mtbr member
    Jun 2005

XT M760 SS Crankset Question

Not sure if it matters but should I mount the middle ring on the inside of the tabs or the outside? I'm guessing inside just like the 3-ring set up, but it seems to look a little cleaner of the outside. Preferences, reasons?? I will not be using a bashguard. Thanks in advance.

Scott

mtbr member
    If you are using a cassette hub and can easily adjust rear chainline, I can't think of any reason not to run it on the outside. Looks are important!

Chainline for a freewheel hub isn't so adjustable and is likely to line up with the inside position in the average setup.

I usually run mine on the inside because I either have a larger chainring in the outside position for a dinglespeed setup or I switch in a simple bashguard. When I used a tomicog with my last crankset it lined up with the outside position though

mtbr member
    I run a cassette hub with spacers so I can choose either position but I put it on the outside so I can use bigger chainrings without hitting the chainstays.

one chain loop
    ring position really depends on the design of the holes where the chainring bolts go. most middle rings (i.e. mono veloce) have notches for the bolts to seat flush making it difficult or next to impossible to mount it outside the spider. of course someone can make it possible to mount it outside but it will be hairy playing with few mm's of contact between the bolt and the ring, function over fashion on that part.

but then again, some rings have just straight holes, more versatile, mount wherever kind. its just the matter of lining up the rear cog safely. if the front chainline is over 57.5mm mounted outside, i say ditch the idea unless you want your cog seating 5mm next to the lockring.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks guys, all great points.

Training for vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    most middle rings (i.e. mono veloce) have notches for the bolts to seat flush making it difficult or next to impossible to mount it outside the spider.
    Mounting a middle chaining in such a manner that the chain ring bolts don’t sit on the recessed side of the CR allows for better adjustment in terms of concentricity. However depending on gearing, CRB torque, steepness of the terrain, and mashing strength this may allow the ring to move more under power. YMMV

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have found issues with going outside with the smallest rings. They hit the crank. I just hit them with a file and that's not a problem. On my XTR M970s I run it in the middle because the chainline works out better with my freewheel. Jesse Lalonde runs his on the outside of his M970s because he has the Bontrager (DT Swiss) cassette hub and can move his chainline out.