mtbr member
    May 2012

New question here. Zion 737 EBB Ecentric Bottom Bracket Compatability

Hi - I just bought a Zion 737 EBB from the classifieds and I need an EBB for it. The shell measures approx 14.2 mm I.D. I was looking at the niner bio-eccentric, but am not sure that will work. I'd rather not fork out all the money for a Bushnell that's heavier. Are there any other good options? It has a regular set screw setup with two set screws at the bottom of the BB shell.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    2 thoughts...1. My 2012 XXIX belt drive's EBB is for pinch bolts however, my son-in-law's XXIX a 2010 I believe, was first year for pinch bolts I THINK...think the 2009,2008, on back were set screws so maybe the Raleigh EBB carrier might work, but shouldn't matter really if its set screw or pinch bolt. Another you could try is the 2011, Specialized EBB carrier they used on the single speed frame they sold only as a frameset because they stopped selling the Rockhopper Expert SS and just sold frames that year. Maybe Spot or Gary Fisher too. Both used EBB's on production bikes. Good luck in your search.

*edit* (Homer Simpson sound) DOH!!! Why not try to contact customer support at Zion and get the EBB as a replacement part with the stock issue EBB. Sorry, didnt think of that till 3 minutes later...sorry.

Here's a link

Specialized Bicycle Components

Here's mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zion 737 EBB Ecentric Bottom Bracket Compatability-resized.jpg  

Last edited by God's Favorite Bike; 02-28-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

Quote Originally Posted by vincavinz View Post
    Hi - I just bought a Zion 737 EBB from the classifieds and I need an EBB for it. The shell measures approx 14.2 mm I.D.
    You might want to measure that shell again. 14.2mm is like a spindle on a tricycle.

Niner won't work. Their EBB size is ~55mm ID, I believe. Larger than what most of others measure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Haha. that's a typo - it's 54.2mm

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by God's Favorite Bike View Post
    *edit* (Homer Simpson sound) DOH!!! Why not try to contact customer support at Zion and get the EBB as a replacement part with the stock issue EBB. Sorry, didnt think of that till 3 minutes later...sorry.
    That's what I had thought originally, but Zion is no longer in business. Should I try to contact Jenson?

FWIW, Singular's EBB's (whatever they use) are also 54.2mm. They also use a set-screw design. You might want to contact them.

Bushnell won't work without a shim, either. Their max recommended ID is 54.0mm.

EDIT: I'm not sure how accurate your measurment is, but if it turns out to be 54.5, Soul Cycles is another option.

EBB Soul Cycles
    Last edited by stremf; 02-28-2013 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    That's what I had thought originally, but Zion is no longer in business. Should I try to contact Jenson?
    Sure, give it a try. They might have some, could get some, or at least point you in the right direction.
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Alright, I tried a 54.5 EBB - turns out it is identical to my Soul cycles EEB - at the LBS and it was too tight. I'm waiting on a reply from Jenson. Will post if I find a solution! With digital calipers, it measures 54.25 with some minor variances due to out of roundness, I think.

mtbr member
    54mm is a common tandem size. I use a 54mm ebb on my frame.

Bottom Brackets from Tandems East
    Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles

Category Winner
    I swapped the one on my Zion with a Phil Wood... dropping some weight in the process.

Phil Wood & Co.

I sold my Zion years ago, but I hung on to the black PW EBB for some reason....

But yeah, you can get that standard size cheaper all over the place.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Jenson replied and suggested the Phil Wood too. I have a 54.5 EBB and it fits in very snug and only goes part way. Could the shell be deformed? Should I sand it down?

Category Winner
    Jenson replied and suggested the Phil Wood too. I have a 54.5 EBB and it fits in very snug and only goes part way. Could the shell be deformed? Should I sand it down?
    I've had three steel, one ti, and one aluminum set screw EBB. They all deformed a little, some more than others. I had to bang the insert out of the ti bike with a mallet and block of wood. There's a reason most builders/companies have stepped away from the design.

Don't know why I've held on to the PW. I'll never have a set screw again.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    I've had three steel, one ti, and one aluminum set screw EBB. They all deformed a little, some more than others. I had to bang the insert out of the ti bike with a mallet and block of wood. There's a reason most builders/companies have stepped away from the design.

Don't know why I've held on to the PW. I'll never have a set screw again.
    Please relay that message to Singular.

I want a SS 29er....just dont know which one

mtbr member
    May 2012
    UPDATE: I cleaned the shell and the EBB real good with alcohol and sanded down some rough edges from the used EBB and it fits in pretty nice. It is a standard 54.5 EBB - just like the Easton tandem ones. Will ride this weekend to test for creaking