Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

XTR Spiderless Chain rings...Any Interest? (M950)

I've been using Spot Brand Spiderless rings for years and finally wore them out. Somehow I got lucky and got one from HomeBrew about 2 years ago.

It's worn out now and I can't find a new ring any where so I'm having some made.

I run a 35T and so that's what I'm having made but I also plan on having a run of 32T and 34T.

They will be very simple. Aluminum, Black, Good.

Checking to see what the interest will be before having a bunch made.

Thanks.

one chain loop
    Let me know how much. I'd be interested in 32t.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sounds good. I'm meeting with the Fabricator either tomorrow or Thursday. I'll have more of an idea of the pricing. It shouldn't be too bad. I'm not trying to make money I just NEED a chainring and I figure if I'm going to go through this hassle I might as well stoke a few more people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Cool, I'm in - any or all of 32/33/34t. Let me know if you need help with anything, I sketched one up a while ago, but couldn't find a local fabricator that would do it in a higher quality (7075) aluminum.

mtbr member
    May 2013

ChainRing

Quote Originally Posted by cdn-dave View Post
    Cool, I'm in - any or all of 32/33/34t. Let me know if you need help with anything, I sketched one up a while ago, but couldn't find a local fabricator that would do it in a higher quality (7075) aluminum.
    Hey, Are you the David that sent me the file? If so, the fabricator said it was helpful. I should be meeting with them today. I'll keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yep, didn't realize that was you! Sweet, looking forward to how everything works out for ya!

cheers,
    dave

ride more
    Mar 2007

Re: XTR Spiderless Chain rings...Any Interest? (M950)

I'd be interested in a 28 and or 30...

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    I'd be interested in 32. What design are you thinking about using?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'd take a 32t
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Um, yeah, very interested! 31t or 32t for me. Colored or not. I'm not picky at this point...

mtbr member
    May 2013

Design

Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pharm View Post
    I'd be interested in 32. What design are you thinking about using?
    As far as design goes, All I want it to do is mate up nice and snug to my crank Arm spline. There is a guy by the name of David who sent me a file of a chainring that he worked on. I submitted this to my fabricator. I also gave them my Old Spot Brand ChainRings and they have my worn out HomeBrew Ring.

The Teeth will hopefully be shaped much like the Chris King Cogs and as far as the Cut Outs along the face, well, Whatever is cheap and easy. Definatley no Hearts or goofy shapes. My Fabricator does have an Anodizer that he uses but I think I will only go that route if the original metal color just looks awful. It's going to cost me enough as it is.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If it works out looks like I'll have 32T and 34T available. If for some reason it's totally easy to make a 28T or 30T off of the same program I'll let you know.

ride more
    Mar 2007

Re: XTR Spiderless Chain rings...Any Interest? (M950)

I could live with a 30...

one chain loop
    yeah, hopefully you can do as low as 30t
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by burmapeak View Post
    There is a guy by the name of David who sent me a file of a chainring that he worked on.
    Well you're definitely further ahead than I ever got:

spiderless chainring - open source

Here's the last drawing I made to give the rest an idea:
    XTR Spiderless Chain rings...Any Interest?  (M950)-kettenblatt-2.jpg

I'm in for sure!

"Casual Rider"
    Nice! I have a barely used spot 34t if anyone is interested. Looking for trade... need SS specific 104bcd rings 33-38 pm me if interested.
    Rule #5 almost always applies!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    hi -- Id probably go for a 32 depending on price and if you can send to France? Also how about making it so that you can run it as a spider when the teeth wear out -- if using 5-arm design like the pic above, put in 5 holes for 94mm BCD (or maybe 74mm BCD). Or if 4-arm type design, then 104mm BCD?
    Bicycle Chainrings (Chainwheels) from Harris Cyclery
    Just an idea,
    pat

mtbr member
    May 2013

XTR ChainRing Update June 26th

Hi Guys.

Got a quote yesterday via email from the company that I approached to make the Chainrings.

Pretty much double of what I was expecting.

Here's a sample of the estimate:

7075 SPROCKET 5 @ $129.93 = $649.65
    7075 SPROCKET 10 @ $87.93 = $879.30
    7075 SPROCKET 15 @ $73.93 = $1,108.95
    7075 SPROCKET 20 @ $66.93 = $1,338.60
    7075 SPROCKET 25 @ $62.73 = $1,568.25
    7075 SPROCKET 30 @ $59.93 = $1,797.90
    PARTS ARE RAW ALUMINUM NO ANODIZE $0.00

So it looks like they want me to order a minimum of 5. I am going to meet with them today to see if the Min. 5 all need to be the same Tooth size. I'm also going to see what I can do to drop that $129.93 down to like $40.

Sure wish this was easier. All I want is a new Chainring.
    Last edited by burmapeak; 06-26-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Copy and Paste Mistakes

mtbr member
    If it was easy Boone and Homebrew would still be doing it!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yeah. I read Homebrews FaceBook site lastnight and I feel really bad for the guy. Sounds like he's been having some health issues and that's terrible. The guy makes a REALLY Great product. It's amazing just how SLAMMED he is with orders. The pictures of his "Work Load" on the FB site were unreal. As far as Boone goes. I called him and spoke to him about getting a Chainring for the XTR Crank and his response was very vague. Almost as if he didn't quite know what I was talking about. Infact he re-directed me to a different supplier (forgot the name) who also did not produce a product for the M950. On a lighter note, I sent an email to Experimental Prototype lastnight and asked Mattias for Availability of a Chainring so we'll see what happens.
    Best thing would be if HomeBrew gets Healthy and finds a way to get his business up and running. His products are so nice. Oh, I guess Mafi also tried it but it didn't pan out: MaFi Components Singlespeed Chainrings by MaFi Components ? Kickstarter

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Is that machined i.e. thick in the centre thinner at the teeth, or just laser/water cut?

I had one ordered from Mattias too, but it apparently got lost in the mail and he refunded me. Considering the amount I was willing to pay for a 2mm thick cut ti ring, yours isn't too far off, especially since it sounds like your fabricator put some work into the design.

I totally missed the boat on the that Kickstarter campaign - definitely would've supported that project.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just sent you an email.

How much was a Ti chainring from Mattias?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by burmapeak View Post
    How much was a Ti chainring from Mattias?
    shimano spiderless, 34t, ti: 85 plus shipping

Last I heard he said he wasn't making any more, due to difficulties with the supplier that does his cutting... If you can convince him, ask him to make an extra for me too

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sounds good. That's about $110 U.S. right? I'd totally pay that for a Ti ring.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear from him. Maybe if he gets enough request he'll run a small batch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The best quote I got was 154.70 for two chainrings just laser cut out of a 1.8m x 1.0m sheet of 2.5mm 7075.

I'd be able to keep the leftover material, so I'm sure to just cut as many rings as possible out of the entire sheet would drastically reduce the price/ring.

Luck of the draw how good it fits - I could end up with 50 rings that are too tight (could file it down) or worse, too loose... I decided not to pursue, since I don't like the idea of so much (potential) scrap lying around.

Food for thought - for 36 / ring, I could actually get some prototypes cut out of 3mm AlMg3, fine tune it, then go ahead with the better material.

Sigh, all I want is a ring too!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast