Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,420

    MTBR pages never finish loading....

    MTBR pages never finish loading, the little circle keeps turning on my cursor. I'm using Chrome.

    Any ideas what's going on?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    MTBR pages never finish loading, the little circle keeps turning on my cursor. I'm using Chrome.

    Any ideas what's going on?

    My guess is one of the ads that is trying to load is using a plug-in that Chrome doesn't like very well. I had similar problems (almost always with the flash plug-in hanging). Ideally, MTBR would cut down a little on the amount of bandwidth the ads can use. I truly do understand the ads keep the site up. And hurray for that! I have supported the advertisers, and am getting ready to again (Glowlight I think). But do all ten or twenty ads on each page have to be mini-movies? It makes the entire website so slow on my decrepit old laptop!

    Switched back to Firefox and the problems went away and the site at least tripled in speed. Speaking of plug-ins...


    Rick

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    61
    I use IE8 and the same thing here. Never stops loading. When it is done, it constantly starts then stops and so on.
    Bill

    '95 Raleigh 400, STX-RC (road, touring)
    '00 Santa Cruz Superlight, XTR
    (Northern N.J.)

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5
    Yeah, it is the ads. Switch to Firefox and do a little research on the available add-ons (for Firefox). There is a solution to the problem there. I'm not going to be any more specific because I don't want to get in trouble with the mods. Ad revenue is what keeps the site going, unfortunately the way it runs now it also keeps the site almost unusable on slower machines.

    Rick

  5. #5
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,420
    Mine's not a slower machine, its a dual core 1Gz netbook. I want to help the site w/revenue but I don't want my netbook locking up so bad I have to do a hard reset without being able to power down. MTBR is the only website I frequent that does this to my Acer netbook.

    When my netbook starts grinding on MTBR I kill Chrome and restart it, that almost always fixes the issue. Seems to be related to Adobe Flash because that error is always popping up too.

    This is BS and does make me limit my time on the website.

  6. #6
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,308
    My browser (Safari on a Mac) is hung trying to load from the following URL:
    http://cdn.royale.spongecell.com/api...ts/49638043.js

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Mine's not a slower machine, its a dual core 1Gz netbook.

    This is BS and does make me limit my time on the website.
    FWIW a NetBook is a slower machine. On my NetBook I run Firefox and use adblock, a free plugin. Works great never see any ads and pages load much faster.

  8. #8
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,301
    Does it happen every time? Just forums or the whole mtbr site? Check the blog for example:
    Strava – The Social Stopwatch | Mountain Bike Review

    fc

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    416
    Firefox 13.0.1 on an older iMac. Eventually it all loads but it is one of the slowest loading websites out there. Combine that with the ads (MTBR based ads) pic resizing everytime it loads and I am finding this very useful website testing my patience.
    Maybe I'm just getting too old...now get off my lawn. ;-)

    Cheers,
    Mike

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    46
    Yeah this site runs like poop. The ppl and the Info is quality tho!

  11. #11
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    FWIW a NetBook is a slower machine. On my NetBook I run Firefox and use adblock, a free plugin. Works great never see any ads and pages load much faster.
    Eff that, I'm running Windows 7 on a machine with a dual core processor less than 1 year old. This site shouldn't lock up my machine, I'm not going out and buying a more expensive machine, I'm not loading yet another browser or doing the ad blocker. It's only an issue here, WTF, MTBR?

  12. #12
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Does it happen every time? Just forums or the whole mtbr site? Check the blog for example:
    Strava The Social Stopwatch | Mountain Bike Review

    fc
    Doesn't happen every time, it's random. I mostly just hangout on the forum so I don't know if it's just forum related. I haven't noticed its just one ad or weblink. I switched to Chrome because it was sooooo bad with IE8. Not as bad with Chrome but still happens.

    The page you referenced loads fine but that could just be a good day.

    I've noticed it's not happened in the last few days, that makes me happy. LOL on the "get off my lawn" comment, that fits me to a tee. I had a 5 year old gateway laptop and upgraded just for this issue, now I'm old and grumpy!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Eff that, I'm running Windows 7 on a machine with a dual core processor less than 1 year old. This site shouldn't lock up my machine, I'm not going out and buying a more expensive machine, I'm not loading yet another browser or doing the ad blocker. It's only an issue here, WTF, MTBR?
    My cell phone is more powerful than my NetBook. Just saying.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    40
    Yep, loading issues here as well.
    Takes forever for the home page to load, then the forum page, then switching forum pages, then.........

    I'm on an older PC, but this site and Road Bike Review are pretty much the only sites I have issues with.
    Too soon old-Too late smart!

  15. #15
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    My cell phone is more powerful than my NetBook. Just saying.
    So you're saying I need to upgrade to a screaming desktop or a expensive laptop, otherwise I'm stuck with long load times?

    What minimum system do you recommend to view MTBR.com?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    So you're saying I need to upgrade to a screaming desktop or a expensive laptop, otherwise I'm stuck with long load times?

    What minimum system do you recommend to view MTBR.com?
    Not at all, mtbr works fine with my netbook. Just use Firefox with adblock. It's easy and uses less resources than IE for sure.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    258
    Im on chrome with adblock and even for me it wont load sometimes. It gets hung up on the right hand stuff about reviews and videos. I generally have to log out and back in to get it to stop loading.

  18. #18
    Frt Range, CO
    Reputation: pursuiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,420
    I bumped my dual core netbook up to 4GB of RAM for $20, much better now.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NuckingFuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    178
    This is the only site that I've come across recently that ALWAYS loads super slow. In the last 24 hrs it has been so slow that it times out and only after several attempts does it finally load (but takes FOREVER). It was bad before but It's getting worse!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckingFuts View Post
    This is the only site that I've come across recently that ALWAYS loads super slow. In the last 24 hrs it has been so slow that it times out and only after several attempts does it finally load (but takes FOREVER). It was bad before but It's getting worse!
    Yep, in the last 24 hours this site has been impossible to load at times

    But normally? its just simply slow. This is by far, even under normal conditions, the slowest site ive ever browsed. Using adblock with chrome eliminates the issues. But when I try to browse the site on my iphone 4 with safari? Too frustrating to do for more than 5 minutes, I usually just give up and not visit the site until I get home and use the laptop.

    Its the Ads, and yes, its keeping me from visiting the site sometimes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •