mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Yess ETR-V users?

I'm stuck. I have two tensioners. One fixed w/ roller, the other is a cheap spring one that came with my conversion kit.

I like the fixed one cause it typically stays put, however a few times when an obstacle hit the bike and to be more precise, hit the bottom of the chain, forcing it up, it would knock the fixed tensioner out of tension and I'd have holy slack on my hands. Big pain, but nonetheless, I liked it otherwise.

I liked the spring one because, well, it's a spring tensioner. Perfect tension at all times and no variation unless the spring ends up dying. Thing is, the spring tensioner I have is der hanger mounted only, which makes me nervous, plus it has a tendency to skip on me yet my chainline is perfectly straight.

Sooooooo that lead me to consider a Rollenlager. But the tensioner I have, despite it being a cheap Rollenlager, I can't imagine it'd be significantly different than the 50 dollar Rollenlager.

Has anybody used this ETR-V? From what I can tell it combines the two things I like about each tensioner while still retaining the strengthened hanger, a spring, and nice chain wrap. It's pricey, but perhaps it's worth it considering the bad luck I've had with the tensioners I've tried so far.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes I have used it... you won't regret spending the $$. It is far superior to other tensioners.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Good to know. Thanks for the input. Any others?

Is 70 dollars the going rate for this gizmo or can I get it cheaper elsewhere? I couldn't help but to notice the severe difference in one of the fixed tensioners (I think it was a DMR) from jensonusa to pricepoint. It was like 22 to 46 or something. Seeing that made me think more about shopping around for a cheaper price, if possible.

One thing I'm questioning about is the amount of tension the spring applies. Is it pretty beefy?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The going rate is about $70. I don't think you're going to find it much cheaper than that. Spring tension will not be a problem. Yess also has excellent customer service. I called to buy some extra parts as backup and they hooked me up with enough parts to build another tensioner for the cost of shipping. I did not have a problem with my tensioner, I just wanted extra parts in case they were not available in the future.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice! Thanks for the input. I'll definitely be ordering this gizmo.

Ya know, it's a whole lot easier to justify a 70 dollar bike part when you get a letter from your previous employer stating that:

Dear Roasted, our records indicate you did not cash a bonus check of 76 dollars in January of 2007. If you need a re-print, please indicate as such below and we will send you an updated check for this time period.

WOOOOOOOOOOO!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So, couple thoughts.

Amazing tensioner. Easily the best one I've tried. However, the roller was hard plastic and noisy, not rubbery like my other tensioner with a roller. SO, I decided to put a small amount of Gorilla Tape on the roll to kind of dampen the sound. Did it work? Yep. However, a sneeze combined with unstable hands resulted in me dropping a large wrench on my perfectly organized array of ETR-V parts. I ended up guessing on how to put it back together, and I'm almost positive I got it right, but I was just curious... could an ETR-V owner here provide me with their own pictures of their disassembled ETR-V with the parts in order of how they go back together? Or at least reference me to a picture which has what I'm looking for? I'm pretty sure I got it back right, but since it's a new part and I'm leaving for South Carolina on friday I was hoping to make sure I got it -right-.

Note - I did look on the Yess site, and I noticed on the "technology" page there is an ETR-V laid out in the manner I'm looking for, however it seems to be a different year than mine, or something, because mine is a bit different than the one in the picture.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    bbike - how did you get a hold of Yess? I wanted to give them a call and grab an extra spring or two but I can't find a number anywhere on their web site, and they haven't responded to my emails.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    bbike - how did you get a hold of Yess? I wanted to give them a call and grab an extra spring or two but I can't find a number anywhere on their web site, and they haven't responded to my emails.
    I think that I initially emailed them and got the phone number from the reply. I cant seem to find the phone number. The gentleman that I was in contact with was Renny.

I had inquired about springs at one point and he told me that they were common springs used with v-brakes (or some type of brakes) and were common at bike shops. He said to just pick some up at a LBS.

organically fed
    It kinda sounds like they don't really care about you after the sale is made. No?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    It kinda sounds like they don't really care about you after the sale is made. No?
    That's the weird part. I always heard they had great customer service.

I went to the LBS today with the Cantilever spring (and the entire tensioner) and the dude came out with a box of springs and we searched through them until we found one to fit. I took it home (hey, they gave it to me free) but when I got home I realized an important thing - the spring was the opposite of the one the Yess tensioner came with. In short, it would hold tension, but not nearly as much as the spring it came with.

It just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't be able to sell you a few quick parts. Those punks better get back to me on email. After all - I'm trying to BUY stuff from them.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had excellent customer service from them. It has been about a year since my last contact with them. I called several times and had good conversations with Renny. Just after I had purchased my tensioner, I called to order some extra parts just to have on hand and Renny sent me a newly designed tensioner that wasn't out yet to try. The new tensioner did not work with my particular derailleur hanger so I took some pictures and we discussed my options. I decided just to go with some extra parts for my original tensioner and he sent me a whole new (original design) tensioner. Needless to say I was very pleased. He was a little tough to get a hold of some times but I think that it may be a one man show (or at least a very small company) with other obligations. Unless something has changed, he will get back to you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I can't imagine it's a one man show ordeal, seeing as though they build other things rather than just a chain tensioner. I wouldn't be surprised if they were swamped, though. We've had some nice weather on the east coast! I'm sure their items are flying off the shelf.

I'm going on vacation for a week beginning tomorrow, so maybe by the time I get home he'll have gotten back to me. I'd just really like to grab a few extra springs. The rest of the tensioner is really robust and I'm sure it'll last me years after years, but springs can wear out no matter how well built they are, so I'd like to grab a few for the sake of having them on hand.