mtbr member

Xc rider, thinking in going ss all the way

So about 4 months ago I got a budget friendly SS (soma juice, rigid) and been using it ever since. Now Im seriously thinking in converting my $6k xc bike to SS, and just stay as a SS rider forever

Is there any SS XC/endurance rider out there that did the same?

mtbr member
    Difference between both bikes would be one would have a suspension fork + 34T - 16T gearing, and the other one Rigid all the way 32T-19T gearing

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I started racing XC on my SS. My trail bike at the time had a caliper freeze just before my first race and my new brakes didn't arrive in time. So I just did the race on my SS. And loved it.

Last year I tried to do a couple XC races on my geared Air9. I finished worse in those races than I did on the races where I rode SS. This year, I only have SS bikes in my quiver (except for my CX bike, that still has gears as I use it for road training too) and have done a 6hr race (finished 3rd) and just finished my first 100 mile race last weekend (Hampshire 100). I have another 50 miler on the schedule and either an 6hr or 2nd 50 miler the following weekend. Just have to decide which race I want to do.

For me, I find that the SS forces me to recover on flats. This leaves me with power for the climbs, so my average times are still quite good considering my low amounts of training. Only issue for me is that a bunch of slow guys come out too hard in races, get in front of me, then hold me up when the trail points up or gets technical.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    34x16 is steep gearing by the way, at least for a 29r. Fine if you ride flat, open trails. I prefer to gear a little on the low side so that I can get closer to an efficient cadence on tighter, slower single track and easier climbing. 32x20 on a 29r allowed me to ride for 11hrs over 100 miles with 10k+ of climbing.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I know 34x16 is a bit harsh but I would use that bike on known roads with lots of open trails and then my other bike for more technical climbs.

I did a 35 miler about 2 months ago, first SS race, and the same thing happened to me, a bunch of guys got in front of me on the flat section, then on the technical climbs I felt I had strength to just slam the pedals and go for it, but couldn't do it because of all the morons in their granny gears, lost a lot of time and power trying to climb very slowly (low cadence) one of my worst races ever; this is one of my main concerns

SSOD
    Quote Originally Posted by el_burras View Post
    I did a 35 miler about 2 months ago, first SS race, and the same thing happened to me, a bunch of guys got in front of me on the flat section, then on the technical climbs I felt I had strength to just slam the pedals and go for it, but couldn't do it because of all the morons in their granny gears, lost a lot of time and power trying to climb very slowly (low cadence) one of my worst races ever; this is one of my main concerns
    Such as the plite of racing ss. But you get used to it. Even if you race in the ss categories you still have to deal with catching the slower cats and passing them. Some races will race the 1's then ss then 2's and you rarely ever have issues. But mass start races like most endurance stuff will have a mile or two road section before the trail, every time you see geared people sprint all out to the trail then die 5 mins in and you have to pass them all again. In the end you either end up with excuses or results, either way your always going to have to deal with slower riders, gears or not. Keep drinking the kool aid, you'll figure it out man

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by el_burras View Post
    Yeah, I know 34x16 is a bit harsh but I would use that bike on known roads with lots of open trails and then my other bike for more technical climbs.

I've watched SS riders who ended up on the podium dismount and run past slow peeps on congested climbs. Doesn't do much good if you are in a congo line on really narrow trails with no room to get past though. Not sure if that is frowned upon in some races or not.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't know. Depends on the terrain you ride. I freaking LOVE my single speed more than any bike ever. But I ride a lot of places with steep, loose climbs where gears allow me to stay in the saddle and granny it up.

If you don't have those, hell yeah SS it full time.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    On the uphill side of my 40's, I find that I need gear bike now if I ride 3rd day in a row (if all are longer rides). I ride singlespeed almost exclusively, but 3 rides per month I can ride full squish gear bike. This allows additional fun. I was riding singlespeed 19 or 20 days per month, but as I slide towards 50, it's just not possible for every ride. If I were age 15 to 35 I would only own my singlespeed. One note, I am in construction, and I'm kind of a wussy, so maybe I'm worn out from work a bit sometimes.

Ahhh the pain....
    I'm 49 and have been riding SS for the last 5 years exclusively. Endurance riding (100 mile days) plus multi-day bikepacking... There are some courses where a SS can be a disadvantage, but they are (IMHO) few and far between(at least in AZ). The advantages of the SS far outweigh most disadvantages.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/