BontyHunter

XTR Spiderless-Boone Chainring BB Size???

[size=3]Hello All,[/size]

[size=3]I just received my Boone Ti 33T Chainring. Oh yeah, it is Sweet!!! I slapped it on and noticed that it is extremely close the the chainstay tube and anti-suck bracket on my Bontrager Ti frame. I'm not totally sure, but I think I have the XTR 112 BB. Is the XTR 116 BB the way to go?[/size]

[size=3]Thanks,[/size]
    [size=3]Brian[/size]

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    Brian,

hey there. i also have a xtr/boone combo. i'll be installing it tomorrow (or atleast try). last time, i tried this crankset on my kelly 29 ss, the ring was touching the stay and the crankarm only had 3-4 mm of clearance...not gonna work (maybe it's a 29er thing???). that was with a 116mm spindle. the xtr/boone did work on one of my prior ss bikes (my ibis ripley). i ended up getting a set of white ind eno cranks since the square taper bb can be found in many widths.

i'll try the xtr/boone on another ss frame tomorrow (if the guy with the brown bus isn't late). i'll measure what width i get with the 116mm bb and let you know (post it here). i hope this damn combo works, i'd hate to sell the xtr/boone combo.

cheers.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    Brian,

hey there. i also have a xtr/boone combo. i'll be installing it tomorrow (or atleast try). last time, i tried this crankset on my kelly 29 ss, the ring was touching the stay and the crankarm only had 3-4 mm of clearance...not gonna work (maybe it's a 29er thing???). that was with a 116mm spindle. the xtr/boone did work on one of my prior ss bikes (my ibis ripley). i ended up getting a set of white ind eno cranks since the square taper bb can be found in many widths.

i'll try the xtr/boone on another ss frame tomorrow (if the guy with the brown bus isn't late). i'll measure what width i get with the 116mm bb and let you know (post it here). i hope this damn combo works, i'd hate to sell the xtr/boone combo.

cheers.
    i thought it was just my frame. i have the xtr cranks 952 model and use an a.c. spider with a spot 34T ring. certain positions with the EBB are WAY too close to the frame but if i SLIGHTLY nudge the ebb to one side and keep it near the front of it's movement there is just enough space but i would still prefer more.

I'll get better spacing with a different crankset???? say the new XT or XTR since i think they have 118 or something like that width?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Your XTR BB should have come with 2 small 2mm spacers. If not, a cassette spacer should fit over the BB cups and put the crank arm out a bit.

Of course if your non-drive side is also way to close, you're screwed

Either of you riding 180s?? I might help take them off your hands if they are

Shane

Slow riding mama's boy

I'm running the 112.5 with a 34 tooth. Pretty tight.

But it works great, and the chainline seems good. I think it has one of the small spacers installed. I don't know why it wouldn't work well even if spacing seems a little tight, but I don't have any kind of anti-suck bracket to deal with. If you're not using a spacer, maybe that will help. Good luck.

Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images

BontyHunter

BB is a 112 mm

Thanks for the input everyone. I just pulled the old BB and it is a 112 mm. So there is hope. I ordered a 116 mm at jensonusa and it was a good deal @ $45. Should be here in a couple of days. The reason I'm so worried is with all the torque on the cranks while SS'ing it would be quite easy to flex the chainring right into the chainstay tube. I had this happen to me after a LBS built up a cross bike for me. I wanted to try using a triple crank. It seemed like it would work until you tried the steepest hills and torque from pedaling was enough to flex the chainring into the frame. Luckily, it only gouged the frame slightly, but it could have been worse. I'll let you know how the install turns out, and try to post a few new pictures. I have some other shots of my SS Bonty and my past and present rides here http://public.fotki.com/JahWind/

Thanks,
    Brian

Slow riding mama's boy

My spindly legs eliminate the torque problem.

good luck!

Joel

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    alrighty, i installed my bb/crankset...i've got a few measurements.

i have;
    m951 180mm xtr crankarms
    116mm m952 bb
    32t boone ring
    68mm bb shell

with everything installed i get a 48mm chainline. the width from in the inside of one crankarm, across the frame, to the inside of the other arm is 140mm. kind of like q-factor, but this measurement will help you figure out what kind of clearance you're gonna get...hopefully.

i get about 5mm of clearance for the arms, about 4mm for the ring. i think i'll be fine with that, but may opt for a 118mm dura ace triple bb if i can find on on the cheap.

cheers!