mtbr member

XT crank: question on chainring bolts and running mid ring only

I want to lose my big and small chain rings on my old school (94-95) XT cranks and run middle 32 or 34 only for my SS conversion project.

Problem is the chainring bolts are requiring the outer (big) chainring so they tighten enough to hold the middle ring tight. I could get a bash guard, or perhaps find washers that would take the place of the 2-4 mm big chainring so the bolts will hold firm.

Anyone else deal with this issue? What would you do?

Thanks,
    Rash
    =--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=
    frenzied

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by rash
    I want to lose my big and small chain rings on my old school (94-95) XT cranks and run middle 32 or 34 only for my SS conversion project.

Problem is the chainring bolts are requiring the outer (big) chainring so they tighten enough to hold the middle ring tight. I could get a bash guard, or perhaps find washers that would take the place of the 2-4 mm big chainring so the bolts will hold firm.

Thanks,
    Rash
    Either get XTR chainring bolts or these other ones (they're shorter than what you have).

http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=406&page=1

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I run my SS on XT M737 180mm cranks and found using a Spot Bashgaurd was the best choice. Looks better, some protection, and eliminates need for shorter ring bolts. I also use a Spot 32t ring. Try Bikeman.com, AEBike, Ebay, etc.

mtbr member

Thanks,
    Rash
    ....Go to LBS and pick up some BMX bolts and inserts, they are shorter....I converted my early 90's REdlinE to SS 2 weeks ago and ran into the same dilemma... I moved my 36T to the big ring location and am using a 19T out back...spins like hell on the flats buts gets a good leg burn going on the ups...will try 18T real soon.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I believe this is in the SS FAQ. Get BMX/single ring chainring bolts. Should cost you $6-10.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    What I did is just thread the inner insert nut (whatever you call it) the other way around and works with me. This is a temporary solution until you got that shorter bolts...I hope you understand what I mean...good luck...

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Just grind the nuts a little

The bolts actually don't have to be shorter. You just need shorter nuts - which is easy to accomplish if you have a file and a vice. Just clamp 'em in there one by one and file a couple mm off the narrow (facing the bolt) side. Presto. Now they'll work fine. If the bolts are also really long, it might be a little hard to hold onto the nut to tighten them down, in which case, obviously, shorter bolts will help. Just don't buy shorter bolts that don't include shorter nuts - you won't get anywhere without fixing the nut problem in most cases.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Another alternative will be to change the ring, I use Deore cranks with a Salsa ring and use the stock chainring bolts.

mtbr member

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips...

I think I'll either file the bolts or buy the shorter ones....I'm tryin to go low budget with this project as I hope to buy a single speed frame later this winter to build up with the *nice* components. Something like a chameleon, or perhaps the new soma 4one5.

Rash
    =--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=
    frenzied

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips...

I think I'll either file the bolts or buy the shorter ones....I'm tryin to go low budget with this project as I hope to buy a single speed frame later this winter to build up with the *nice* components. Something like a chameleon, or perhaps the new soma 4one5.

Rash
    A cheap solution is to get some internal tooth lock washers from your local hardware store. Even though they are sold in Englisth units, they fit perfectly around the nut because of the cutaway for the teeth.