sellers to follow for buyers who assume most of the risk. Assuming I don't recieve the package and I am unable to contact the seller, do I contact the administrators of MTBR or use the resolution center on paypal? What is the grace period for non-receipt of an item before I take action to dispute the transaction?

_Bryan

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Time for ad to display after payment...

After I have submitted an ad and paid via Paypal, how long does it take for the ad to show up in the Classifieds section? I paid a couple hours ago and my status still shows as "payment not received for ad", yet my Paypal ad shows that the payment has been completed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BMRisko
    After I have submitted an ad and paid via Paypal, how long does it take for the ad to show up in the Classifieds section? I paid a couple hours ago and my status still shows as "payment not received for ad", yet my Paypal ad shows that the payment has been completed.
    bump...

Code Monkey Administrator
    Where were you looking? This is your add right ...
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showcat....&ppuser=252745
    "Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia" - H.G. Wells.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    Where were you looking? This is your add right ...
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showcat....&ppuser=252745
    Hi, can anyone tell me why I got two seperate charges to my credit card for a singl add that I placed on Thurday. My account shows another $2 charge pending dated from yesterday. I thought that it was only two dollars for the basic add...this is my add

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=3960&cat=15

Code Monkey Administrator
    PM Gregg on the double charge ... he'll refund if it's legit.
    "Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia" - H.G. Wells.

mtbr member
    is there anyway to get you add back to the front after so many days without repaying $2
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS
    is there anyway to get you add back to the front after so many days without repaying $2
    Sorry, there is not.

The ONLY way to get back at the top is to post a new ad.

-g

Is the bike OK?

Duplicate Adds Posted?

Yesterday I posted an add titled "2005 Specialized Big Hit Grom" and today I posted an add titled "2003 Specialized Enduro Pro 2003 size Large". Each add showed up twice on the classified forum.

While processing the credit card payment for each add I was first told that there was a problem and had to go back and process it again. Did my payment and add go through twice for each add or something? If so, please do not charge my credit card twice for each add and please delete the second of each add so there are not duplicates.

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006
    How do ads get renewed? More specifically how do I renew an ad placed in March?
    Last edited by pcxmbfj; 04-18-2007 at 01:36 PM.
    2011 Vassago Jabberwocky
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r SS
    2003 Titus Switchblade 650b
    1995 Litespeed Obed

Am not, had mine removed.

Where did my ads go?

Out of nowhere my ads have disappeared. Where did they go?
    You want to ride behind someone who does something that?

770-271-9506

Malty goodness

paypal done-still no add?

MikeG;
    Similar question...my Paypal account shows the payment was received right away, but my add's status shows it's awaiting payment.....

Any ideas?

DJ
    Don't do anything I wouldn't do if I weren't in your shoes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah me too I have had 2 bucks taken out of paypal but no ad says I have not
    paid yet - what up I will have sold fork elsewhere by the time this gets straightened
    out I want my two dollars!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

contact seller feature working?

Gregg,

Do you know if the contact seller feature is working? I've tested it and and had it tested by others but have received no emails. Have had many "views" but have not received a single response to my ad.

Here's a link to my ad:
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=5528&cat=10

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Delete an add?????????

How do you delete an add??????

Freshly Fujified

Look hard

Quote Originally Posted by 2syke
    How do you delete an add??????
    Go to classifieds, then click "My Ads". Click on the ad you want to delete. From there, Scroll down to the bottom and LOOK HARD!. Bottom right hand corner will be a check box marked "DELETE"

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Couple of dumb questions. I just placed an ad.

I assume I will know if I have a bite only if I get a private message, or an e-mail for notification since I set that up to work?

Second question: is it kosher to mention my ad in a regular thread which is specific to my Newark Delaware area? Especially since I have limited it to local pickup only.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast