mtbr member

Engineering Forum?

How about a forum dedicated to the engineering and science of our sport? Example topics could be:

basic statistics - correlations does not equal causation, how to use information from a sample size of 1, etc.
    rolling resistence - theory and testing (design of experiments, running the test, analyzing the results)
    aerodynamic drag - theory and testing (design of experiments, running the test, analyzing the results)
    drivelines - theory and performance
    frame materials - strength, fatigue, stiffness
    tire sealants - the true chemistry behind it all (there is already a GREAT thread on this, but it deserves a highlight)
    performance modeling - CdA, CrrW, etc
    bicycle related myths, misconceptions, etc.
    etc, etc, etc

It might be possible to have shortcuts in the engineering forum to old links in other threads, like the homebrew tire sealant one.

I think this topic deserves it's own thread so that the real engineering and science of biking can be discussed in one specific thread. Also, I think there are some talented people on this site and together we could collaborate to contribute to the sport we all enjoy.

Just my humble opinion.

mtbr member
    I will second the motion! I hope that this new forum is implemented.
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    great idea!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BDozer View Post
    How about a forum dedicated to the engineering and science of our sport? Example topics could be:

basic statistics - correlations does not equal causation, how to use information from a sample size of 1, etc.
    rolling resistence - theory and testing (design of experiments, running the test, analyzing the results)
    aerodynamic drag - theory and testing (design of experiments, running the test, analyzing the results)
    drivelines - theory and performance
    frame materials - strength, fatigue, stiffness
    tire sealants - the true chemistry behind it all (there is already a GREAT thread on this, but it deserves a highlight)
    performance modeling - CdA, CrrW, etc
    bicycle related myths, misconceptions, etc.
    etc, etc, etc

It might be possible to have shortcuts in the engineering forum to old links in other threads, like the homebrew tire sealant one.

I think this topic deserves it's own thread so that the real engineering and science of biking can be discussed in one specific thread. Also, I think there are some talented people on this site and together we could collaborate to contribute to the sport we all enjoy.

Just my humble opinion.

It all gets covered pretty extensively in the existing forums. Just sayin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    It all gets covered pretty extensively in the existing forums. Just sayin.
    True...it does get covered, but also buried at the same time. The really technical studies are buried among the fluff so finding them is a bit like looking for a needle in the haystack. For example a coast down Crr study might buried among "Yesterday I rode a loop faster than I did 6 months ago therefore the new tires are faster" threads. Both are interesting to read, but only 1 passes any scientific rigor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    In truth, the marketing $ that pays for this website has limited interest in people actually knowing science-based stuff about how their bikes work. They want to just be able to tell us what is "the best". "lighter! faster! stiffer! Carbons! big wheels! mediums wheels! is more betterer!!!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    This would be great. I am not an engineer but it would be so helpful to have comprehensive and where appropriate quantitative analyses of things like tire design and lubrication of stanchions and derailleurs.

Here is an example: Chain wear theory

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-004/000.html

Should we just start a discussion group elsewhere?