Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

WTB Laser TCS Trail 29in Wheelset

Anybody have any experience with these? Looking to possibly upgrade my stock wheelset on a Motobecane Outcast. Wondering if these would be worth it, or simply a horizontal move. Thanks.

mtbr member
    They are an excellent wheelset. The WTB hubs are basically the American Classic hubs complete with the steel face freehub body. Not the quickest engaging hubs around, but very solid otherwise. Rims are tubeless ready using tape and valves (included) and will work with Tubeless Ready tires and some non-tubeless tires. I was able to mount standard Continental Race Kings with a floor pump. Spokes are triple butted. They can be had at some smoking deals right now, I got mine from Chainlove for $236 shipped!
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    That's pretty much why I was asking, cause they have some crazy deals right now. The $238 seems pretty reasonable, so if I see it again...I'm pulling the trigger. Thanks for the insight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I saw these last night on ChainLove again and finally decided to pull the trigger.

Since these are American Classic hubs, can they be converted to a thru-axle using one of the conversion kits?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep01 View Post
    I saw these last night on ChainLove again and finally decided to pull the trigger.

Since these are American Classic hubs, can they be converted to a thru-axle using one of the conversion kits?
    No, the Laser Disc uses the older style AC design and is not convertible.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Just ordered from Chainlove. Tortured to wait until they came up. Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Keep missing it. I'll see it pop up sometime.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    No, the Laser Disc uses the older style AC design and is not convertible.
    They are convertible, I just did mine... I also converted some of my AC hubs I used to have on my race bike back in 2005 to thru axle and built up some 29er wheels out of them. The rep at American Classic told me most all AC front hubs are convertible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    They are convertible, I just did mine... I also converted some of my AC hubs I used to have on my race bike back in 2005 to thru axle and built up some 29er wheels out of them. The rep at American Classic told me most all AC front hubs are convertible.
    The kit works with the AC hubs that use 6803 bearings which are 17mm inner diameter. The WTB hub uses the older style 15267 bearings with a 15mm inner diameter. The axle kit will not fit these hubs on the Laserdisc wheelset.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Ok, so I'm getting pretty damn sick of playing the game of waiting for these damn wheels to show up on chainlove and backcountry.com does not want to give me the deal (that's fair), so I'm now pondering other wheelsets. Hate to jack my own thread, but anybody hear of Sun Ringle Black Flag Comp Wheelset 2012? Pretty good deals going on on a few websites, and I don't have to f*ck#ing wait for them to be available ya know. Thanks as always.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure the deal is gone now, haven't seen it since Monday. That said unless you can get the Black Flag Comp wheelset at a significant savings over the $331 price Backcountry has the WTB wheels at...you're downgrading. The Black Flag Comps aren't bad, but they're not as nice as the WTB wheels and the prices I've seen for them are around the same.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

dirtbag
    I got a pair of these when they were around $240. They set up super easy tubeless with WTB TCS tires (Wolverine/Bronson). I've rechecked the spoke tension and true after a month of riding almost daily and they've been spot on. No adjustments needed.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Finally was able to nab a set of these. Should be getting them in a few days. Now hopefully the snow melts a bit so I can give them a whirl. Last major upgrade for the SS...of course I say that after every upgrade.

mtbr member
    Ok, so I just failed miserably at trying to mount ghetto tubeless kenda nevegals 2.2's on these rims. Anything I'm missing? I don't have a compressor, so not sure if that was it...but they were acting like no amount of air was going to inflate these things. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    Ok, so I just failed miserably at trying to mount ghetto tubeless kenda nevegals 2.2's on these rims. Anything I'm missing? I don't have a compressor, so not sure if that was it...but they were acting like no amount of air was going to inflate these things. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
    They use a UST compliant bead so it's going to be hit or miss running non-tubeless tires on them. A tubeless ready tire should have no problem mounting with a floor pump but non tubeless tires may need a compressor and even then there is no guarantee.

I've ghetto mounted many tires and most need a compressor, I was quite surprised that my Continental Race Kings seated with just a floor pump.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am also interested in these wheels, as I am looking to upgrade from the stock wheels that I have (WTB Laserdiscs) they are called AM wheels, however I consider myself more of a XC rider (for whatever that's worth) would these be a bit on the heavy side for that and would these be an upgrade from the Laserdiscs?.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    I am also interested in these wheels, as I am looking to upgrade from the stock wheels that I have (WTB Laserdiscs) they are called AM wheels, however I consider myself more of a XC rider (for whatever that's worth) would these be a bit on the heavy side for that and would these be an upgrade from the Laserdiscs?.
    Yes, a bit on the heavy side for a pure XC wheelset. Rims are a wee bit lighter than the Laserdisc Trail rims but otherwise the only upgrade is the TCS rim profile over the standard Laserdisc.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    They use a UST compliant bead so it's going to be hit or miss running non-tubeless tires on them. A tubeless ready tire should have no problem mounting with a floor pump but non tubeless tires may need a compressor and even then there is no guarantee.

I've ghetto mounted many tires and most need a compressor, I was quite surprised that my Continental Race Kings seated with just a floor pump.
    Well even a compressor was not going to help these things (nevegals), so I threw the tubes back on for now. I actually did try an air compressor by the way. Even with the tubes, this wheelset knocked off 1.5lbs from the stock crap wheels. So I'm going to order some UST's (probably finally try some WTB tires to compliment these nice wheels).

dirtbag
    WTB Bronson are similar-ish to the Nevegal, nice burly tread but rolls WAY better and doesn't feel sluggish. They can be had in the TCS version which mount super easy - I used a floor pump.
    Amolan

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I just installed, and this is the least true, rear wheel out of the box I have ever seen. Anyway, I am stoked to get these for $209, and I am a fan of WTB stuff. I will see what happens after a few rides. I have never needed new wheels trued before (KING/i23, XT, XT 29er, XTR26er, Azonic Outlaw, DT X1800, or Bontrager sets). I ride fri and listen to spokes ping, then check 'em.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I just installed, and this is the least true, rear wheel out of the box I have ever seen. Anyway, I am stoked to get these for $209, and I am a fan of WTB stuff. I will see what happens after a few rides. I have never needed new wheels trued before (KING/i23, XT, XT 29er, XTR26er, Azonic Outlaw, DT X1800, or Bontrager sets). I ride fri and listen to spokes ping, then check 'em.
    Hmm...maybe got a dud. Mine came perfectly true and I checked the tension on them (as I do with any prebuilt wheel) and they were nice and even. Not one single ping was heard on my subsequent rides.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    I'll also keep an eye/ear out when I take mine on their maiden voyage this weekend.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Pumped up to 65 psi and rolled in the rain!

2nd ride on wheelset, 1.5 hr roadride, some staircases, lots of pot holes, and no spoke pinging. Anyway, I love the wheels for the price and will true them at some point. I use these as road ride wheelset with older worn out tires I have laying around. My main Chris King/WTB i23 singlespeed specific wheelset is reserved for fresh tires and off road only. This new Laser TCS set is waaaaay quiet. I really like the quick release levers too. I will usually run these tubeless at about 25-30 psi, but I am trying to use up old tires right now so using tubes (its kinda weird using tubes again, I don't like it). I installed used Maxxis Ignitor 2.1, and Geax Gato TNT 2.3 with no tools, just soapy water (since I am used to tubeless set ups now). I like these wheels. Oh, as far engagement, they are not as quick as my Chris King, but it doesn't really bother me (on my weenie rides). Thanks again for the heads up on this $209 deal people. I almost bought used 29er set for more $ that is not as versatile. Great value.

mtbr member
    I also took my wheels for their maiden voyage yesterday on my SS 29er. I could definitely tell the difference in weight as they seemed more nimble. I also had no pinging, nice wheelset for the price. I literally have nothing else to upgrade on my motobecane outcast, except the frame. I'm sure the next one will be steel. Forgot to mention that I also am running my kenda nevegals w/tubes since they have so much tread left. I think I'm going to get some bronson's and possibly weirwolfs TCS's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    bought these wheels a couple weeks ago as a 2nd set for my surly trucker and to try going tubless CX tires to take the trucker on some dirt trails with. Somehow that spiraled into me deciding I want to build a 29er and get into MTB. My question for you experts is I'm 6'3 250lbs, do you think this will be a pretty durable wheelset for me for cross country riding? I know tons about road riding but don't know jack about MTB. I'm paranoid of jumping off a curb on any bike at my weight though I'm pleasantly surprised at how many guys are on the clydesdale section of this site that weigh WAYYYY more than me. I'm assuming that when you combine a front shock with larger tires at lower pressure that takes a lot of the abuse away from the rims?:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast