mtbr member
    Jul 2008

XTR 951 conversion

I am going to change an old bike into a single speed and was wondering if there is an adapter to change the older XTR 951 cranks to a single chainring. Those are the cranks that had the one piece spider and chainrings. Thanks for any help in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Boone and Spot both made them. Not sure if they're still available, but you might be able to find one new-old-stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Find an older XT spider

An option is the removable spider from early 9spd square taper XT cranks (M750?).
    This spider was fastened to crank arm with siimilar lockring as XTR M951/2 cranks, has same splined interface. The XT spider is 4 bolt 104mm BC, so many chainrings will fit.
    Note: later XT cranks have pressed on spiders, can't be removed, won't work.
    Middleburn made a spider for XTR M951/2 cranks, not sure if they are still available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the info. Guess I am off to ebay to look for an old xt spider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

spider and makeshift spider

I used to have an xtr 4 bolt spider that I bought and later sold on ebay, dont recall the BCD. I also took an old outer xtr ring and cut off the "ring" oustide the chainring bolt holes and made a spider out of it, but was still stuck using XTR chainrings, or their non shimano counterparts with the same bcd.