Thread: Which WTB rim?

Baby Bear is in the house

New question here. Which WTB rim?

I'm building up a rigid SS (26") bike for 80% on-road commutes and 20% XC trail use.
    It's going to be a budget build so I've narrowed down my choices to these 3 WTB rims (inner/outer widths/weight):
    SpeedDisc XC (17mm/24mm/450g)
    SpeedDisc All Mountain (21/26.5/475)
    Dual Duty XC (19/24/450)

As these will be going on a Surly 1x1, my first choice was the Dual Duty XC, as it will allow me to run cantis/v-brakes in case of emergencies (e.g. need to send my disc brakes in for repair). It also has fairly good numbers, namely a good inner rim width and fairly light weight. But now I'm thinking of replacing the stock fork with a WB Rock Solid, which doesn't have canti mounts, making the rim brake capability moot. So the DD XC choice isn't so clear anymore.

The SpeedDisc AM is nice and wide, and would probably be the best choice in those terms as I plan to run Weirwolf LT 2.55s front and rear. But it's the heaviest rim of the three.

The SpeedDisc XC is the same weight as the DDXC but is narrower. The only thing going for it is that it's all black (versus the silver rim brake track of the DDXC), which would really go well with the black 1x1 frame and overall colour scheme I'm going for.

I am now leaning towards the SD AM, but now my question is, would the extra 50g total rotational weight over the SD XCs be worth it considering it's 4mm wider?

So, which of these 3 rims would you suggest I go for and why.

TIA for any input.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Go with the Origin8 carbon fork. Same thing, comes with canti studs. Cheaper too.

mtbr member
    With a large tire like that, I would choose the wide rim too. It will support the tire better and give it more stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Go with the Origin8 carbon fork. Same thing, comes with canti studs. Cheaper too.
    You wouldn't believe the deal I'm getting with the Rock Solid

Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    With a large tire like that, I would choose the wide rim too. It will support the tire better and give it more stability.
    Thanks for the input.

Would you say the extra 2mm of the AM would make that much of a difference to justify the 50g extra weight compared to the DD XC?
    Last edited by r1Gel; 03-07-2009 at 01:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    Thanks for the input.

Would you say the extra 2mm of the AM would make that much of a difference to justify the 50g extra weight of the DD XC?
    Hard to say exactly. I totally understand the weight weenie side of it, especially if you're doing 80% commuting. A big tire will still do ok on a smaller rim

On the other hand, I have used a Rampage on a narrow rim and on a 27mm wide rim. On the narrow rim I could grab the tire and flex it side to side much more than the wider rim. You may not notice the effects as much when riding, but for me i felt like I could corner harder and more confidently because the tire wasn't trying to fold over. The wide rim will also put a bit more tread on the ground than a narrow rim which produces a more balloon shaped tire