mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Yep...he's addicted now

I let my co-worker borrow my SS roadie over the weekend, and he went crazy with it, he said he rode 7+ hours *alone* on Sat, got into an impromptu race with another rider (on a gearie) and totally stomped the other rider

he's already referring to the bike as "his" bike, so i figured i'd try, i was going to wait a couple of weeks, but you know the saying, "strike while the iron is hot"

y'know, if you were interested, i could sell you the bike for what i put into it in parts

"yeah, how much"

$80 (bundling in a *slight* profit margin of a couple bucks )

"sounds fair, once i get some money, i'll pay you for it"

okay, just so you know, it does need a couple things done to it, it needs the headtube repacked, and perhaps the bottom bracket, also needs a set of reflectors for night riding and general visibility, i can sell it to you as-is, and you can take it to the LBS to have the bearings repacked, or i can repack the bearings and the price will go up a bit...

you know, the LBS up the street *is* selling the Raleigh M20 entry-level mountain bike for $199, just for comparison, $80 for an old, classic singlespeed roadie, or $200 for a brand-new mountain bike, you could always convert it to a singlespeed anyway....

"okay, but i really like this bike"

okay, just so you know exactly where i'm coming from, you can spend $80 on a bike that still needs a few tweaks, or $200 for a brand new bike fully kitted out and ready to ride....

"i know, but i really like your bike"

okay, just pay me whenever you get the spare cash and it's yours

...this is the guy i had to practically twist his arm to try the bike, and after one ride on it in the middle of the week, he was hooked, badly....
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... mack you conversion factor

Quote Originally Posted by MacTech
    I let my co-worker borrow my SS roadie over the weekend, and he went crazy with it, he said he rode 7+ hours *alone* on Sat, got into an impromptu race with another rider (on a gearie) and totally stomped the other rider

he's already referring to the bike as "his" bike, so i figured i'd try, i was going to wait a couple of weeks, but you know the saying, "strike while the iron is hot"

y'know, if you were interested, i could sell you the bike for what i put into it in parts

"yeah, how much"

$80 (bundling in a *slight* profit margin of a couple bucks )

"sounds fair, once i get some money, i'll pay you for it"

okay, just so you know, it does need a couple things done to it, it needs the headtube repacked, and perhaps the bottom bracket, also needs a set of reflectors for night riding and general visibility, i can sell it to you as-is, and you can take it to the LBS to have the bearings repacked, or i can repack the bearings and the price will go up a bit...

you know, the LBS up the street *is* selling the Raleigh M20 entry-level mountain bike for $199, just for comparison, $80 for an old, classic singlespeed roadie, or $200 for a brand-new mountain bike, you could always convert it to a singlespeed anyway....

"okay, but i really like this bike"

okay, just so you know exactly where i'm coming from, you can spend $80 on a bike that still needs a few tweaks, or $200 for a brand new bike fully kitted out and ready to ride....

"i know, but i really like your bike"

okay, just pay me whenever you get the spare cash and it's yours

...this is the guy i had to practically twist his arm to try the bike, and after one ride on it in the middle of the week, he was hooked, badly....
    Mac I've been reading your posts lately, that's some pretty cool news. Didn't you just get back to biking and single speeding in particular not too long ago?
    Maybe you need to find yourself another garage sale?

Des(s)ert Rat
    Good work! Keep up with the assimilations!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    Mac I've been reading your posts lately, that's some pretty cool news. Didn't you just get back to biking and single speeding in particular not too long ago?
    Maybe you need to find yourself another garage sale?
    Ayuh, started *seriously* riding about 3 weeks to a month ago, that first week, i couldn't ride a mile without bonking hard, now i'm up to 3-3.5ish

heck, tonight i pulled out of the driveway on the Fila (Pseudo-SS) and decided to do a mash up the hill, i got further on the Fila than i did on the Trek (halfway on the Trek, 3/4 of the way on the Fila), i'd imagine a big reason was due to the Fila's rigid front fork, there was no squishy suspension fork to eat up my energy, all my energy went to driving the rear wheel not squidging down a front fork....

frell, i'm becoming a Luddite here, i dislike aluminum framed bikes, hate suspension forks....

[Old Man Voice] Danged newfangled tech-nol-oh-gee, a waste of effort, back in my day we rode steel bikes with rigid forks that transferred every jolt up to ar arms, and that's the way we likes it! (walks away muttering evil nothings about useless suspension forks) [/OMV]

only "problem" is if the co-worker decides to buy the Raleigh, i'll need to find another bike to turn into a SS....

problem is, i've been looking at the Surly 1x1 frame and contemplating moving some componentry from the Trek onto it, and building up a SS from scratch, problem is, it's more than i want to spend right now.....

oh well, i promised myself a new bike of some sort once i get myself back into shape, the question is, what will it be, a Surly 1x1 MTB build, or *gasp* say it *ain't* so, a SS roadie, as i've wanted to add a roadie to my stable for a while (don't worry though, the MTB's outnumber it
    Last edited by MacTech; 06-27-2005 at 06:50 PM.
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!