Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87
  1. #1
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,292

    Forum Reputation and Rep Power. What is it?


    Now that we have upgraded to a newer version of the forums, we have access to about a dozen awesome new features. One of the features attracting a lot of attention is Reputation and Rep Power.

    What is it and why is it important?

    It is a way of sorting who are the really good contributors to the forum and who are not. It's like Ebay's seller Rating where you can quickly tell who are the established/trusted members of the group and whether you should buy from them or not. In our case, it's whether we should read their stuff or not.

    Basically, anybody can rate anyone and the users decide who are the best members of the group. In the future, it will help us bubble up and listen to the best content in the forum. And it will help us manage the spam and the garbage.

    At the mininim, it can be fun.

    The basics:

    - This allows you to rank another user + or - and say something about them.

    Reputation Rating - The total of all the rankings other folks have given you. One green dot = 100 rating points

    Reputation Power - The weight of the + reputation you give to others. More established users wield a bigger sword when rating other users.




    To see how others have rated you, go to the bottom of your Account page:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/usercp.php

    To see all the users sorted by Reputation:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/memberlist.ph...utation&pp=100

    For the nitty gritty of how it calculates Reputation and Reputation Power, here are the settings:
    Register Date Factor - For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

    365

    Post Count Factor - For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

    1000

    Reputation Point Factor - For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

    100

    Minimum Post Count - How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

    50

    Minimum Reputation Count - How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

    10

    Daily Reputation Clicks Limit - How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? Administrators are exempt from this limit.

    10

    Reputation User Spread - How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? Administrators are exempt from this limit.

    100

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,798
    Well, it doesn't work so great. Every post I make is either frickin hilarious, or brilliant, and nobody gives me f@#$% sh#$. But.....I say one little thing that someone doesn't like, and they're all over my S#$%!!!

  3. #3
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,177
    Thanks for the explanation.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,798
    So if you look at the feedback people give you at your account page, it is obvious that a green square is positive and a red square is negative, but what's a blue square?

  5. #5
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,342
    I don't think they have rep power
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  6. #6
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,997
    Yep, neutral rep.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,798
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Yep, neutral rep.
    But when you give someone rep, your choice is positive or negative. So, neutral means that they have no rep power to transfer positive or negative e-vibes to you, but if they don't leave a comment, you don't know if they liked your post or didn't. It's just...blue.

  8. #8
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,342
    If it's negative - they have to leave a comment
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  9. #9
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,997
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    If it's negative - they have to leave a comment


    /\ This.............

  10. #10
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,707
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    What is it and why is it important?

    It is a way of sorting who are the really good contributors to the forum and who are not. It's like Ebay's seller Rating where you can quickly tell who are the established/trusted members of the group and whether you should buy from them or not. In our case, it's whether we should read their stuff or not.

    Basically, anybody can rate anyone and the users decide who are the best members of the group. In the future, it will help us bubble up and listen to the best content in the forum. And it will help us manage the spam and the garbage.

    At the mininim, it can be fun.
    Ok, this is an excellent concept. There are many "experts" here giving out really bad advice! (God bless their self centered, myopic, egotistical, testosterone inflamed hearts! )

    However, after watching this for some time, it seems to be a good old boy, cliquish game. "You support by pork barrel amendment, and I will support yours." Being clever and funny will get you more rep than being knowledgeable and experienced. Look at the NorCal, Singlespeed forums for example, whoever has the most rep is not often the most knowledgeable, but they may have charisma. The people who I have learned really know what they state, and are the most helpful, often have very low values in both.

    So it seems that you still have to know whose advice is good, and whose is not. The Rep items don't seem to be moving in the reliable, trustworthy direction.

    Maybe I just need to give it six months or so for the feeling of power to wear off and it will become the tool it is designed to be. Now it is the shiny new toy that, like a squirt gun, you can indiscriminately spray everyone in sight, and the dog, and the cat, and the sidewalk, and the telephone pole, and the fire hydrant?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    115
    It's a good idea in theory but the practicality is more the problem. In my local forum it just makes a high school clique mentality that makes it rough for veteran cyclists that have been riding for years to have an opinion that differs from the "established clique" of 3 or 4 users that are just part of a riding group that filibuster the forum.

    I guess it's more the problem of Internet message boards in general that depending how much time you have to waste and constantly post and post and bash your point of view over and over again in every thread is the people that get the rep and the last word.

    Honestly, for someone who has a different perspective it's not fun, as you just end up having to argue every point or get bullied by multiple people even though they have nothing to contribute, they just post to argue for the sake of arguing, because they don't like a certain user or a point of view that is subjective.

    So for a new poster but veteran cyclist, it doesn't really work, as they would have to either put up with a lot of bickering and useless posts, or get their cycling group to participate int he forum to try and drown out the other group.

    So to me the only thing this rep system does is promote cliques where people support each other no matter what, like a political party and makes things more political than facts based. I see the most success on concentrating on a per post basis, instead of the user, as the important content is the text in the post, not the user, also this would prevent useless posts just for the sake of posting, which can get out of hand.

    My 2 cents.

  12. #12
    Hmmmmm
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,777
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAnimator View Post
    It's a good idea in theory but the practicality is more the problem. In my local forum it just makes a high school clique mentality that makes it rough for veteran cyclists that have been riding for years to have an opinion that differs from the "established clique" of 3 or 4 users that are just part of a riding group that filibuster the forum.

    I guess it's more the problem of Internet message boards in general that depending how much time you have to waste and constantly post and post and bash your point of view over and over again in every thread is the people that get the rep and the last word.

    Honestly, for someone who has a different perspective it's not fun, as you just end up having to argue every point or get bullied by multiple people even though they have nothing to contribute, they just post to argue for the sake of arguing, because they don't like a certain user or a point of view that is subjective.

    So for a new poster but veteran cyclist, it doesn't really work, as they would have to either put up with a lot of bickering and useless posts, or get their cycling group to participate int he forum to try and drown out the other group.

    So to me the only thing this rep system does is promote cliques where people support each other no matter what, like a political party and makes things more political than facts based. I see the most success on concentrating on a per post basis, instead of the user, as the important content is the text in the post, not the user, also this would prevent useless posts just for the sake of posting, which can get out of hand.

    My 2 cents.
    That is turning out to be a good point. Sometimes the establishment doesn't really know what they are talking about, but they have those rep points based on sheer numbers of posts.
    I ran into that recently, when I was explaining that you really shouldn't mix up drivetrain parts made for different speed drivetrains. IE, it's not a good idea to mix and match 8, 9 and 10 spd drivetrains. Some get lucky and give out bad advice based on that luck, and are listened to based on Reputation. I have practical experience with mixing drivetrain parts from different spd drivetrains (accidentally) and know that Sram and Shimano do know their products and mixing things is a bad idea.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

    Peace and Long Rides...

  13. #13
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,840
    A month + later and rep power still can't be turned off, despite the following in the FAQ:

    "What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?

    You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options. On this page you will find a check box labelled 'Show Your Reputation Level'. Un-checking this box will remove the display of your reputation and replace it with the Reputation Disabled icon. You can still give and receive reputation while your reputation display is disabled."

    When will we be able to disable our reputation? The check box labelled 'Show Your Reputation Level' does not exist. At least not in My Account for me.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,812
    Mine's broken - stupid square is green again.

  15. #15
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,919
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

    Now that we have upgraded to a newer version of the forums, we have access to about a dozen awesome new features. One of the features attracting a lot of attention is Reputation and Rep Power.

    What is it and why is it important?

    It is a way of sorting who are the really good contributors to the forum and who are not. It's like Ebay's seller Rating where you can quickly tell who are the established/trusted members of the group and whether you should buy from them or not. In our case, it's whether we should read their stuff or not.

    Basically, anybody can rate anyone and the users decide who are the best members of the group. In the future, it will help us bubble up and listen to the best content in the forum. And it will help us manage the spam and the garbage.

    At the mininim, it can be fun.

    The basics:

    - This allows you to rank another user + or - and say something about them.

    Reputation Rating - The total of all the rankings other folks have given you. One green dot = 100 rating points

    Reputation Power - The weight of the + reputation you give to others. More established users wield a bigger sword when rating other users.




    To see how others have rated you, go to the bottom of your Account page:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/usercp.php

    To see all the users sorted by Reputation:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/memberlist.ph...utation&pp=100

    For the nitty gritty of how it calculates Reputation and Reputation Power, here are the settings:
    Register Date Factor - For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

    365

    Post Count Factor - For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

    1000

    Reputation Point Factor - For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

    100

    Minimum Post Count - How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

    50

    Minimum Reputation Count - How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

    10

    Daily Reputation Clicks Limit - How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? Administrators are exempt from this limit.

    10

    Reputation User Spread - How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? Administrators are exempt from this limit.

    100
    The system is broken Francois. You've stepped back to the 17th century and witch hunts and the stoning to the death of innocent people, without a fair trial.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 07-08-2011 at 10:05 AM.

  16. #16
    Hmmmmm
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,777
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    The system is broken Francois. You've stepped back to the 17th century and witch hunts and the stoning to the death of innocent people, without a fair trial.
    Yep...
    I got negative rep points for making a joke.
    I got negative rep points and called names, for bringing up a very legit point about the ad and link bar on the right.

    These people that are doing this are long time trouble makers around these forums.
    Trolls another words.
    Some of them are getting rep points themselves, by being insulting and unprofessional.
    Some of their posts aren't in ignorance like I once thought, they must be deliberately misinforming others for the fun of it.


    It's a clique mentality.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

    Peace and Long Rides...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,798
    No matter what negatives you can list about this rep system, it is important to remember that it really doesn't matter.

    I think that's a pretty good point I just made, so go ahead and click that f&^%$ing yellow thumbs up thing for me!!

    Do it!!!!!

  18. #18
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,342
    We all just need cool tattoos like CHUM so we can have 7 green chiclets!

    *EDIT - Preemptively increased the # to 7
    Honestly... ahh I give up

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1

    rutherknox is a troll

    the poster known as rutherknox is a known internet troll and should not be allowed to post on any site on the internet.

    Moderators take note.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll_Hunter View Post
    the poster known as rutherknox is a known internet troll and should not be allowed to post on any site on the internet.

    Moderators take note.
    You need more rep for anyone to believe you.

  21. #21
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    You need more rep for anyone to believe you.


    Yep.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    181
    Weird, my account page isn't showing the rating others have given me.

  23. #23
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,997
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbubbles View Post
    Weird, my account page isn't showing the rating others have given me.
    Check it now.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    181
    Now it works, that's weird.

  25. #25
    Life on a Sandbar
    Reputation: TraumaARNP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Mine's broken - stupid square is green again.
    That's weird, mine is now a pulsing, rasta colored blinking chicklet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Reputation
    By MoabiSlim in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
  2. Custom builders with bad reputation
    By rapidcarbon in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 06:17 AM
  3. What do you think GT's reputation is?
    By arewenotmen in forum GT
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 11:44 PM
  4. Do XT hubs warrant their bad reputation?
    By 6thElement in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 09:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •