mtbr member

Forum Category Suggestion for Steel Bikes

I am a huge steel frame fan. I love the looks, the feel, the nostalgia, everything.

I see there are others that share the same interests as me, and wonder why there isn't a such a category? Any information currently on this forum about steel bikes is fragmented into other categories, and cumbersome to look for.

Would love a "Steel is Real" category for us to share our interests. Would probably be a good idea for the description to also include Ti bikes.

Professional Crastinator
    This gets a little cumbersome because, if you look at various forums, there are "steel 29ers", "steel 29+", "steel 27.5+", etc. etc. etc.

It would be nice if there was a good way to link up all the "steel" stuff. The search function produces some kinda results, sorta... but probably not exactly what you were thinking of.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Yea, I'm thinking of a forum section for steel everything. From standard to plus, and hardtail to full suspension.

Steel everything!

mtbr member
    I don't think anyone wants to deal with this, but I think we could condense the bike-specific sub-forums into:
    1. hardtails
    2. full-suspension

this would collapse five forums that are based on wheel size into two forums based on frame type. that is a more important distinction than tire size by a wide margin. no doubt, there would be plenty of steel discussion in the hardtails forum.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I don't think anyone wants to deal with this, but I think we could condense the bike-specific sub-forums into:
    1. hardtails
    2. full-suspension

this would collapse five forums that are based on wheel size into two forums based on frame type. that is a more important distinction than tire size by a wide margin. no doubt, there would be plenty of steel discussion in the hardtails forum.
    That's the thing. Steel isn't specific to hardtails. But many people think it is, because steel FS bikes just don't get that kind of exposure. Maybe a place to discuss these things would bring in more conversation about these types of bikes.

I myself even have been looking at possible steel FS bikes. That's one of the reasons that got me thinking that it would be nice to have a steel bikes forum. And the fact that steel bikes has its own niche of enthusiasts.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Agreed. Discussions on geo, tires, psi, gearing, bar width etc all have little crossover between rigid and fs frames. How about a "Not So Squishy" category?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Well if they do create one may I suggest a name for it?

Steel Me
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    I was going to start a post a pic of your steel bikes, but didn't get around to do it.

I did search, and didn't find one.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post

Steel Me
    or Steel Riding after All These Years
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by GKelley View Post
    That's the thing. Steel isn't specific to hardtails. But many people think it is, because steel FS bikes just don't get that kind of exposure. Maybe a place to discuss these things would bring in more conversation about these types of bikes.

I myself even have been looking at possible steel FS bikes. That's one of the reasons that got me thinking that it would be nice to have a steel bikes forum. And the fact that steel bikes has its own niche of enthusiasts.
    Here's a long, low and slack six inch travel steel frame I had built 12 years ago. I would say the True Temper OX Platinum front end was more lively than aluminum with only a slight weight penalty. Too bad it died in a high speed head on with a moto.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    There's already too many subforums. It's much faster to scroll to see new threads/posts than it is to click on all these subforums. Just now when I came here to the 'General Discussion' subforum there were only 4 unread threads since sometime last night when I was here. It's not like spreading those threads out across more subforums make them easier to sort through. I have a steel bike on order but I don't want to have to click on another subforum.

mtbr member
    There's already a subforum here for steel bikes- Vintage, Retro, Classic - Mtbr.com
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    ...or "Save Ferrous"

Name:  images (1).jpg
Views: 91
Size:  8.0 KB
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There should be a separate sub-forum for every make and model of bike, with sub-sub-forums for each size, and sub-sub-sub forums each model year and option level. There should also be a dedicated subforum for each of those bikes based on any parts that have been swapped out from stock.

Better yet, every user should have their own sub-forum(s) dedicated strictly to their personal bike(s).
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    There should be a separate sub-forum for every make and model of bike, with sub-sub-forums for each size, and sub-sub-sub forums each model year and option level. There should also be a dedicated subforum for each of those bikes based on any parts that have been swapped out from stock.

Better yet, every user should have their own sub-forum(s) dedicated strictly to their personal bike(s).
    I knew some wiseass would show up and say this exact thing. So predictable....

Steel has a far reaching following, that's no secret. Unless you were born yesterday, or completely blind to bike culture, you would know this. It's not like I'm asking for a subforum for aluminum or something.... jeesh... You're trying way too hard to be witty, and it's not working for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Here's a long, low and slack six inch travel steel frame I had built 12 years ago. I would say the True Temper OX Platinum front end was more lively than aluminum with only a slight weight penalty. Too bad it died in a high speed head on with a moto.
    Nice work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    There's already too many subforums. It's much faster to scroll to see new threads/posts than it is to click on all these subforums. Just now when I came here to the 'General Discussion' subforum there were only 4 unread threads since sometime last night when I was here. It's not like spreading those threads out across more subforums make them easier to sort through. I have a steel bike on order but I don't want to have to click on another subforum.
    Nah, it's not that hard really.

With my idea, you log on, and if you decide you want to read or talk about steel bikes, you go to the steel subforum. If you don't want to talk about or read about steel bikes, you don't go to the steel subforum.

Easy right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post

Steel Me
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I think Chazpat might have won this one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I knew some wiseass would show up and say this exact thing. So predictable....

Steel has a far reaching following, that's no secret. Unless you were born yesterday, or completely blind to bike culture, you would know this. It's not like I'm asking for a subforum for aluminum or something.... jeesh... You're trying way too hard to be witty, and it's not working for you.
    You really neg-repped me for this? Well, tried to?
    I wasn't trying to being witty, I was making fun of you for real.

And thanks for the 'lesson' about steel.
    Wanna take a guess how many steel bikes I own, and how many of them are US-made custom jobs while you're at it?
    Newbs are funny.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    You really neg-repped me for this? Well, tried to?
    I wasn't trying to being witty, I was making fun of you for real.

And thanks for the 'lesson' about steel.
    Wanna take a guess how many steel bikes I own, and how many of them are US-made custom jobs while you're at it?
    Newbs are funny.
    Then you should welcome a steel subforum. But I guess since I somehow upset you in the past, you feel you should try and downplay my suggestion.

I only negged you because I knew it would bother you. lol So easy.

mtbr member
    Nah, it's not that hard really.
    That's not relevant to my post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    That's not relevant to my post.
    You were over-thinking it. That's all I was trying to say. If you don't want to "have to click on a subforum", you don't have to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Then you should welcome a steel subforum. But I guess since I somehow upset you in the past, you feel you should try and downplay my suggestion.

I only negged you because I knew it would bother you. lol So easy.
    FYI - you don't have the power to neg rep me.
    But at least everyone knows how you roll now.

Personally, I can't say I find navigating online forums all that challenging.
    My condolences to you who do.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    FYI - you don't have the power to neg rep me.
    But at least everyone knows how you roll now.

Personally, I can't say I find navigating online forums all that challenging.
    My condolences to you who do.
    That's cute. Let's try to stay on topic now.

mtbr member
    Too many redundant subforums already. I am all for condensing some. All of my bikes have been steel over the years, but an XC hardtail is just a hardtail. Steel is a great material but it's not what makes the bike what it is.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Steel is a great material but it's not what makes the bike what it is.
    I would have to kindly disagree with you on that one.

Steel is worthy of its own category simply for its unique looks and characteristics over other bikes. Also because it isn't as popular as carbon or aluminum, it can leave discussion about steel buried in subforums that don't exactly relate to it. With my suggestion, steel lovers or people inquiring about steel bikes have a place to go to talk directly about it.

I discovered a need for this based on my own use of this forum. You can find discussions based on steel framed bikes fragmented all over. Having them concentrated in one place would help organize the forums, and condense that information for forum users. It's a win/win for moderators and users.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Steel bikes are stupid.

Forum  Category Suggestion for Steel Bikes-wht.jpgForum  Category Suggestion for Steel Bikes-wr3.jpgForum  Category Suggestion for Steel Bikes-img_4255.jpgName:  DSC00035.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  32.7 KB
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wht.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	1219933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wr3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	1219934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4255.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	1219935Name:  DSC00035.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  32.7 KB
    Now that's what I like to see. Who needs to argue, when we can just show off our beautiful steel bikes?

mtbr member
    You were over-thinking it.
    It's not like I started a thread about or something.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I think Chazpat might have won this one.
    It’s a good one I’ll admit but the verdict is still out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    I want to see those pictures in the Passion forum.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

One ring to mash them all
    If only there was a way for members to select and organize threads particular to their interests into one listing.
    "Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired"
    — Jonathan Swift

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I want to see those pictures in the Passion forum.
    I have to spread them out across the Steel Short Travel FS Yellow Single Pivot SingleSpeed forum, the Steel Trailduro White Single Pivot Singlespeed forum, the Steel Rigid Red Singlespeed Fatbike forum, the Steel Single Pivot Grey Singlespeed Fatbike forum...oh shit...I forgot to sort them by wheel size too!!!

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    If only there was a way for members to select and organize threads particular to their interests into one listing.
    There's always more than one way to achieve a goal. Some are just more efficient than others. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here, but maybe that's why sub forums exist?

Maybe you're not a fan of steel, and that's fine, but I am, and so are others. Just like I'm not a fan of 26" bikes. But I'm not opposed to that sub forum existing. I just scroll past it, since I'm not interested in it. No big deal.
    Trying to navigate around people's safe-spaces is a fruitless endeavor.

mtbr member
    I have to spread them out across the Steel Short Travel FS Yellow Single Pivot SingleSpeed forum, the Steel Trailduro White Single Pivot Singlespeed forum, the Steel Rigid Red Singlespeed Fatbike forum, the Steel Single Pivot Grey Singlespeed Fatbike forum...oh shit...I forgot to sort them by wheel size too!!!

The entire point is to put all them steel bikes into one sub forum. So we don't have what is in your example happen. All of those would be great threads in a steel sub forum, and people would know exactly where to go. Thanks for highlighting the need for such a place.

Problem solving is fun.

Bikesexual

And!! your steel Gravel "fully" rigid bike.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

There's always more than one way to achieve a goal. Some are just more efficient than others. I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here, but maybe that's why sub forums exist?

Maybe you're not a fan of steel, and that's fine, but I am, and so are others. Just like I'm not a fan of 26" bikes. But I'm not opposed to that sub forum existing. I just scroll past it, since I'm not interested in it. No big deal.
    Efficiency, exactly. Just need to make sure all steel bike related threads and posts end up there.
    "Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired"
    — Jonathan Swift

Pro Crastinator
    we need bike color sub-forums too. seems like the next logical step...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    we need bike color sub-forums too. seems like the next logical step...
    How about a bad jokes sub forum?

mtbr member
    And!! your steel Gravel "fully" rigid bike.
    Another thread candidate for the "steel" sub forum. You guys are on a role!

Pro Crastinator
    ... but maybe that's why sub forums exist?
    my favorite stupidity here is the 29'er component sub-forum. other than rims,tubes and tires, the forum is completely useless. just morons jabbering about whatever parts are on their bikes. almost which of none are specific to 29'ers...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

But what if I put my 26" bikes in the Steel subforum, all the people only here to talk about 26" bikes would miss them!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Pro Crastinator
    at least a steel forum would give a place for all the walmart bikes to congregate too...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    my favorite stupidity here is the 29'er component sub-forum. other than rims,tubes and tires, the forum is completely useless. just morons jabbering about whatever parts are on their bikes. almost which of none are specific to 29'ers...
    I like that there's a Component subforum, a 29'er Component subforum, a Brake sub forum, a Wheels and Tires subforum, a Drivetrain subforum, a Suspension subforum, a whole bunch of specific Bike forums, but also a Bike and Frame subforum as well as ANOTHER Frame subforum...

It's well beyond the point of stupidity.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    But what if I put my 26" bikes in the Steel subforum, all the people only here to talk about 26" bikes would miss them!
    You're trying too hard. Not everybody is a natural. And that's okay.

Pro Crastinator
    ...It's well beyond the point of stupidity.
    as they say, you can't fix stupid..

Adding a steel-only subforum without a corresponding massive reorganization wouldn't add much, other than one more place to disperse steel-specific content.

The subscription feature is a better option, but requires members to do work (who really wants that?).

What we REALLY need is a "smart" subscription algorithm that creates thread recommendations based on a member's input of keywords, metadata, etc. Or maybe "virtual" subforums that do essentially the same thing, creating to links of existing content based on keywords specific to that virtual sub.

Problem solving is fun.
    — Jonathan Swift

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Adding a steel-only subforum without a corresponding massive reorganization wouldn't add much, other than one more place to disperse steel-specific content.

The subscription feature is a better option, but requires members to do work (who really wants that?).

What we REALLY need is a "smart" subscription algorithm that creates thread recommendations based on a member's input of keywords, metadata, etc. Or maybe "virtual" subforums that do essentially the same thing, creating to links of existing content based on keywords specific to that virtual sub.

Problem solving is fun.
    Thank you at least for purposing a solution, and not just saying it's stupid because you don't want it. Finally, some mature discussion.

One big problem is, if I do a search for "steel", I get all kinds of unrelated threads. The search function in this case just doesn't return relevant information.

I could subscribe to any number of buried steel bike related threads, but would others find them? What about new threads? Wouldn't it be advantageous to people who are interested in this subject to have a place to go?

While adjusting the search algorithms might help, I don't think it addresses the root of the problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    One big problem is, if I do a search for "steel", I get all kinds of unrelated threads. The search function in this case just doesn't return relevant information. .
    Maybe you should try refining your search by including terms relevant to the specific information you're hoping to find. Crazy thought...but I know, not everyone's a natural...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Maybe you should try refining your search by including terms relevant to the specific information you're hoping to find. Crazy thought...but I know, not everyone's a natural...
    You crack me up.

This would actually benefit you as well, since you yourself own steel frame bikes. I'm willing to bet that you also like to read about them, maybe even discuss them. Hell.. you might even like seeing new relevant information that pertains to steel bikes. These crazy thoughts of mine...

But them feelings, they make people do dumb things. I get that you don't like me, and I'm fine with that. Don't let the fact that I upset you in the past get in the way of a good idea. Man up and get over it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You crack me up.

This would actually benefit you as well, since you yourself own steel frame bikes. I'm willing to bet that you also like to read about them, maybe even discuss them. Hell.. you might even like seeing new relevant information that pertains to steel bikes. These crazy thoughts of mine...

But them feelings, they make people do dumb things. I get that you don't like me, and I'm fine with that. Don't let the fact that I upset you in the past get in the way of a good idea. Man up and get over it.
    Dude, I have no idea why in the world you think we have some past relationship that I am concerned with. We don't; I don't know you, GAF about you either way, or recall talking to you about anything in the past. You're making all sorts of really weird assumptions; ya might wanna get a grip.

All you know about me is that I think there are a stupid amount of subforums here, and adding more would just make things even stupider. Stick with that and don't try to tie me in with whatever emotional issues you're struggling with.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Thank you at least for purposing a solution, and not just saying it's stupid because you don't want it. Finally, some mature discussion.

One big problem is, if I do a search for "steel", I get all kinds of unrelated threads. The search function in this case just doesn't return relevant information.

I could subscribe to any number of buried steel bike related threads, but would others find them? What about new threads? Wouldn't it be advantageous to people who are interested in this subject to have a place to go?

While adjusting the search algorithms might help, I don't think it addresses the root of the problem.
    Yep, the MTBR search feature is another problem entirely. In building a subscription list, you'd be better off browsing subforums and subscribing to threads you like. The nice thing there is you get a customized list and don't need to scroll through chaff. The bad part is, of course, lots of work. But you're right, no one can see your subscribed list (I don't think?), so the effort doesn't benefit the community.

As far as steel-specific threads scattered about being pulled into one sub: IMO some work better than others. Examples: Steel AM bikes from the All Mountain sub; Nimble 9 threads from the Canfield manufacturer's sub; steel single speeds from the SS sub. You could make the argument for or against moving these, but at the end of the day it becomes convenient for some and inconvenient for others.

That's why I thought of a "virtual" subforum (or maybe a "consolidated cross-post" sub). To take it further, a mix of links to threads existing elsewhere and threads directly assigned to that sub.

tl;dr — I don't think there's one good solution and any useable solution will take some work.
    — Jonathan Swift

BTW:

1986 steel Benotto road bike
    1988 steel Specialized Stumpjumper
    2008 steel Redline Monocog
    2018 steel Canfield Nimble 9
    — Jonathan Swift

Pro Crastinator
    .. if I do a search for "steel", I get all kinds of unrelated threads....
    that's your problem for being so vague. try searching for any single word and your search will be useless...

Bikesexual
    OP, I like your idea but its not going to happen. There was an uproar when they did a Gravel forum.

The guys are right though, way too many forums to dig through.

You can always start a thread about what you want to discuss, but more forums may not happen, especially about a material. There is no Carbon or Alloy forum.

And slap is a good guy, and likes to mess around, so don't take things personal, we are all kind of sassy but its all done for fun.

Now, go post your bikes on my thread.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    that's your problem for being so vague. try searching for any single word and your search will be useless...
    Search "steel frame bikes", and you'll see how many irrelevant threads show up.

Pro Crastinator
    i searched "aluminum handlebar" too. same thing. probably need a sub-forum for them as well...

Cycologist

Nah, just post them all in Norcal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    And slap is a good guy, and likes to mess around, so don't take things personal, we are all kind of sassy but its all done for fun.
    A little jabbing is fine, but my bad joke threshold has been reached for the day.

It's natural for people to disagree, not all my ideas will appeal to everybody. But when it goes beyond disagreement, to trying to bring down a thread, that's not cool.

I'm trying to make a real suggestion here. One that will not only benefit me, but others as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I used the advanced search, hit the radio button to limit my search to titles only, typed in 'steel frames', got nothing but threads about steel frames.

Call me 'The Natural'.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A little jabbing is fine, but my bad joke threshold has been reached for the day.

It's natural for people to disagree, not all my ideas will appeal to everybody. But when it goes beyond disagreement, to trying to bring down a thread, that's not cool.
    Maybe you should try exercising a little self-control when it comes to throwing around the neg rep then huh? Specially when you admit to doing it to purposefully piss me off for some unfounded reason yeah?

Talk about 'not cool'...

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Maybe you should try exercising a little self-control when it comes to throwing around the neg rep then huh?
    Wait.... That's what this is about? A neg rep?... LOL...

Dude, go ahead and neg me. I don't live and die by my rep status. Do it, maybe you'll feel better.

Search is cool and all, but that's not at all what this thread is about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wait.... That's what this is about? A neg rep?... LOL...

Dude, go ahead and neg me. I don't live and die by my rep status. Do it, maybe you'll feel better.

It's a simple solution to your simple problem. But by all means, rearranging the forum to work around your inability to handle it is a much better idea.

And don't start poking at people then cry when you get poked back. That's probably one of the reasons why you seem to be used to not being liked.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Pro Crastinator
    it's about being lazy and incompetent...