Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Your SS racing experience

I am considering doing a 23 mile race called Mudslinger on Sunday in the rain. I don't really want to use my fancy geared plastic bike in the rain. The race has 5k of climbing. I know I am going to walk a lot on the climbs. Anybody have experience with SS racing and climbing? Your experiences?

Thx,

Jay

mtbr member
    If you are climbing because of the mud, you'd probably be doing it on either bike.

Gotta pay to play
    5,000 feet of climbing over 23 miles should be very easy if you are in SS shape. Are you in SS shape?

In dry conditions any climb steeper/longer than 1,000 feet in a mile or less I'd be worried about (you might be in better shape than me though), but just walk up it if you have to.

For muddy conditions I'd probably fear 700 feet of climbing in less than a mile.

Just found the course map:

That first hill is going to be challenging but everything else looks pretty easy. I dunno the strategy for the race but you can probably get a lot of lead on the pack if you can hammer up that first hill fast.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Good tips. My deal is I just can't pedal anymore on steeper hills and have to get off and walk It is going to be a muddy race with hills and I am going to do it for fitness and fun. The race is 2 hours away but it should be fun. Heck, I have done 100 miles in a race so 23 should not do me in

The race is actually 3,500 feet of climbing in 23 miles. My bad.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 04-05-2013 at 09:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think you should do it on the single speed. The fact that it is muddy should cause problems for those running gears as their drivetrain packs up. You could always go to a bigger cog in the back if you are worried about having to walk. Its awesome not having to worry about gears when racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think you should do it on a fixie... backwards.

mtbr member
    Last summer I did a 60 km race with 1500 m of combined climbs (that's roughly 37 miles and 5000 feet) on a frigid singlespeed. Up until the final climb I was in the top 10 in overall category against guys with gears and suspension, finished 14th and was the fastest in SS category.

My experience is that you don't get a good overall time if you worry about flats and downhills so much that you have a too tall gear in the climbs. A good time consists more of avoiding going slow than going fast for a short moment. I used 34/20 with 175 mm cranks and 622x60 (2.35 29er) tires. That way I could keep a decent speed almost all the time. Pushing the bike is what really costs you time, not the fact that you can't reach quite the same top speed as on a geared bike.

Gotta pay to play
    Jaybo- how did the race go?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My main concern would be the health of the trail. Rain, lots of wheels could mean damaging the trails.