Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 251

Thread: Negative reps.

  1. #26
    Plays with tools
    Reputation: customfab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,230
    Here's an idea. I would like to be able to respond to the people giving me rep. If the admin don't want to give the system transparency then make it blind. In other words I don't care what user the message is going to I just want to thank them or defend my comment that they rep'ed me for.

  2. #27
    Trail Prospector
    Reputation: Flyin_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,606
    +1 ^ This.
    Love or hate, sign your name.
    Better yet, reply to the post, and let the forum decide.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

  3. #28
    Bunny Hoppin Gators
    Reputation: drivengsxr1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    177
    i don't pay attention to the rep points anyways, i take everyone's opinion and decide for myself witch one seems the most legit

  4. #29
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,190
    I'll find you Mr. 12/28/2011 @ 5:56PM !!!!

  5. #30
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,367
    Negative Reps take away from those who want to help others or want to spark intriguing dialogue in order to think outside the box. It inhibits creative thinking and alternate ideals when one is worried about posting something that others may not agree with. I still stand by that having the reddies is counter productive to growing the forum and in fact, will diminish the post count.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Camel Toad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    190
    When a comment in negative rep says "want help to shoot yourself?" because they disagree with my opinion it makes me agree with the rest of you that the whole system is ridiculous in its anonymity. Every user, mods/admins included, should have their user names logged with the rep comments.

  7. #32
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,367
    Heres one.

    Neg rep for being an ignorant, arrogant fool on the forums.h

  8. #33
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    the negative reps are designed to discourage posting. less server time cluttered up with actual posts allows more ads to be pumped onto the page.

  9. #34
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,977
    Ah it's just BS don't worry just keep posting it's not like your gonna see a charge on your credit card for red chicklets!

    Gary +1 for the Maico avatar, tell me it's a 501?

  10. #35
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,080
    I'm pleased to say I'm rep'n in the hole. The negative rep I got was "nope". That's all. The thread was a general discussion thread where opinions were being discussed. Apparently my opinion was not shared by an individual so he/she stuck it to me.

    Now, if we wanted to have the rep system be meaningful, we would have an adjudication process. Essentially, all negative feedback could be evaluated and potentially rejected by the moderators. This would alleviate the need to make the person suggesting the negative feedback known to the user since I think people could resolve that if the opinion was seconded by a moderator, it was a reasonable concern.

    While I would consider myself reasonably easy going, I confess that if I knew who gave me a negative rep, it would be hard to fight the urge to return the favor. I'm certain that I would not be alone with such tenancies based on some of the discussions I have seen in the time I've been a member.

  11. #36
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,367
    501.

  12. #37
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Heres one.

    Neg rep for being an ignorant, arrogant fool on the forums.h
    Wasn't me but you were wrong about the WD40

  13. #38
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Wasn't me but you were wrong about the WD40
    I said I used Finish Line, I never said I used WD-40 as a lube. I just posted links and other opinions.

  14. #39
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,106
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I'm pleased to say I'm rep'n in the hole. The negative rep I got was "nope". That's all. The thread was a general discussion thread where opinions were being discussed. Apparently my opinion was not shared by an individual so he/she stuck it to me.

    Now, if we wanted to have the rep system be meaningful, we would have an adjudication process. Essentially, all negative feedback could be evaluated and potentially rejected by the moderators. This would alleviate the need to make the person suggesting the negative feedback known to the user since I think people could resolve that if the opinion was seconded by a moderator, it was a reasonable concern.

    While I would consider myself reasonably easy going, I confess that if I knew who gave me a negative rep, it would be hard to fight the urge to return the favor. I'm certain that I would not be alone with such tenancies based on some of the discussions I have seen in the time I've been a member.
    I appreciate the idea but I think that we wouldn't have enough time to review the negative reps that fly around here. Just remember that the majority of the negatives come from low rep power users and that the majority of us higher rep power users not only sign all our reps but rarely give negative reps.

    Just participate in the process, ignore the idiots and you will gain rep and rep power as time goes to dole out however you see fit. Reward those that need rewarding, refrain from negative repping because you disagree and save it for trolls and people that consistently post garbage. That way those red squares will help indicate who isn't a serious and who does consistently post garbage.
    Try this: HTFU

  15. #40
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    I said I used Finish Line, I never said I used WD-40 as a lube. I just posted links and other opinions.
    You mean you were just stirring the pot? That hardly seems like you...

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,812
    My favorite, so far: "What the hell does that mean?"

  17. #42
    Glue Sniffer
    Reputation: catzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I appreciate the idea but I think that we wouldn't have enough time to review the negative reps that fly around here. Just remember that the majority of the negatives come from low rep power users and that the majority of us higher rep power users not only sign all our reps but rarely give negative reps.

    Just participate in the process, ignore the idiots and you will gain rep and rep power as time goes to dole out however you see fit. Reward those that need rewarding, refrain from negative repping because you disagree and save it for trolls and people that consistently post garbage. That way those red squares will help indicate who isn't a serious and who does consistently post garbage.
    But it seems the issue isn't the red square in and of itself, but of the flagrant and at times creepy insults that go with it -- insults that would be quickly taken care of on the public forum, but are perfectly fine through undesired private anonymous one-way communication.

    There are many (including myself and plenty other bike industry folks) on this board who haven't made it a huge practice to hide who they are in real life. It's never bothered me, but had I received the "need help shooting yourself" comment, I'd be a little wigged.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use. www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

  18. #43
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,500
    There is a guy with three red chicklets. Yep, he deserves it.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Wishful Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,079
    Catzilla, +rep 'cause cats are cool

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    897
    I got a red mark; all it said was "negative/ myth" I wonder what constituted that? How did they know of my beliefs? Was it really worth it? No.

    In all seriousness -and I have changed my tune some- institute more COLORS, or bin the whole damn rating system. The infamous are already thriving, as comes with notoriety. It's human nature, and not always a bad thing. Well, here on MTBR it is.

  21. #46
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    You mean you were just stirring the pot? That hardly seems like you...
    Of course!

  22. #47
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,367
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I appreciate the idea but I think that we wouldn't have enough time to review the negative reps that fly around here. Just remember that the majority of the negatives come from low rep power users and that the majority of us higher rep power users not only sign all our reps but rarely give negative reps.

    Just participate in the process, ignore the idiots and you will gain rep and rep power as time goes to dole out however you see fit. Reward those that need rewarding, refrain from negative repping because you disagree and save it for trolls and people that consistently post garbage. That way those red squares will help indicate who isn't a serious and who does consistently post garbage.
    As a former super mod and admin on other sites, I know what yall have to go through. It's a thankless job and are more than often under the gun rather than appreciated. That's why I don't do it anymore.

    Hope yall know that I didn't create this thread in order to downgrade or disrespect MTBR. And yes I used the "Troll" tactic in order to bring the subject public in order for closure of this topic, I did so with no malcontent.

  23. #48
    Life Is Short
    Reputation: fatcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,728
    Silly system thats as outdated as a threaded steer tube
    Ride More, Eat More

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    956
    I just looked at my feedback for the first time. Someone negrepped me for saying "You guys really sent it." I guess he took issue with the terminology, saying in effect he did not understand it, albeit with some condescending language.

    This to me clearly illustrates how ridiculous this reputation feature is as it stands.

    Dear powers that be: Can you not see how users' ability to leave anonymous slag like I described above detracts from your web site? People should be accountable for rep feedback just as they are posts and PMs. The way it's set up now invites vindictiveness (something this site alleges to discourage between users).

    Cheers,

    Mike
    Last edited by She&I; 02-23-2012 at 07:13 PM.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,833
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Dear powers that be: Can you not see how users' ability to leave anonymous slag like I described above detracts from your web site? People should be accountable for rep feedback just as they are posts and PMs. The way it's set up now invites vindictiveness (something this site alleges to discourage between users).

    Cheers,

    Mike
    Someone has been going through my posts and negging me for posts from a yr or more ago. Mostly because they don't like what I say. No accountability whatsoever. I don't come here very often anymore for that reason. And when I do, It's mostly just to lurk on my local forum and I rarely post. There's plenty of other cycling forums out there where this isn't an issue.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your Reps care about you
    By Not So Fast in forum Midwest - IL, IN, OH, KY, IA, MO
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 04:48 AM
  2. any manitou reps out there?
    By peabody in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 09:16 PM
  3. Titus cuts reps????
    By Pedal Bike in forum Titus
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 07:58 PM
  4. Specialized Reps or techs?
    By Too Rass Goat in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 09:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •