Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Mine's broken - stupid square is green again.
    HAAA! HA!!!

Gotcha!

I'm doin' my best to keep your green thingy on 'cause I know it infuriates you!

^^^ (It's a Turner thing)
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    i see some green and grey squares in my rep list. what are the grey ones?

love the site so far

thanks!
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    i see some green and grey squares in my rep list. what are the grey ones?

love the site so far

thanks!

Grey represents zero, if it was neg. rep. a comment has to be left, otherwise it was pos.rep from someone with zero reputation.

mtbr member
    good stuff, thanks for the quick reply.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    OK,

Thanks for taking care of my stupid green square - red again, and working great!

~Disc~Golf~
    the red really brings out your eyes
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Mention a particular online bike retailer in anything resembling an unflattering light, and you'll not only get neg rep, but they'll insult your wife too.

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Mention a particular online bike retailer in anything resembling an unflattering light, and you'll not only get neg rep, but they'll insult your wife too.
    Yep. There are factory reps and company fans willing to say anything or do anything to defend even the worst products.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    it becomes ridiculous when people start dishing negative rep out at random. I got a period as the negative reputation comment when I said this:

Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    damn, those were awesome videos. that is an incredible speed to go out
    the fastest I've done was short 50 mph, but nothing like coming down Tioga

the system shouldn't be anonymous. it should be shown when someone reps you either way

I blacked out the thread names, but here's what I think the system should look more like

mtbr member
    agreed ^

mtbr member
    it becomes ridiculous when people start dishing negative rep out at random. I got a period as the negative reputation comment when I said this:

Originally Posted by ehigh
    damn, those were awesome videos. that is an incredible speed to go out
    the fastest I've done was short 50 mph, but nothing like coming down Tioga

the system shouldn't be anonymous. it should be shown when someone reps you either way

I blacked out the thread names, but here's what I think the system should look more like...

Dude that's hilarious. Your negative comment was a period, because your post was missing at least one!

But I agree that's no reason for neg rep, and I think that's a good idea to show where the rep is coming from, although it would lead to tit for tat retaliation.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Dude that's hilarious. Your negative comment was a period, because your post was missing at least one!

But I agree that's no reason for neg rep, and I think that's a good idea to show where the rep is coming from, although it would lead to tit for tat retaliation.
    dude, now I realize that's why they neg repped me. it is actually kind of funny. I mean, negative rep-what does it really amount to at the end of the day?

I certainly would add to a drama level on the forums, but this is how I see that it could be played out

make it so that you can see who reps who.
    the forums are already becoming more dramatic with a reputation feature and with the abliity to see who gave you negative rep, it will become even worse.
    the feature of negative rep doesn't entirely seem necessary. the only people that I really see as worth of using it is forum moderators. people who post more informative posts will simply have a high amount of rep. negative rep simply creates drama.

they could even still keep negative rep.

the forums need money, right?
    charge people a 'donation fee' and they can negative rep. if the people who donate abuse their ability to do it, a moderator should be able to take it away from them.

what I just said is exactly what happened over a few years time on the other forum I browse.
    started the same as here, anonymous rep system-and now is what it is.
    It works a lot better and their seems to be a much more positive vibe to the forum as a result.

mtbr member
    Should be interesting to see what it all looks like in 5-6 months.

mtbr member
    a couple automotive forums i am on have public rep systems. great communities as well.

AZ
    banned
    dude, now I realize that's why they neg repped me. it is actually kind of funny. I mean, negative rep-what does it really amount to at the end of the day?

I certainly would add to a drama level on the forums, but this is how I see that it could be played out

make it so that you can see who reps who.
    the forums are already becoming more dramatic with a reputation feature and with the abliity to see who gave you negative rep, it will become even worse.
    the feature of negative rep doesn't entirely seem necessary. the only people that I really see as worth of using it is forum moderators. people who post more informative posts will simply have a high amount of rep. negative rep simply creates drama.

they could even still keep negative rep.

the forums need money, right?
    charge people a 'donation fee' and they can negative rep. if the people who donate abuse their ability to do it, a moderator should be able to take it away from them.

what I just said is exactly what happened over a few years time on the other forum I browse.
    started the same as here, anonymous rep system-and now is what it is.
    It works a lot better and their seems to be a much more positive vibe to the forum as a result.

Who determines what constitutes abuse?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Who determines what constitutes abuse?
    When someone is being calm and respective in a debate about the laws of a given area and they receive negative reputation by the person they are debating, that constitutes abuse. They received because the person debating them didn't like what they had to say. Opinions should generally stay out of it. If someone negative reps a person because they recommend Avid brakes, that's abuse. They should discuss it.

If someone walks into a thread talking about the positive aspects of their low-end bike and how they enjoy and begins trolling on their low budget, that seems worthy. If a person mocks people, is disrespectful, childish, or flat out rude-then they deserve it.

A person can disagree with another person and communicate it in a manner that isn't, "f-you a-hole" but rather, "I don't entirely agree with your statement, and this is why..."

There are clearly a lot of grey areas in the matter, but I think that it is clear. Of course, this could only work if the system was set up so that the people who could negative rep others were only those who "donated" to the website and forum moderators. In the present state, there are to many people giving out inane and childish negative reputation points for the forum moderators to deal with. Currently, they have limited resources. I believe that MTBR should recruit some more of the veteran browsers to become forum moderators. Not administrators, but people with the powers to calm things down and take care of some of the petty drama present on the boards.

Admittedly, it is difficult. However, they did add quite an imperfect reputation system that so far has only increased the level of drama here. I think that it is their responsibility to fix it up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    Ok, this is an excellent concept. There are many "experts" here giving out really bad advice! (God bless their self centered, myopic, egotistical, testosterone inflamed hearts! )

However, after watching this for some time, it seems to be a good old boy, cliquish game. "You support by pork barrel amendment, and I will support yours." Being clever and funny will get you more rep than being knowledgeable and experienced. Look at the NorCal, Singlespeed forums for example, whoever has the most rep is not often the most knowledgeable, but they may have charisma. The people who I have learned really know what they state, and are the most helpful, often have very low values in both.

So it seems that you still have to know whose advice is good, and whose is not. The Rep items don't seem to be moving in the reliable, trustworthy direction.

Maybe I just need to give it six months or so for the feeling of power to wear off and it will become the tool it is designed to be. Now it is the shiny new toy that, like a squirt gun, you can indiscriminately spray everyone in sight, and the dog, and the cat, and the sidewalk, and the telephone pole, and the fire hydrant?
    Unfortunately, I don't think this part of the rep system will ever change. On most forums, it is those who are funny or can post a funny picture at the right time who have the most reputation. The mechanics and bike builders who really know their stuff probably won't have much rep unless they truly strive for it. It's a broken system that you can only try to help. But that aspect-it won't really change.
    Last edited by ehigh; 09-26-2011 at 08:51 PM.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Can someone please tell this dummy where I see what others have said? There's nothing in my CP as far as I can tell.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Can someone please tell this dummy where I see what others have said? There's nothing in my CP as far as I can tell.
    Scroll way way way

D

O

W

N

to the bottom.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    What is it and why is it important?

It is a way of sorting who are the really good contributors to the forum and who are not. It's like Ebay's seller Rating where you can quickly tell who are the established/trusted members of the group and whether you should buy from them or not. In our case, it's whether we should read their stuff or not.

Basically, anybody can rate anyone and the users decide who are the best members of the group. In the future, it will help us bubble up and listen to the best content in the forum. And it will help us manage the spam and the garbage.

Reputation User Spread - How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? Administrators are exempt from this limit.

These two are incompatible, since you have to "spread it around" before you can tag the "really good contributors" again. Defeats that whole idea.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

AZ
    banned
    These two are incompatible, since you have to "spread it around" before you can tag the "really good contributors" again. Defeats that whole idea.

/\ This I agree with , I would like to see the cycle cut in half. Too many excellent posters going without the rep they deserve, have to give rep to average posts just to be able to rep the worthy ones. My two cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    /\ This I agree with , I would like to see the cycle cut in half. Too many excellent posters going without the rep they deserve, have to give rep to average posts just to be able to rep the worthy ones. My two cents.
    'cept this also allows the troll reps to happen twice as fast.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6 View Post
    'cept this also allows the troll reps to happen twice as fast.

The quality posters will be here long after the trolls have gone their way.

Hmmmmm
    I used to wonder why Facebook didn't have a "Dislike" button, but I sure understand now after a few months of this. LOL.

Actually, if FB did add a button like that, it would show which of your friends did it.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    I used to wonder why Facebook didn't have a "Dislike" button, but I sure understand now after a few months of this. LOL.

Actually, if FB did add a button like that, it would show which of your friends did it.
    I hate Mopars, but Eric is a pretty decent guy... my repping him is a conflict of interest?

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Scroll way way way down to the bottom.
    no luck! I've been checking everywhere. Scrolling down as far as possible, nothing!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast