Enjoying Every Sandwich

XMas $$ burning a hole in my SS project havin' pocket.....

WOW, somehow I ended up with a bunch of cash from Santa this year. No time like the present to get my SS project 2000 GF Aquila off the ground. But where do I start? I have a frame and that's it. Santa was also kind enough to bring me a Park PCS 1 stand, toolkit, seatpost and stem to get the ball rolling.

I've been looking at the Surly 1x1 forks out there. AE Bike had them for $55. Is that the going rate? No one locally sells them, so I am going to have to order it from one of the online retailers. Since I am probably going to make that my first purchase, I guess I need to settle on a headset, stem and bars too. Any suggestions on a sub $50 headset? I was looking at some of the Cane Creek models last night in my Supergo Catalog.

Once I get that stuff in, I may go ahead and get a decent wheelset. I would like to get all of the higher priced items out of the way now that I have some extra cash to spend.

The only aspect that worries me in the build is the drive train. I figure this is where I will have the most trouble. I may let the LBS handle that task. I'll post pics showing progress.

Later,

Bunk

Just another Homer

I have

A brand new, never used Surly fork, white.30 bucks and you pay the frieght.I'm in CA,.email : Painfreak@singlespeed.net
    If you're interested.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Enjoying Every Sandwich
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    A brand new, never used Surly fork, white.30 bucks and you pay the frieght.I'm in CA,.email : Painfreak@singlespeed.net
    If you're interested.
    Thanks for the offer, but I am looking at the BLACK 1x1 fork. I need a 1 1/8" diameter too. My frame is Electric Blue, and I am wanting the Black fork to go with a black wheelset when I find one.

mtbr member
    If ordering from aebike make sure that you're not in a hurry, the orders usually take about 2 weeks to arrive.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    Mr. Freak,

I might be interested in that fork if the Axle-crown height is right. You know it off-hand?
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

Enjoying Every Sandwich
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    If ordering from aebike make sure that you're not in a hurry, the orders usually take about 2 weeks to arrive.
    Thanks for the heads up. We have a Surly dealer about 45 minutes away I have learned. I may see if they can get me one any quicker or see if any of the other online guys can ship them any faster than Alfie can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would personally go through Webcyclery. I, as well as others on this form, have dealt with them a lot and I have had nothing but good experiences. Plus the 1x1 fork is only $49.99 there =).

In my experience with headsets, there are reasonably priced ones, then a no man's land between that and King headsets. King headsets are more of a lifelong investment than a purchase. However, when I don't want to spend that much I usually get something more in the $30 range. I have had good luck with FSA Pig and Cane Creek S2 headsets. You should be able to get either of those for under $30. I'd check out JensonUSA for the best prices.

As for wheels, I usually advocate having wheels hand built if you have room in your budget. MeanTodd @ Webcyclery, Larry @ MountainHigh Cyclery, and Mike (I think that's his name) @ OddsandEndos all have excellent reputations for good wheels builds and should be happy to help you with selection of your wheels components.

As for assembly of the drivetrain, do you have any experience working on your bike? A single speed drivetrain is very simplistic. If you have a few tools then you could easily do it yourself. However, if you don't want to do it yourself, any competent bike shop could put it together for you.

Down South Yooper

Headsets go pretty cheap on eBay too

I picked up a couple of nice HS there recently. A used WTB greaseguard (not the cheap momentum ones, an actual GG), and I've seen the syncros Hardcore hs's go pretty cheap too, for $30 you can get a pretty good deal. It's worth a look, probably get a good deal. The only headsets I see on ebay go high are the KING's, but then, they're worth it, IMO.

Plum

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBUNKY
    Thanks for the heads up. We have a Surly dealer about 45 minutes away I have learned. I may see if they can get me one any quicker or see if any of the other online guys can ship them any faster than Alfie can.
    Actually, every bike shop is a Surly dealer...they're carried in the QBP catalogue. So you can get what you want from any LBS.

beer *****es n' bikes
    I haven't been very happy with any of the Cane Creek headsets I have had, but my $40 FSA Duron X is very, very close to a Chris King in terms of finish, smoothness and I would guess, long term durability. Sealed cartridge bearings, nice aluminum cups with a very nice finish. Not a great headset to be putting in and out of all sorts of bikes as the cups will get chewed up, but just phenominally smooth and well made for $40. Note that this is for my roadbike however. Ritchey on my beater SS, and Cane Creek (very gritty and un-smooth) on my Stumpjumper, despite the 3x sealed bearings.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

I've got a surly fork you can have

I cut the steerer too short for my 20" frame and it's just been hanging around collecting dust. It's white and vbrake only. The steerer is 7.25" long.

I know you said you wanted black but the price is right. Anyway I'm of the school that SSs should be cobbled together frankenbikes, not blingmobiles.

If you can use it I'll drop it in the mail to you.

And don't worry abt the drivetrain! Just do it!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBUNKY
    WOW, somehow I ended up with a bunch of cash from Santa this year. No time like the present to get my SS project 2000 GF Aquila off the ground. But where do I start? I have a frame and that's it. Santa was also kind enough to bring me a Park PCS 1 stand, toolkit, seatpost and stem to get the ball rolling.

I've been looking at the Surly 1x1 forks out there. AE Bike had them for $55. Is that the going rate? No one locally sells them, so I am going to have to order it from one of the online retailers. Since I am probably going to make that my first purchase, I guess I need to settle on a headset, stem and bars too. Any suggestions on a sub $50 headset? I was looking at some of the Cane Creek models last night in my Supergo Catalog.

Once I get that stuff in, I may go ahead and get a decent wheelset. I would like to get all of the higher priced items out of the way now that I have some extra cash to spend.

The only aspect that worries me in the build is the drive train. I figure this is where I will have the most trouble. I may let the LBS handle that task. I'll post pics showing progress.

Later,

Bunk
    keep moving

Enjoying Every Sandwich
    Quote Originally Posted by Burpee
    I cut the steerer too short for my 20" frame and it's just been hanging around collecting dust. It's white and vbrake only. The steerer is 7.25" long.

I know you said you wanted black but the price is right. Anyway I'm of the school that SSs should be cobbled together frankenbikes, not blingmobiles.

If you can use it I'll drop it in the mail to you.

And don't worry abt the drivetrain! Just do it!
    FRICK!

Guess what I just did a mere moment before reading this.........................

ordered my 1x1 from Webcyclery. Yep, it's on the way. Schiznit! That's what I get for leaving the SS forum for a mere two hours today.

Irish Stew

Ride it .

[SIZE=5]Hey man..
    Give me a call when ya gitter done & we'll hit Womble..

Pep
    [/SIZE]

Enjoying Every Sandwich
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrpeppermint
    [SIZE=5]Hey man..
    Give me a call when ya gitter done & we'll hit Womble..

Pep
    [/SIZE]

WERD!