Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 251

Thread: Negative reps.

  1. #1
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,366

    Negative reps.

    I find myself lately checking my reps, worried about the reds rather than concentrating on talking about Mountain Bikes. JMO, but I think that allowing the reds hurt the forum and distracts what this great forum should focus on.

    Mountain biking!

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,756
    Reps shouldn't be anonymous - positive OR negative. Require that users sign their love/hate !!!!

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    195
    All this rep is crap and just completely useless! People leave negative reps because they are totally a**holes, so whats the use of this non-sense?

    We all know whom the true a**holes are on here, they live and thrive to be one, so why have this reps BS?!?!?!?

  4. #4
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,366
    In the long run, it will diminish the validity of this forum. I got hit for being thankfull for waking up on the Santa thread. I was called a dick!



    Dear Santa....

  5. #5
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,920
    I just gave all there of you positive rep...

    Merry Christmas... LOL

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steamer19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    342
    Just sent some back at ya NEPMTBA. Good Karma and Merry Christmas to you as well.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,719
    Overall, I think the rep thing works just fine. So who cares if you get hit with negative every once in a while? It's not like it affects anything anyway. It's a good way to give feedback without cluttering up the thread itself.

  8. #8
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    I find myself lately checking my reps, worried about the reds rather than concentrating on talking about Mountain Bikes.
    Really? Everyone's experience varies, but I've found that after the initial excitement of the new rep feature died down, I've received few rep hits; positive or negative, which is not all that surprising because many of my posts are neither particularly controversial or profoundly helpful.

    Of course it is not a perfect system, but sometimes it is nice to be able to:

    Thank people for giving helpful advice, or providing good entertainment,
    or
    Provide negative feedback when people give incorrect information or cause unneeded controversy and bickering.

    I'd say the biggest flaw is the anonymity of the rep. It gives people the opportunity to say some very rude / mean / inappropriate things without being accountable for it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,760
    I got like 5 negs because I didn't support the occupy wall street movement. It is forum on the internet, who cares what other aholes think.
    15 Yeti ASR-c
    14 Yeti ARC
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal
    15 Roubaix S-Works

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,719
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Thank people for giving helpful advice, or providing good entertainment,
    or
    Provide negative feedback when people give incorrect information or cause unneeded controversy and bickering.
    My thoughts exactly.

  11. #11
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Agreed 100%.

    Trouble is that many seems to have a problem with people whom don't share their point of view. It is one of the major drawbacks of the anonymity of the internet, since many tends to visit places with people who shares their own opinion.
    Once those people are in a place where they expect their opinion to be "the right opinion", and some disagrees, they turn frustrated and start acting up.

    At least now those people can take their frustrations out on other people in private, and maybe clutter the threads a bit less.
    I for one don't care what people write in a negative rep, if it is obvious there is nothing substantial behind, and it just looks like venting.

    Actually come to think of it, I and Bad Mechanic should have filled up each others negative rep by now, if we had to rep each other every time we disagree


    Magura

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Actually come to think of it, I and Bad Mechanic should have filled up each others negative rep by now, if we had to rep each other every time we disagree
    HAH! Truth right there.

  13. #13
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Actually come to think of it, I and Bad Mechanic should have filled up each others negative rep by now, if we had to rep each other every time we disagree
    As humorous as that thought is, the the system does not let you do that. You have to rep something like 20 people before you can hit the same people again. Personally, I don't use the rep feature THAT much, so I won't be able to hit those I detest with more negative rep anytime soon.

    Apparently I've repped bad mechanic for something before (no idea what ), so even if I love or hate one of his posts in this thread (for example) I can't toss him any more rep.
    Last edited by rkj__; 12-07-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,719
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    As humorous as that thought is, the the system does not let you do that. You have to rep something like 20 people before you can hit the same people again. Personally, I don't use the rep feature THAT much, so I won't be able to hit those I detest with more negative rep anytime soon.

    Apparently I've repped bad mechanic for something before (no idea what ), so even if I love or hate one of his posts in this thread (for example) I can't toss him any more rep.
    That's one of my big issues as well. They either need to lower the limit before you can rep someone again (I think it's 100 right now), or they need to lower the number of people you can rep in a day (I think it's 10 right now). As it is, it's hard to really reward the quality posters on the board.

    Apparently I've already repped rkj__ as well, though I don't remember what for either...

  15. #15
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post

    I'd say the biggest flaw is the anonymity of the rep. It gives people the opportunity to say some very rude / mean / inappropriate things without being accountable for it.
    I agree!

  16. #16
    Glue Sniffer
    Reputation: catzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    553
    Add another one for getting rid of anonymous reps. It's not the little red dot that matters, but the comments that go with them. Myself and others have begun receiving random insults for benign posts.

    For instance, in a the thread where someone was complaining about there being a women's forum (in the women's forum), I responded saying it's a good place for embarrassing period questions, not to mention MTBRs zillion other niche forums. I got neg repped with the following comment:

    "your parents are union working trash just like you."

    The comment is just flat out odd. But the anonymity of it is creepy. Someone else received a negative rep with the following comment for a ridiculously benign thread:

    "Don't pretend you are intelligent when you are a complete dumb ass."

    Not sure if this is happening all over MTBR, or if some d-bag who hasn't discovered the wide world of internet porn is taking his frustrations out on the Women's Lounge, but it's unfortunate that there's now a system that allows people to throw insults without fear of repercussion, or even a response. Especially when the rep feature isn't anonymous over on RoadBikeReview.

    Thanks for listening, Powers That Be.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

  17. #17
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla View Post
    Especially when the rep feature isn't anonymous over on RoadBikeReview.

    Thanks for listening, Powers That Be.
    It seems like MTBR is lagging behind RBR just a little bit.

    RBR got the software upgrade first, then MTBR.
    Next RBR lost the ability to tag threads, because people also used it to leave inappropriate messages anonymously. Later, MTBR lost tags.
    IIRC, RBR rep started anonymously, then the user names were added. (or am I wrong here?) Maybe MTBR will finally get user names attached to rep as well.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  18. #18
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai-CP View Post
    All this rep is crap and just completely useless! People leave negative reps because they are totally a**holes, so whats the use of this non-sense?

    We all know whom the true a**holes are on here, they live and thrive to be one, so why have this reps BS?!?!?!?
    +Rep for you cuz I agree with you
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,017
    Ah... in a perfect world.

    That said, MTBR is far too loose, immature; already infected with internet anonymity syndrome. We have a PM system if any kind of comment is needed. I pay no more attention to how long someone's green tip is. And if I notice RED rep- this person gets more than equal attention for whatever reason as irony would have it. The system has already played itself out.

    An idea worth trying okay. Such as the blogs, sounded good at the time.

  20. #20
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla View Post
    Add another one for getting rid of anonymous reps. It's not the little red dot that matters, but the comments that go with them. Myself and others have begun receiving random insults for benign posts.

    For instance, in a the thread where someone was complaining about there being a women's forum (in the women's forum), I responded saying it's a good place for embarrassing period questions, not to mention MTBRs zillion other niche forums. I got neg repped with the following comment:

    "your parents are union working trash just like you."

    The comment is just flat out odd. But the anonymity of it is creepy. Someone else received a negative rep with the following comment for a ridiculously benign thread:

    "Don't pretend you are intelligent when you are a complete dumb ass."

    Not sure if this is happening all over MTBR, or if some d-bag who hasn't discovered the wide world of internet porn is taking his frustrations out on the Women's Lounge, but it's unfortunate that there's now a system that allows people to throw insults without fear of repercussion, or even a response. Especially when the rep feature isn't anonymous over on RoadBikeReview.

    Thanks for listening, Powers That Be.
    The real fun is going to be once the rep system is changed to work like at RBR, then we will get to see whom called you an ass
    Once that happens, those people are most likely not so proud of themselves anymore


    Magura

  21. #21
    Surf 'n' Trail Rat
    Reputation: art23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post
    Ah... in a perfect world.

    That said, MTBR is far too loose, immature; already infected with internet anonymity syndrome. We have a PM system if any kind of comment is needed. I pay no more attention to how long someone's green tip is. And if I notice RED rep- this person gets more than equal attention for whatever reason as irony would have it. The system has already played itself out.

    An idea worth trying okay. Such as the blogs, sounded good at the time.
    Well put, sir!

    As if the internet wasn't anonymous enough already. All this "Rep" baloney does is promote 'keyboard courage' and political correctness.

    It does encourage me to spend more time riding and less time on this site, however.
    Last edited by art23; 12-17-2011 at 12:29 PM.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    667
    Rep is stupid, doubly so for anonymous rep, I'd bet the majority of everyone here feels that way.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,458
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Reps shouldn't be anonymous - positive OR negative. Require that users sign their love/hate !!!!
    +1111

    I'm sick of all these jamokes who neg rep and don't sign their names. Grow a pair!!!

    And why are some of the reps in grey? Noticed that as well.
    konahonzo

  24. #24
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    +1111

    I'm sick of all these jamokes who neg rep and don't sign their names. Grow a pair!!!

    And why are some of the reps in grey? Noticed that as well.
    Grey reps come from those with zero rep power. They neither add nor remove rep points.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,458
    ^ Thanks! Repped.
    konahonzo

  26. #26
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,449
    Here's an idea. I would like to be able to respond to the people giving me rep. If the admin don't want to give the system transparency then make it blind. In other words I don't care what user the message is going to I just want to thank them or defend my comment that they rep'ed me for.

  27. #27
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,320
    +1 ^ This.
    Love or hate, sign your name.
    Better yet, reply to the post, and let the forum decide.

  28. #28
    Bunny Hoppin Gators
    Reputation: drivengsxr1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    177
    i don't pay attention to the rep points anyways, i take everyone's opinion and decide for myself witch one seems the most legit

  29. #29
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,756
    I'll find you Mr. 12/28/2011 @ 5:56PM !!!!

  30. #30
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,366
    Negative Reps take away from those who want to help others or want to spark intriguing dialogue in order to think outside the box. It inhibits creative thinking and alternate ideals when one is worried about posting something that others may not agree with. I still stand by that having the reddies is counter productive to growing the forum and in fact, will diminish the post count.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Camel Toad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    190
    When a comment in negative rep says "want help to shoot yourself?" because they disagree with my opinion it makes me agree with the rest of you that the whole system is ridiculous in its anonymity. Every user, mods/admins included, should have their user names logged with the rep comments.

  32. #32
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,366
    Heres one.

    Neg rep for being an ignorant, arrogant fool on the forums.h

  33. #33
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    the negative reps are designed to discourage posting. less server time cluttered up with actual posts allows more ads to be pumped onto the page.

  34. #34
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    7,920
    Ah it's just BS don't worry just keep posting it's not like your gonna see a charge on your credit card for red chicklets!

    Gary +1 for the Maico avatar, tell me it's a 501?

  35. #35
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,775
    I'm pleased to say I'm rep'n in the hole. The negative rep I got was "nope". That's all. The thread was a general discussion thread where opinions were being discussed. Apparently my opinion was not shared by an individual so he/she stuck it to me.

    Now, if we wanted to have the rep system be meaningful, we would have an adjudication process. Essentially, all negative feedback could be evaluated and potentially rejected by the moderators. This would alleviate the need to make the person suggesting the negative feedback known to the user since I think people could resolve that if the opinion was seconded by a moderator, it was a reasonable concern.

    While I would consider myself reasonably easy going, I confess that if I knew who gave me a negative rep, it would be hard to fight the urge to return the favor. I'm certain that I would not be alone with such tenancies based on some of the discussions I have seen in the time I've been a member.

  36. #36
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,366
    501.

  37. #37
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Heres one.

    Neg rep for being an ignorant, arrogant fool on the forums.h
    Wasn't me but you were wrong about the WD40

  38. #38
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Wasn't me but you were wrong about the WD40
    I said I used Finish Line, I never said I used WD-40 as a lube. I just posted links and other opinions.

  39. #39
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,839
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I'm pleased to say I'm rep'n in the hole. The negative rep I got was "nope". That's all. The thread was a general discussion thread where opinions were being discussed. Apparently my opinion was not shared by an individual so he/she stuck it to me.

    Now, if we wanted to have the rep system be meaningful, we would have an adjudication process. Essentially, all negative feedback could be evaluated and potentially rejected by the moderators. This would alleviate the need to make the person suggesting the negative feedback known to the user since I think people could resolve that if the opinion was seconded by a moderator, it was a reasonable concern.

    While I would consider myself reasonably easy going, I confess that if I knew who gave me a negative rep, it would be hard to fight the urge to return the favor. I'm certain that I would not be alone with such tenancies based on some of the discussions I have seen in the time I've been a member.
    I appreciate the idea but I think that we wouldn't have enough time to review the negative reps that fly around here. Just remember that the majority of the negatives come from low rep power users and that the majority of us higher rep power users not only sign all our reps but rarely give negative reps.

    Just participate in the process, ignore the idiots and you will gain rep and rep power as time goes to dole out however you see fit. Reward those that need rewarding, refrain from negative repping because you disagree and save it for trolls and people that consistently post garbage. That way those red squares will help indicate who isn't a serious and who does consistently post garbage.
    Try this: HTFU

  40. #40
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    I said I used Finish Line, I never said I used WD-40 as a lube. I just posted links and other opinions.
    You mean you were just stirring the pot? That hardly seems like you...

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,497
    My favorite, so far: "What the hell does that mean?"

  42. #42
    Glue Sniffer
    Reputation: catzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I appreciate the idea but I think that we wouldn't have enough time to review the negative reps that fly around here. Just remember that the majority of the negatives come from low rep power users and that the majority of us higher rep power users not only sign all our reps but rarely give negative reps.

    Just participate in the process, ignore the idiots and you will gain rep and rep power as time goes to dole out however you see fit. Reward those that need rewarding, refrain from negative repping because you disagree and save it for trolls and people that consistently post garbage. That way those red squares will help indicate who isn't a serious and who does consistently post garbage.
    But it seems the issue isn't the red square in and of itself, but of the flagrant and at times creepy insults that go with it -- insults that would be quickly taken care of on the public forum, but are perfectly fine through undesired private anonymous one-way communication.

    There are many (including myself and plenty other bike industry folks) on this board who haven't made it a huge practice to hide who they are in real life. It's never bothered me, but had I received the "need help shooting yourself" comment, I'd be a little wigged.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

  43. #43
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,982
    There is a guy with three red chicklets. Yep, he deserves it.

  44. #44
    El Gato Malo
    Reputation: Wishful Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,372
    Catzilla, +rep 'cause cats are cool

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,017
    I got a red mark; all it said was "negative/ myth" I wonder what constituted that? How did they know of my beliefs? Was it really worth it? No.

    In all seriousness -and I have changed my tune some- institute more COLORS, or bin the whole damn rating system. The infamous are already thriving, as comes with notoriety. It's human nature, and not always a bad thing. Well, here on MTBR it is.

  46. #46
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    You mean you were just stirring the pot? That hardly seems like you...
    Of course!

  47. #47
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I appreciate the idea but I think that we wouldn't have enough time to review the negative reps that fly around here. Just remember that the majority of the negatives come from low rep power users and that the majority of us higher rep power users not only sign all our reps but rarely give negative reps.

    Just participate in the process, ignore the idiots and you will gain rep and rep power as time goes to dole out however you see fit. Reward those that need rewarding, refrain from negative repping because you disagree and save it for trolls and people that consistently post garbage. That way those red squares will help indicate who isn't a serious and who does consistently post garbage.
    As a former super mod and admin on other sites, I know what yall have to go through. It's a thankless job and are more than often under the gun rather than appreciated. That's why I don't do it anymore.

    Hope yall know that I didn't create this thread in order to downgrade or disrespect MTBR. And yes I used the "Troll" tactic in order to bring the subject public in order for closure of this topic, I did so with no malcontent.

  48. #48
    Life Is Short
    Reputation: fatcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,438
    Silly system thats as outdated as a threaded steer tube
    Ride More, Eat More

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,412
    I just looked at my feedback for the first time. Someone negrepped me for saying "You guys really sent it." I guess he took issue with the terminology, saying in effect he did not understand it, albeit with some condescending language.

    This to me clearly illustrates how ridiculous this reputation feature is as it stands.

    Dear powers that be: Can you not see how users' ability to leave anonymous slag like I described above detracts from your web site? People should be accountable for rep feedback just as they are posts and PMs. The way it's set up now invites vindictiveness (something this site alleges to discourage between users).

    Cheers,

    Mike
    Last edited by She&I; 02-23-2012 at 07:13 PM.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,822
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Dear powers that be: Can you not see how users' ability to leave anonymous slag like I described above detracts from your web site? People should be accountable for rep feedback just as they are posts and PMs. The way it's set up now invites vindictiveness (something this site alleges to discourage between users).

    Cheers,

    Mike
    Someone has been going through my posts and negging me for posts from a yr or more ago. Mostly because they don't like what I say. No accountability whatsoever. I don't come here very often anymore for that reason. And when I do, It's mostly just to lurk on my local forum and I rarely post. There's plenty of other cycling forums out there where this isn't an issue.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your Reps care about you
    By Not So Fast in forum Midwest - IL, IN, OH, KY, IA, MO, MI
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 04:48 AM
  2. any manitou reps out there?
    By peabody in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 09:16 PM
  3. Titus cuts reps????
    By Pedal Bike in forum Titus
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 07:58 PM
  4. Specialized Reps or techs?
    By Too Rass Goat in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •