I have red hair

You know it's been a good ride when...

This isn't a Jeff Foxworthy ripoff thread, but I thought we could share what makes us SS'ers smile before, during and after a ride. For Example:

You know it's been a good ride when...

- You can watch the dirt swirl down the shower drain off your legs

- Your buddy's FS geared bike breaks down

So go ahead and let 'er rip!
    "I don't believe in brakes, all they do is slow you down"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I was in a race yesterday and was picking off a bunch of geared FS guys, it was really steep descent and then passed a few more guys who shifted into granny gear as soon as we started climbing but my favorite................passing guys with chain suck, man does that suck!!
    Never had it.......Never will!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    When you think 20 mins have passed when in reality 5 hours have.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It's been a good ride on the ss when you pass 8 geared guys on a long somewhat technical (missing link trail) trail on a hard tail with one gear. Then you pass four more on The Western States Trail down hill. I always pass tons of riders on the ups but it is priceless to pass the trail rigs on my 80mm of travel on the front while descending.

Did 55 miles ( House,Tahoe Donner, Hole In The Ground, Mt. Judah, House) today on the ss with 7,000 feet of climbing and passed many more geared riders who didn't want me to pass, maybe it's the fact that I wear spandex a lot while riding. Sometimes when I am just chilin at home I'll throw some on just cuz it makes me feel fast while sitting on the couch.

It's been a great ride on the ss when you can scare the **** out of unsuspecting trail users because your bike is in super stealth mode. I got one lady to jump about a foot vertically and one younger guy to jump about 2 feet horizontally today. The hoot is I was moving about 2 miles per hour when they finally saw me so there was no need for them to jump, just nerves I guess. Sometimes I use the bell but I have to admit I like being super sneaky.

This all was just in two days of riding this weekend, life is good.

skillz to pay billz
    when you see plenty of evidence the open space police were around, but since you took the evening dry out option no hassle.
    Last edited by nOOby; 07-27-2009 at 10:12 AM.

when you have to sit down in your post-ride shower.

but ss-related....?
    you know it's a good ride when you pass a lycraed-out roadie going uphill in a 34/17. makes me smile every time i think about it. i wonder if that poor guy went home and sold his bike on craigslist that afternoon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When it ends muddy and bloody but not because of it.

I have red hair
    When at the beginning of the ride, your buddies offer to put a fund together to buy you some gears, but after the ride, they want to take your bike away from you to slow you down
    "I don't believe in brakes, all they do is slow you down"