Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative reps.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post

it might be high time to stretch out the chicklet intervals for higher reps. let the first few chicklets be fairly easy to get, but make it harder get bunches of bright green chicklets. I just passed 1100 rep points....what if the first bright green chicklet didn't show up until you hit 1000 or 2000 and the second at 10x that number and so on? I think that would make more active posters appear a little less intimidating to the newer folks.

FWIW, the interval between squares does get further apart, much further.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    1. just disagree? no.
    2. absolutely not.
    3. childish much?
    4. most likely.

what mandatory signed rep would do is help to reduce the abuse of the system by the idiots who neg rep for anything. I've received multiple neg reps referencing my current avatar. seriously? a picture of me in movie makeup? neg reps with comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the post I was neg repped for? that steams of people abusing the system.

I sign the reps I hand out, and I have yet to receive a neg rep referencing one I gave out, and for that matter, I can't recall receiving neg rep shortly after giving one.

what I'm more likely to do, in addition to #4 on the list, is send the person a private message asking why they gave a particularly puzzling neg rep. if I said something stupid, I own up to it. oh well. I have received some perfectly understandable neg reps and they are what they are. you can't make everyone happy.

this mostly seems to be true. if you're an active poster with a known mostly positive personality, you'll get positive rep sooner rather than later. for new/infrequent posters, though, this seems to be troubling.

true. I think that can be pretty intimidating to new posters. I mean go over to RBR and it makes CHUM's infected chicklets look like a measly staph infection compared to the rep-whoring that's gong on.

it might be high time to stretch out the chicklet intervals for higher reps. let the first few chicklets be fairly easy to get, but make it harder get bunches of bright green chicklets. I just passed 1100 rep points....what if the first bright green chicklet didn't show up until you hit 1000 or 2000 and the second at 10x that number and so on? I think that would make more active posters appear a little less intimidating to the newer folks.
    I understand your point of view but I suspect you are in the minority on this.

The most important thing is that most users that are generating good content will get the occasional negative rep but the positive rep generated from posting good content will dwarf the occasional juvenile anonymous negative rep. It is not like any of the high negative reppers are going around hitting people on the sly it is low post count users that haven't yet put on their big boy pants and are just acting their age.

Why would you want to even waste your time on them if the criticism was infantile? I mean what would a PM get you? Probably a similar ******* response back in PM form.

Why sweat it is what I want to know? The occasional negative rep is so not worth anyone's time but if you are getting a lot here is what to do:

1. look at the way you post and answer questions, are you dickish or juvenile or condescening? If so stop.
    2. Is you user name davidcopperfield? If so stop
    3. is something in your profile offensive ie: derogatory terms, racy profile pictures, etc? If so consider changing to something less offensive.
    4. have you participated in a thread about rep? if so then report the post and don't participate in the thread anymore
    5. have you whined about getting negative rep, particularly in a whiny tone? If so then return to 4.
    6. have you whored rep? If so stop, no one likes a rep whore.

If you still get negative reps and you haven't one then above then congratulations you obvious participate at MTBR enough to have garnered detractors and that is an accomplishment. If they start stalking you then it is time to contact me.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I would like to thank you, rockcrusher, for actually taking time to address this.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I question I have for all of you who are against the anonymous system is: What would you do if it wasn't anonymous and you received negative rep?

1. Would you search out the giver and reciprocate negatively to one of their posts that you didn't agree with?
    2. Would you search out the giver and reciprocate negatively to any of their posts regardless of content?
    3. Would having them give you negative rep in return again cause you to start flaming them in threads?
    4. Would you go "Hmmm that is odd", look at the offending post, determine whether it was a valid criticism and if not just realize that it is some ass on the internet and go about your mtbr day?
    All of these options don't include the rational way to go about this. If I don't agree with someone why not just post up and explain why I don't agree with them. I know that is very adult like which is the antithesis of the internet, but a guy can dream, right? How do anonymous shitty comments that we have no way to refute benefit the site?

For that matter how, do positive comments and + rep points benefit the site? I think each post should be valued for its content, not how much of a rep whore the poster of said post happens to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    if it were not anonymous, it wouldn't be left in the first place, or it would at least be constructive.
    Exactly.

If you still get negative reps and you haven't one then above then congratulations you obvious participate at MTBR enough to have garnered detractors and that is an accomplishment. If they start stalking you then it is time to contact me.
    But since rep is anonymous how can we tell you who is stalking us?

I don't have a stalker, just pointing out a(nother) flaw of neg rep.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    FWIW, the interval between squares does get further apart, much further.
    I'm aware that it does...just suggesting maybe it should be moreso. would hate for you to start choking on your chicklets.

I understand your point of view but I suspect you are in the minority on this.

The most important thing is that most users that are generating good content will get the occasional negative rep but the positive rep generated from posting good content will dwarf the occasional juvenile anonymous negative rep. It is not like any of the high negative reppers are going around hitting people on the sly it is low post count users that haven't yet put on their big boy pants and are just acting their age.

Why would you want to even waste your time on them if the criticism was infantile? I mean what would a PM get you? Probably a similar ******* response back in PM form.

Why sweat it is what I want to know? The occasional negative rep is so not worth anyone's time but if you are getting a lot here is what to do:
    look at the way you post and answer questions, are you dickish or juvenile or condescening? If so stop.
    Is you user name davidcopperfield? If so stop
    is something in your profile offensive ie: derogatory terms, racy profile pictures, etc? If so consider changing to something less offensive.
    have you participated in a thread about rep? if so then report the post and don't participate in the thread anymore
    have you whined about getting negative rep, particularly in a whiny tone? If so then return to 4.
    have you whored rep? If so stop, no one likes a rep whore.

that's fair. it is the low post count users who neg rep me the most. I think only one person with more than 2 rep points has ever negged me and I'm sure I deserved that one.

it's still childish. having their name attached to such childish BS would, I hope, make them think twice about trying to hide behind their supposed internet anonymity, which doesn't really exist so much anymore.

It doesn't chap my ass at all...but it's certainly generated a bit of eyerolling when I see a neg rep signed "ageaerhhgr". IMO, people that do that stupid stuff don't deserve to play in the sandbox.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    I would like to thank you, rockcrusher, for actually taking time to address this.

All of these options don't include the rational way to go about this. If I don't agree with someone why not just post up and explain why I don't agree with them. I know that is very adult like which is the antithesis of the internet, but a guy can dream, right? How do anonymous shitty comments that we have no way to refute benefit the site?

For that matter how, do positive comments and + rep points benefit the site? I think each post should be valued for its content, not how much of a rep whore the poster of said post happens to be.

Exactly.

But since rep is anonymous how can we tell you who is stalking us?

I don't have a stalker, just pointing out a(nother) flaw of neg rep.

If, and this goes for anything rep, visitor messages, or posts, anyone is seemingly stalking you or just jumping on anything you say definitely get a PM to any supermoderator explaining the interaction and who it is. It will stop, I guarantee it.

I, for one, am not totally sold on rep. I preferred the old way where i weighed the strength of a comment based on how many posts a user had but also on its content. I feel that rep does some what detract from that critical thinking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I feel that rep does some what detract from that critical thinking.
    Yep, earlier I posted (it may have been in another thread about rep) that rep encourages group think, which is a shame.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Happy Easter

I'm spread'in positive rep...

Be nice make someone's day "+1" them. I think you can always find a "nice comment" to add to someone, why be negative?

Green squares are cool...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    why be negative?
    Negative reps are just a cowards way of arguing on forums.

They can't refute you so they leave negative reps.

I got a whole slew of neg reps a while back for suggesting a new rider start off on a 29" bike rather than a 26" and you would of thought i called someones mother a bad name with all the hate and negative reps i got.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Disagreeing is one thing...

...but I have posted perfectly good, non political, religious or challenging in any way and I got neg rep with a dumb comment making no sense as to the topic!

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Disagreeing is one thing...

...but I have posted perfectly good, non political, religious or challenging in any way and I got neg rep with a dumb comment making no sense as to the topic!
    Welcome to MTBR!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    Negative reps are just a cowards way of arguing on forums.

They can't refute you so they leave negative reps.
    It is impossible to refute an internet argument.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla View Post
    For instance, in a the thread where someone was complaining about there being a women's forum (in the women's forum), I responded saying it's a good place for embarrassing period questions, not to mention MTBRs zillion other niche forums. I got neg repped with the following comment:

"your parents are union working trash just like you."

The comment is just flat out odd. But the anonymity of it is creepy. Someone else received a negative rep with the following comment for a ridiculously benign thread:

"Don't pretend you are intelligent when you are a complete dumb ass."

Sounds like female rivalry, no men I know of would try to insult someone like that. And no men would be insulted by it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    "Don't pretend you are intelligent when you are a complete dumb ass."
    Very relevant to all of us.

there's now a system that allows people to throw insults without fear of repercussion, or even a response.
    Is it all about the cockblock?

mtbr member
    How on earth do I actually view my rep posts, comments etc? Can't find it anywhere in the user CP.

- Joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tomacropod View Post
    How on earth do I actually view my rep posts, comments etc? Can't find it anywhere in the user CP.

- Joel

Click on "my account".

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Overall, I think the rep thing works just fine. So who cares if you get hit with negative every once in a while? It's not like it affects anything anyway. It's a good way to give feedback without cluttering up the thread itself.
    Yes I agree but would it not work better if you could give pos rep & not neg.

It will still mean that you could see who adds something, but takes away the power of people that just don't agree with you.

Some of the things that people hand out neg rep for is just wrong.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Posted by: jackbombay

Posted By : muzzanic
    Yes I agree but would it not work better if you could give pos rep & not neg.
    It will still mean that you could see who adds something, but takes away the power of people that just don't agree with you.
    Some of the things that people hand out neg rep for is just wrong.

I agree with the two posts above, If you allow neg rep... that vote should only be allowed by a constructive criticism and without being condescending of your post, not just because they don't agree with you because they feel differently with no real ability to explain themselves other that they don't agree with your post. Or they just don't know anything and they are just being negative and pessimistic. Our society if full of this with no regards for the human condition and respect for others opinions.

mtbr member
    One thing I see as a problem is, in general, you have to say or post something pretty extraordinary to get positive rep but to get negative rep (with comments attached like "STFU") it just takes someone who disagrees with what you say, doesn't understand what you say or just doesn't like your avatar. In other words a knee jerk reaction from one the horde.

Someone has to present something pretty good or say something that I was about to say anyhow for me to give positive rep but then in turn I have never given anyone negative rep no matter how clueless they appeared.

Of the times I have gotten neg, I think I actually deserved it once.

I'd also vote for no anonymous reputation dispensing.

mtbr member
    I don't think you should wait for an extraordinary post before you give out some +rep. It's all about positive reinforcement...

If you see someone providing an answer to a problem, give them some +rep. Witness two people engaging in a civil disagreement? +rep. Hey, that guy is struggling with something and that other guy gave him some encouragement. I'll +rep him.

Those are the things that make this (or any) forum great and why would anyone not want to encourage that? People yelling at each other to go use Google, letting disagreements turn into personal name calling rants, or people just beating each other down helps no one.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    It's all about positive reinforcement...
    It is all about Pavlovian reinforcement. Posters need to learn to associate rep stimulus with something.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I don't think you should wait for an extraordinary post before you give out some +rep. It's all about positive reinforcement...

If you see someone providing an answer to a problem, give them some +rep. Witness two people engaging in a civil disagreement? +rep. Hey, that guy is struggling with something and that other guy gave him some encouragement. I'll +rep him.

Those are the things that make this (or any) forum great and why would anyone not want to encourage that? People yelling at each other to go use Google, letting disagreements turn into personal name calling rants, or people just beating each other down helps no one.
    +1 I can see that the + rep system would work better if you took away the Neg rep system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    It is all about Pavlovian reinforcement. Posters need to learn to associate rep stimulus with something.
    Exactly. It's not a change you can dictate. It has to start with you and hope that others then see the value in it. "Hey, someone gave me +rep for that." Maybe they will do the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    +1 I can see that the + rep system would work better if you took away the Neg rep system.
    I have been corrected by -rep before. I do agree that most of it seems to be petty retorts to something I posted. I don't think I've ever received a signed -rep...

If people would start giving out +rep for positive behavior, then there would be little or no sting to the -rep. I don't think anyone can stop people from giving -rep (unless it was disabled). But, I do hope I can encourage others to give out +rep to posts they feel add value to the forums.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    I have been corrected by -rep before. I do agree that most of it seems to be petty retorts to something I posted. I don't think I've ever received a signed -rep...

If people would start giving out +rep for positive behavior, then there would be little or no sting to the -rep. I don't think anyone can stop people from giving -rep (unless it was disabled). But, I do hope I can encourage others to give out +rep to posts they feel add value to the forums.
    One issue I have if your on more than one thread and good info is being passed along, you have a limited amounts of reps you can give for a 24 hr period.
    Kills any on the momement remarks. You have to go back the next day to give any rep therefore possibly not giving any reps for rhat person who might have given great input

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    One issue I have if your on more than one thread and good info is being passed along, you have a limited amounts of reps you can give for a 24 hr period.
    Kills any on the momement remarks. You have to go back the next day to give any rep therefore possibly not giving any reps for rhat person who might have given great input
    I agree. 10 reps per day really isn't enough if you hand out +rep. The way I overcome this is I keep a list. Wait, it's not that complicated (I promise).

Google docs has a really nice spreadsheet feature and I keep my own MTBR Rep List. If I find a good post, I'll copy the hyperlink of that post (in the upper right hand corner of the post) and paste it into the spreadsheet. The next day when my 24 hour time-out is over, I leave +rep for the next 10 entries on my list. Boom, done. Takes all of 5 minutes.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast