mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Zion or Redline 29?

Hi,

I'm looking at building a singlespeed 29 bike. I can get both frames for about the same money. The measurements on both are close. Is there any real benefit of one over the other?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I vote Zion why??? because I have one, don't know anything about the Redline but after about six months on this thing I have not been able to get on any of my other bikes

Zion Finished 001_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had both and both were great. The Zion has an EBB, the Redline has horizontal dropouts so your chain tensioning will be different. One thing I didn't like about the Zion is that despite the EBB I still needed to use a half link to get usable chain tension for the gearing I wanted to use (32 x 22).

Are you going to use a suspension fork? The Zion has zero downtube clearance. The Redline has no problems.

I loved the Redline geometry but the frame rode kinda harsh. The Zion geometry was good but didn't feel as magical as the Redline. The Zion has a more compliant ride.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 12snap
    I've had both and both were great. The Zion has an EBB, the Redline has horizontal dropouts so your chain tensioning will be different. One thing I didn't like about the Zion is that despite the EBB I still needed to use a half link to get usable chain tension for the gearing I wanted to use (32 x 22).

Are you going to use a suspension fork? The Zion has zero downtube clearance. The Redline has no problems.

I loved the Redline geometry but the frame rode kinda harsh. The Zion geometry was good but didn't feel as magical as the Redline. The Zion has a more compliant ride.

Hope that helps.
    I would go rigid. That white Zion is woodie material!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12snap

Hope that helps.
    What chain are you using? I have a SRAM PC 951, 9 speed chain and can run all gears from 18 to 22 with no problems, and no half links.

As for the OP. Love my Zion. A friend of mine has a Redline, great stock bike for a great price, he paid $350. My Zion in the end cost way more. So, I guess it depends on what you want. A bike you can walk out of the shop and ride, or one you can build up the way you want. If you're considering buying a frame only, buy the Zion. I'm biased though.

Another thought would be the Raleigh XXIX. For the price you couldn't come close to putting this bike together yourself. When I was looking for a 29er this was my first choice. My 2 cents.

004.JPG
    006.JPG

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AtotheZ
    I vote Zion why??? because I have one, don't know anything about the Redline but after about six months on this thing I have not been able to get on any of my other bikes

Zion Finished 001_1.jpg
    Atothe Z., is the on one carbon fork available with black drop outs and crown or did you color it yourself. If available, where did you get them?

Disabled Vet
    sadly,i don't have a 29er yet (lets jus say it's been a bad last 12 months financially),and i would LOVE to have one of the brown m'cog 29ers (anybody got one they wanna trade for nitro rc stuff?).
    but i'm biased thanx to my 26er monocog.
    that said,you could buy a complete monocog 29er for 500 or less new,i doubt you could build the zion for that price w/ all new parts,and then there's the fork thing...
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice looking Zion...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the complments on the Zion (but just wait till my custom wheels come in, hope hubs and blunt rims (YEEEAAAAHHH)) Anyways in response to this:

"Atothe Z., is the on one carbon fork available with black drop outs and crown or did you color it yourself. If available, where did you get them?"That is a Steel fork and it came in that color, I had the brake bosses chopped off and then repainted the area where they were before, I got the fork at Price Point http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/168...-29er-Fork.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'd go Redline because I like horizontal dropouts and I dislike EBBs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a Redline and really like it, the geometry seems to be spot on for me. But if I was looking at building from a frame and fork up I would buy the Zion (I think they have them on sale right now too).

The EBB looks trick, although you might prefer horizontal dropouts. The frame is a smidge lighter and the fork isn't quite the boat anchor that the MC fork is. I think the lines are cleaner on the Zion and the paint looks better, but those are purely personal.

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by trail_junkie
    What chain are you using? I have a SRAM PC 951, 9 speed chain and can run all gears from 18 to 22 with no problems, and no half links.

As for the OP. Love my Zion. A friend of mine has a Redline, great stock bike for a great price, he paid $350. My Zion in the end cost way more. So, I guess it depends on what you want. A bike you can walk out of the shop and ride, or one you can build up the way you want. If you're considering buying a frame only, buy the Zion. I'm biased though.

Another thought would be the Raleigh XXIX. For the price you couldn't come close to putting this bike together yourself. When I was looking for a 29er this was my first choice. My 2 cents.

004.JPG
    006.JPG
    I've ridin' both bikes in this picture and with out a doubt can say that the Zion comes very close to my 4K Blingle speed Voodoo. It hovers over tech stuff and rails corners. IMHO the redline is not in the ballpark. Both could be built to work but I'm going with the best deal on the market for a starter build, the Zion.

aka baycat
    Anyone have experience with Zion clearance running a Fox F29 or Maverick hitting down tube?