mtbr member

XT M756 as a singlespeed hub?

What are your thoughts on using this hub as a SS hub?

34X20. 200 pounder. Mixed trail conditions...lots of punchy climbs.

Can i expect it to last awhile?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It's definitely been done. I am sure there is more than a few posts about this. This is the setup I am running with Surly spacers and Surly cog in the rear. 32T on 180mm arms up front and 16T in the rear.

So far so good with my setup, but its only been about a month. I have heard of a few broken XT freehubs, but I have no first hand experience. The main thing I have noticed is that the engagement of the XT freehub is not very fast. So, going from coasting to hammer time, there is some wind up before engagement. I would think, that over time, this may lead to premature failure, as there will be more velocity and force placed on the freehub when the paws engage on the XT hub as opposed to a hub of similar strength but quicker engagement.

With that said, I am just north of 200lbs dry and closer to 220lbs fully loaded. I lift weights (lunges and squats) and only ride SS right now. So, if there is an issue of strength with the XT hub, I will most likely experience it at some point.
    Stuffing our faces at an ever smaller table.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I have a set laced to Blunts on my 29er. They have been great but I only weigh 160.

The only issues that I'm aware of are improper adjustments of the bearings leading to premature failure.

You need to keep them lubed and properly tightened.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i've been running an older model xt hub with spacers and a cog for quite a few years without any problems. I did break a freehub body into a bunch of pieces on a deore hub though. It was during a race and luckily I was only a kilo or so from the finish so I just ran it out. I weigh about 190 and the deore hub break was while on a 29er.

jason

mtbr member
    I used an XT hub SS for a year. They've seen light multi gear use since then. I'm 200 lbs and ride similar terrain. No problems. I agree the hub is slow to to engage though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Been on the same XT hub for over 2 years now. Gearing ranges from 32-16 to 32-20. I weight in at 190 + whatever my pack weights. The hub (rear wheel) is on it's 4th frame.

mtbr member
    Did this for a year until I parted out the bike. Kept the XT hubset though.

FWIW I used a Surly cog - it has a wider base to spread the load over more freehub spline area. At the time I weighed about 190lbs with full gear. I ran 36-20.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    X2 for the same hub and Surly cog.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area