~ B A D A S S ~

I suggest a "best practice" forum

Yes I am. It would work something similar to this:

it would have subforums for brakes, suspension, drivetrain, etc or even induvidual components or if in the same "family", subforums for families of components.

It would contain stickied threads about how to either service, overhaul, adjust or whatever a certain component or family of components if they are all pretty much similar.

Such as how to bleed Maguras newest line of brakes or Formulas older ones or. how to change seals/service/overhaul a Rockshox x fork.

But there would also be a discussion thread for all the sticky threads, where professionals, all types of users, and maybe even the manufacturers that made the part can all chime in and come up with one good solution regarding how to service, overhaul, adjust, or do whatever really to a certain component. and also a "stupid questions thread" for those who don't understand the sticky nor the method discussion thread.

just to clarify. Each component or family of components if very similar has 3 threads and each components is a subforum of a subforum kinda. Brakes->Magura->Their newest **** (family)->3 threads as described above

this way, if you have a non working suspension component X you could easily go into this forum and click away until you find your particular component of family of components, read it and be sure its a good method of fixing the problem. Or at least the best known to date. It helps the noobs and it saves us all time.

So? where is my forum??
    Last edited by car bone; 02-08-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

AZ
    banned
    Dude. How many sub forums is that?

~ B A D A S S ~
    eventually a few thousands probably. but it works like folders on your computer, you know to get to things fast without searching. like a tree structure.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    or 3 threads per product if you want, sure some products don't actually need any instructions at all, like skewers and saddles and whatnot. but more complex products that users regulary ask technical questions about or have problems with (that they at the moment can't solve themselves) deserve to be in there.

just thinking out loud here hoping god will hear me..

Specialized sucks ass.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    I must say that I dislike the idea. A myriad of subforums makes it very hard to find advise.

Imagine that a guy posted an excellent guide on how to bleed Shimano SLX brakes in the Shimano SLX subforum, but my brakes are Deore XT's which basically bleeds in the same way but I don't find the proper guide because I don't know to look in the SLX subforum for it.

Or how about adjusting a rear shifter? With 72 rear shifter subforums, how do I find the subforum with the brilliant how-to now that no one bothered to post a guide in the subforum for my specific rear shifter?

Not to mention people asking a question having to figure out if their 2012 wheel hubs are new enough to go into the "newest version" subforum or the older one.

It is my general experience that the fewer subforums a forum has, the easier it is to use. Subforums should only be created once a certain subject has enough flow for a life of it's own. Your suggestion just creates a boatload of subforums with very little (if any) flow, make it harder to find the gems of information, and will have a lot of people trying to figure out where to put a post and others telling them they are in the wrong subforum.

Keep it simple, I'd much prefer too few subforums over too many and your idea sounds like a lot too many.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Is this for real?