mtbr member
    Jun 2008

WTB Single Duty Rear Hub?

Anyone have experience with this SS Hub? How do like it if so? Thanks

trail rat
    Yes, it is one of the smoothest I have seen with almost no cassette drag, so it spins and spins. Light for what it is, the Super Duty shell with a SS cassette, and bolt on axle. Great hub!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Teen Wolf
    mine runs great.

Tulsa
    mine spins well, the gap between pawls doesn't bother me as much as some people
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Yes, it is one of the smoothest I have seen with almost no cassette drag, so it spins and spins. Light for what it is, the Super Duty shell with a SS cassette, and bolt on axle. Great hub!
    I agree. Wish the engagement was a little better, but I rarely notice. I would buy again.

mtbr member

Unique pattern

Hey RussoJ,

Just a tiny caveat. A buddy of mine has one of these and I think (not sure about this) he has had some challenges getting cogs to fit. I think it is a proprietary pattern and a "standard" cog (Surly, King) won't work - you have to get their (WTB) cog.

Not trashing the hub, by any means. I think my friend is fine with it, but just something to look into further in terms of flexibility of gearing. I know personally it is nice to have 4 or 5 different cogs to throw on the back depending on the terrain.

Good luck,

E

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by theycallmeE
    Just a tiny caveat. A buddy of mine has one of these and I think (not sure about this) he has had some challenges getting cogs to fit. I think it is a proprietary pattern and a "standard" cog (Surly, King) won't work - you have to get their (WTB) cog.
    My steel 22tooth Surley cog fits just fine thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by theycallmeE
    Hey RussoJ,

Not trashing the hub, by any means. I think my friend is fine with it, but just something to look into further in terms of flexibility of gearing. I know personally it is nice to have 4 or 5 different cogs to throw on the back depending on the terrain.

Good luck,

E
    I heard the same thing to about the freehub not excepting Surley or King ( I think they are both Shimano style splines) The on;y issue I see with getting this hub is the engagement is not really that quick from what I been reading. does your buddy have any issues with his not engaging as quick as he would like in some situations?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    get rid of the dam free hub set up james and get a white industries freewheel

mtbr member
    Jim - Swing by the shop to see my new Kings, I build them up tonight. Sweet wheels

Be careful, you might be tempted to get some for yourself

Tulsa
    QUOTE=theycallmeE]Hey RussoJ,

Good luck,

E[/QUOTE]

I'd never heard that, i've only had the boone on mine though, I think there's a standard and whatnot
    wherever you go, there you are

trail rat
    I've had WTB of course, Kick Ass, King, Redline, and Surly cogs on mine - all fit.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I don't think that there is anything unique to the spline pattern. Typical Shimano type stuff. I know the American Classic is fine with Surly cogs, etc. Not the exact hub, but pretty close.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

human dehumidifier
    Just turn the cog until the pattern lines up and it slides on. There's either a wide or narrow spline in the Shimano pattern, I forget which.
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity - W.B. Yeats

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    My steel 22tooth Surley cog fits just fine thank you.
    Maybe my friend who told me he had trouble finding cogs that fit is just a dumb*ss . Sounds like you'll have no problems finding cogs that work.

I don't think he has any issues with engagement - the bike goes forward just fine when he starts pedaling it. Good luck,

E
    Last edited by theycallmeE; 08-27-2009 at 06:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SSRiderDave
    Jim - Swing by the shop to see my new Kings, I build them up tonight. Sweet wheels

Be careful, you might be tempted to get some for yourself
    Yeah I just got back from a little ride today and stopped in there. Soooo tempted to just but the money down on those kings and call it good since I wont ever have to buy another set again. By the way the color you picked is sweet!!! When is the frame coming in?

jl
    climb
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RussoJ
    Yeah I just got back from a little ride today and stopped in there. Soooo tempted to just but the money down on those kings and call it good since I wont ever have to buy another set again. By the way the color you picked is sweet!!! When is the frame coming in?
    Early next week, I can't wait