• 12-05-2012
    Hutch3637
    ADMIN/MODS dealing with SPAM
    Lord CHUM posted about you fixing the spam on the site. Okay, hopefully you truly are working on something. There's also hearsay going on that you have taken care of this problem.

    What some or all of us would like to know is what you are all going to do about the SPAM accounts that keep signing up?

    If you look on the most recent sign-ups to the site, more than half of them are from fake accounts.


    Located here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/members/list/...&sort=joindate

    Any input on this would be highly appreciated.
  • 12-06-2012
    gregg
    Well, good news, Hutch! We have a forum software upgrade coming in the very near future and there are much more robust spam fighting tools built in.

    Including an extra step in the verification code that has been proven to reduce the amount of new spammer accounts by a TON!

    Stay tuned.

    -g
  • 12-06-2012
    Trail Ninja
    Version 4? You'll be very happy with that!
    Some very cool add-ons only available for 4 too.
    :thumbsup:
  • 12-06-2012
    gregg
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Version 4? You'll be very happy with that!
    Some very cool add-ons only available for 4 too.
    :thumbsup:

    Trail Ninja (and anyone else out there with vBulletin 4.x experience)....

    What features in particular do you like, find value with?

    Any info/feedback is much appreciated.

    -gregg
  • 12-06-2012
    Trail Ninja
    Sorry Gregg. No experience with vB 4. Most of my experience is with open source software or stuff I write myself. I just did a little reading about vBulletin to see if there was anything that could be done to help MTBR. I was impressed with the built-in features of 4.* as compared to 3.8 that you're running now. When I went looking for anti-spam add-ons, all the good stuff was for version 4.

    This one looks like the "go to" add-on for spammers.
    [GlowHost] Spam-O-Matic - Spam Firewall stops forum spam - vBulletin.org Forum
  • 12-06-2012
    AZ
    Version 4 supports member blogs AFAIK.
  • 12-06-2012
    girlonbike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    If you look on the most recent sign-ups to the site, more than half of them are from fake accounts.


    Located here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/members/list/...&sort=joindate

    Any input on this would be highly appreciated.

    What? You don't think there are hundreds of people in Zimbabwe that's in sales with the bike setup of o2irjpaokf;alkpoivj?

    ;)
  • 12-06-2012
    Trail Ninja
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Version 4 supports member blogs AFAIK.

    I like that idea. A lot of the threads are blogs anyway. Bike builds, trail builds, long distance trips, people whining about their illnesses. :thumbsup:
  • 12-06-2012
    Trail Ninja
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    What? You don't think there are hundreds of people in Zimbabwe that's in sales with the bike setup of o2irjpaokf;alkpoivj?

    ;)

    No, we just don't buy that there's that many cross country riders.:D
  • 12-06-2012
    Hutch3637
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gregg View Post
    Well, good news, Hutch! We have a forum software upgrade coming in the very near future and there are much more robust spam fighting tools built in.

    Including an extra step in the verification code that has been proven to reduce the amount of new spammer accounts by a TON!

    Stay tuned.

    -g

    Good to see the upgrade with Version4.0 with Vbull. I can't really offer you any help except there was a topic of giving us some trustworthy members a little key to MOD powers only to be able to remove spam. With the new software upgrade, verification code, and this other idea which I don't know if that is something the powers at be would be something to consider also but thank you for getting back to us about this and the work you ADMIN/Mods do about the spam. If you guys are having trouble with it maybe post something about it in forums so more can see it, to help you, help us. :)

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    What? You don't think there are hundreds of people in Zimbabwe that's in sales with the bike setup of o2irjpaokf;alkpoivj?

    ;)

    Oh, a comedian; ;) I like that. :thumbsup:

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Version 4 supports member blogs AFAIK.

    Dude, have you read my blog??? It's called "pulled the trigger". :lol:
  • 12-07-2012
    morkys
    I hope something is done about the spam because mtbr is under attack. More and more threads are getting posts with complete crap in them.
  • 12-07-2012
    OldManBike
    It's going to start driving users away.
  • 12-07-2012
    morkys
    Yeah. It's lame. Stupid spammers. It's not even logical. Just a bunch of garbled nonesense. The attack continues. GO AWAY SPAMMER SPAM BOTS!
  • 12-10-2012
    TobyGadd
    Trust me, Hutch: Nobody hates Spam more than moderators. Oftentimes, the first thing that I do when I log into my computer in the morning is kill Spam on MTBR. Hopefully the new software will make my job easier. But I'll do my best to keep nuking whatever makes it though!
  • 12-10-2012
    Hutch3637
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Trust me, Hutch: Nobody hates Spam more than moderators. Oftentimes, the first thing that I do when I log into my computer in the morning is kill Spam on MTBR. Hopefully the new software will make my job easier. But I'll do my best to keep nuking whatever makes it though!

    Thank you again for the removing the spam on here, besides who wants a hard job? ;)
  • 12-10-2012
    TobyGadd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Thank you again for the removing the spam on here, besides who wants a hard job? ;)

    And thanks to those members who flag it for us. Painting a bulls-eye on it sure helps! :)
  • 12-10-2012
    highdelll
    Anyone know where I can get some uggs?
  • 12-10-2012
    TobyGadd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Anyone know where I can get some uggs?

    Sure, here you go:
    ugg
    ugg
    ugg
    ugg

    Let me know if you need more!
  • 12-10-2012
    rogerfromco
    We use Version 4.2 on another forum I am on and it can be set up where a "new member's" first post requires approval of a moderator before it is seen by the board. The only downside is that an Admin then has to approve the account or subsequent posts are also blocked until approved by a mod. Our Admin granted several Mods a higher level of authority so they could approve new members.
  • 12-10-2012
    nvphatty
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    And thanks to those members who flag it for us. Painting a bulls-eye on it sure helps! :)

    Most appreciative of the efforts to keep spam away but it is for the most part a thankless occupation.
  • 12-10-2012
    OscarW
    A huge thanks to all the Mods for their hard work in keeping the spam scum at bay. It has to be a PITA to deal with this on a daily basis..
  • 12-10-2012
    highdelll
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Sure, here you go:
    ugg
    ugg
    ugg
    ugg

    Let me know if you need more!

    yeah, not my color ;)
  • 12-10-2012
    net wurker
    Go Mods!
  • 12-10-2012
    AZ
    I still think the admin should give me ban hammer powers. :devil:
  • 12-11-2012
    highdelll
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I still think the admin should give me ban hammer powers. :devil:

    Shlt, now it's gone to his head :skep: