Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative reps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned View Post
    Someone has been going through my posts and negging me for posts from a yr or more ago. Mostly because they don't like what I say. No accountability whatsoever. I don't come here very often anymore for that reason. And when I do, It's mostly just to lurk on my local forum and I rarely post. There's plenty of other cycling forums out there where this isn't an issue.
    What a shame. Not a shame that people will act in such ways—nothing really to be done about that. It's a loss that a system which enables ad homonym slagging is present on this site. Thousands of posts from you, heaps of worthwhile contributions, now few or none.

Another clear illustration how anonymous rep feedback hurts this site.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Someone has been going through my posts and negging me for posts from a yr or more ago. Mostly because they don't like what I say. No accountability whatsoever. I don't come here very often anymore for that reason. And when I do, It's mostly just to lurk on my local forum and I rarely post. There's plenty of other cycling forums out there where this isn't an issue.

Its probably your incessant whining and getting threads you don't agree with shut down. Suck it up if your going to act that way. And no I didn't neg. rep you but I will be happy to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Eh, never mind.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    You are new to the this internet thing? Remember the Dickwad theory?

But yes, you are right.

Crazed Country Rebel
    you deserve it!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Hello
    I have a lot of negative reps...haha.

sent from my rotary phone

mtbr member
    I got some neg rep a while back, that was sent due to a misunderstanding which was settled via PMs shortly after. I asked the other party if it could be undone, but did not hear back. I guess it probably can't be undone? This is why the reputation feature seems like a waste of time.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm now up to 4 unsigned negative reps from this thread just because I said people should own what they say. I'm far more dickish in other threads yet I rarely get negs.

I'll give a positive in return if somebody neg's me in this thread and actually signs it.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I'm now up to 4 unsigned negative reps from this thread just because I said people should own what they say. I'm far more dickish in other threads yet I rarely get negs.

I'll give a positive in return if somebody neg's me in this thread and actually signs it.

Nawww, that just wouldn't be right.

Crazed Country Rebel

I'm here to serve.

Specialized sucks dong

Trail Prospector

Ooookay, not sure how this'll play in rep-ville, but here's a gift for you.
    In return, please, tell us if your intent is to become the new Red Chicklet King,
    and to de-throne davidcopperfield? If so, break out the big guns, he's quite a contestant.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    I'm here to serve.
    Can't get you back. Loved you already too much

Thanks to the rest who played !

Crazed Country Rebel
    Can't get you back. Loved you already too much

Thanks to the rest who played !
    awe man, now I feel bad.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The rep unit system is a dismal failure. The mods know it as well. It has nothing to do with content of post, rather the ego's of people. It's obviously been abused, if the mods really want to keep the rep system on it's merit, they need to start giving out the points, not members.

The principal is good, but it was never going to work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Rep is stupid, doubly so for anonymous rep, I'd bet the majority of everyone here feels that way.
    ditto it seems that i've got some haters

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    What a shame. Not a shame that people will act in such ways—nothing really to be done about that. It's a loss that a system which enables ad homonym slagging is present on this site. Thousands of posts from you, heaps of worthwhile contributions, now few or none.

Another clear illustration how anonymous rep feedback hurts this site.
    Not as an accomplished poster as above, but after tonight, I too am leaving. Neg rep with no accountability. I only wish the Admins removed this system. I'm done. Thanks...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Not as an accomplished poster as above, but after tonight, I too am leaving. Neg rep with no accountability. I only wish the Admins removed this system. I'm done. Thanks...
    If just a little negative rep, which doesn't even do anything anyway, is enough to make you leave, then you shouldn't even get on the internets. In fact, you probably shouldn't even leave your house.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post

That's all it took? What do you do when you actually have to speak to a real live person, you know, face to face?

workin' it Administrator
    I question I have for all of you who are against the anonymous system is: What would you do if it wasn't anonymous and you received negative rep?

1. Would you search out the giver and reciprocate negatively to one of their posts that you didn't agree with?
    2. Would you search out the giver and reciprocate negatively to any of their posts regardless of content?
    3. Would having them give you negative rep in return again cause you to start flaming them in threads?
    4. Would you go "Hmmm that is odd", look at the offending post, determine whether it was a valid criticism and if not just realize that it is some ass on the internet and go about your mtbr day?

If you answered yes to 1-3 then this is why rep is anonymous. If it wasn't, just like most e-arguments, it would go back and forth, then manifest into flaming and stalking and frankly there is already enough of that as it is. I would say that 1/10% of users on here would take the option 4 and move on and frankly I have enough to do on here than to moderate rep as well.
    Try this: HTFU

Ride More, Whine Less
    I have grown to believe the system is self correcting. If you are unjustly zapped by the Grimm repper, others will right the wrong. if you are off base, it helps to provide an offline way to give feedback.

I think the real issue may be the exponential growth of rep. More and more people will soon be off the chart.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    1. Would you search out the giver and reciprocate negatively to one of their posts that you didn't agree with?
    2. Would you search out the giver and reciprocate negatively to any of their posts regardless of content?
    3. Would having them give you negative rep in return again cause you to start flaming them in threads?
    4. Would you go "Hmmm that is odd", look at the offending post, determine whether it was a valid criticism and if not just realize that it is some ass on the internet and go about your mtbr day?
    1. Yes. 2. Yes. 3. No. 4. There is no such thing as valid criticism on the internet.

You are new to this whole intrawebz thing?

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Yes. Yes. No. The is no such thing as valid criticism on the internet.

You are new to this whole intrawebz thing?
    Is that valid? hmm.
    Try this: HTFU

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Is that valid? hmm.
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    The man is keeping me down.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    if it were not anonymous, it wouldn't be left in the first place, or it would at least be constructive.

I question I have for all of you who are against the anonymous system is: What would you do if it wasn't anonymous and you received negative rep?

If you answered yes to 1-3 then this is why rep is anonymous. If it wasn't, just like most e-arguments, it would go back and forth, then manifest into flaming and stalking and frankly there is already enough of that as it is. I would say that 1/10% of users on here would take the option 4 and move on and frankly I have enough to do on here than to moderate rep as well.
    1. just disagree? no.
    2. absolutely not.
    3. childish much?
    4. most likely.

what mandatory signed rep would do is help to reduce the abuse of the system by the idiots who neg rep for anything. I've received multiple neg reps referencing my current avatar. seriously? a picture of me in movie makeup? neg reps with comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the post I was neg repped for? that steams of people abusing the system.

I sign the reps I hand out, and I have yet to receive a neg rep referencing one I gave out, and for that matter, I can't recall receiving neg rep shortly after giving one.

what I'm more likely to do, in addition to #4 on the list, is send the person a private message asking why they gave a particularly puzzling neg rep. if I said something stupid, I own up to it. oh well. I have received some perfectly understandable neg reps and they are what they are. you can't make everyone happy.

I have grown to believe the system is self correcting. If you are unjustly zapped by the Grimm repper, others will right the wrong. if you are off base, it helps to provide an offline way to give feedback.
    this mostly seems to be true. if you're an active poster with a known mostly positive personality, you'll get positive rep sooner rather than later. for new/infrequent posters, though, this seems to be troubling.

I think the real issue may be the exponential growth of rep. More and more people will soon be off the chart.
    true. I think that can be pretty intimidating to new posters. I mean go over to RBR and it makes CHUM's infected chicklets look like a measly staph infection compared to the rep-whoring that's gong on.

it might be high time to stretch out the chicklet intervals for higher reps. let the first few chicklets be fairly easy to get, but make it harder get bunches of bright green chicklets. I just passed 1100 rep points....what if the first bright green chicklet didn't show up until you hit 1000 or 2000 and the second at 10x that number and so on? I think that would make more active posters appear a little less intimidating to the newer folks.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast