Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Poacher
    Sep 2010

250 pounds is gooooood!

These wheels are 32 spoke, eyelets in rim, and supposedly strong spokes (per WTB). My XTR set is only 24 spoke, and supposedly TRAIL set. Get good 2.3 width tires and ride! Ride those things until they break. $209!!!!!!! Good value unless you need a downhill wheelset. Then you are wasting money on these.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    awesome! good to know. I know building up a bike piecemeal usually means spending more than buying a whole bike but 1. I like building up my own stuff and 2. since I've already built a few bikes and own a lot of tools and have a small parts bin going, there are less and less little things I need to buy. lord knows seat posts and pedals and stems headsets and little things add up when doing a build. Hoping to have a nice build with SLX/XT components for about $6-700

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    My 29er is singlespeed, so that saves alot of money/time for maint.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    They are convertible, I just did mine... I also converted some of my AC hubs I used to have on my race bike back in 2005 to thru axle and built up some 29er wheels out of them. The rep at American Classic told me most all AC front hubs are convertible.
    Do you have a link for where to get the thru axle kit. Noob here. Also, can you confirm that you did this to the Laser TCS Trail 29er wheelset that has been on chainlove the past month or so? I'm 250lbs and have been advised that this is a very solid wheelset but at my weight I should be looking at thru axle options.

Thanks

EDIT Did some research and according to WTB's schematics, the bearings are the size previously mentioned, however, AMerican classic makes 12mm thru axle conversion kits so perhaps that would work? I don't know enough about this stuff, trying to learn and trying to avoid learning the hard way!

"Can I retrofit my 12mm x 142mmThru Axle Hub, 10mm x 135mm Thru Axle Hub, or 12mm X 135mm Thru Axle Hub to an AC Quick Release Rear Disc 225 Hub?

There is an AC QR Rear Disc 225 Retrofit Kit available for each of these thru axle styles available for $35.00US and shipping and you can order the kit from your local American Classic dealer or from our online shop. The kit includes an AC Cromoly Rear 135mm QR. The kit works on Disc 225 hubs with 6803C3 bearings only. See the HELP tab under MANUALS / Hub Sets to determine what hub you have and for directions. American Classic retrofit kits do not work with any other manufacturer’s hubs. "
    Last edited by cpfitness; 11-25-2012 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    update: i have about 100 miles on thes and the rear hub blewout last night. was just on a oaved street when i stood up to pedal and it gave way. time to see how good their warranty coversge is! perhads this isbwhy these wheels were released then discontinued so wuickly?

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Please keep us updated on hub repair(pawls, ratchet condition)

I wonder if the grease became hard while these sat around in a warehouse? Is that a goofy idea?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I wonder if the grease became hard while these sat around in a warehouse? Is that a goofy idea?
    Yes that is nonsensical grease lasts for years. After reading reviews of this hub it seems to me that there is a design flaw with this hub and strong riders may be prone to tjrashing it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Poacher
    Sep 2010

It MAY be nonsensical, but we ARE talking years.

I was told by Easton Wheelbuilder that they had a problem with grease in their $700 XC ONE 29er wheelsets shipped overseas from China (Taiwan?). I kind of thought the same as you. Grease is grease, even in an unused hub exposed to salt air on container ships. I don't know, did not sound right to me either, so I got a refund. I am interested in the problem of the WTB set, as I own one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Many hubs come without enough grease which can def be a problem. Especially loud ratcheting off brand hubs. The wtb hub that has tbe design flaw is the lite hub.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was told by Easton Wheelbuilder that they had a problem with grease in their $700 XC ONE 29er wheelsets shipped overseas from China (Taiwan?). I kind of thought the same as you. Grease is grease, even in an unused hub exposed to salt air on container ships. I don't know, did not sound right to me either, so I got a refund. I am interested in the problem of the WTB set, as I own one.
    just saw the title of your reponse. IT's debateable as to whether or not these hubs have been sitting around for years or not but plain grease sitting around for years will still be fine in a new hub since you haven't gotten contaminants in there. Might be a different story for someone who rode their bike for a full season then put it in a garage for a long time.

Left WTB a vmail over the weekend, got an email response back from them today. They seem to believe that it's the freehub spring thingy that is the issue and are sending out a new hub body. Should be a 10 minute fix but I am concerned that this is something that is going to happen over and over again because of the amount of power I put out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    just saw the title of your reponse. IT's debateable as to whether or not these hubs have been sitting around for years or not but plain grease sitting around for years will still be fine in a new hub since you haven't gotten contaminants in there. Might be a different story for someone who rode their bike for a full season then put it in a garage for a long time.

Left WTB a vmail over the weekend, got an email response back from them today. They seem to believe that it's the freehub spring thingy that is the issue and are sending out a new hub body. Should be a 10 minute fix but I am concerned that this is something that is going to happen over and over again because of the amount of power I put out.
    UPDATE: Should have posted this sooner but WTB came through for me. They sent me out a replacement freehub body. When I took off the original the small little spring thing was bent out of wack and not engaging. I've read about this in other reviews so I'm prepared for this to potentially happen multiple times. Wheels have warranty for 2 years so if it happens I'll continue to get replacment freehubs. That will be annoying but for $236 for the wheelset, I really can't complain. Quite frankly, people pay more than that for a tubeless ready front wheel. If it continues to be a problem, I'll just lace a new hub to the rim.

these rims are great, zero complaints, setup for tubeless no problem. I'm 250lbs and have minimal mtb skills so i've been giving them a pretty good beating and no issues.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Anyone really convert these to 15mm front? My front hub reads: Laserdisc Lite, 22.5 / 35-58, 10190114. This set is sitting unused as i switched to 15 mm fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone really convert these to 15mm front? My front hub reads: Laserdisc Lite, 22.5 / 35-58, 10190114. This set is sitting unused as i switched to 15 mm fork.
    I've been able to get this info to no avail but i'm in the market for a 2nd set of wheels pm me if you think you may want to sell them.

I'm really happy with these wheels other than the hub issue. I'm hoping that was just a fluke and doesn't keep happening. 2 year warranty should have me good on that for awhile. I have put them through the paces pretty good considering i'm a noob and have piss poor skills. I have done some minor truing on them , more because I own a truing stand and can do it, not because they really needed it that bad. They set up tubeless super easy. I'm hearing lots of good stuff about the frequency i23 rims as well, seem to be a lower cost alternative to Stans rims with ust compliant bead that is easier to mount tires onto.

mtbr member
    I've been able to get this info to no avail but i'm in the market for a 2nd set of wheels pm me if you think you may want to sell them.

I'm really happy with these wheels other than the hub issue. I'm hoping that was just a fluke and doesn't keep happening. 2 year warranty should have me good on that for awhile. I have put them through the paces pretty good considering i'm a noob and have piss poor skills. I have done some minor truing on them , more because I own a truing stand and can do it, not because they really needed it that bad. They set up tubeless super easy. I'm hearing lots of good stuff about the frequency i23 rims as well, seem to be a lower cost alternative to Stans rims with ust compliant bead that is easier to mount tires onto.
    I've been digging this wheelset as well. I'm definitley far from a clydesdale (170lbs w/gear), they have definitely provided a very good value at $238. Still have yet to mount tubless since these damn nevegals have done a good job thus far. I just got some TCS bronson's for my 26", so I'll have an idea of how they perform. I have a feeling I'll get that same tire for this wheelset. Glad to hear people are enjoying these wheels as much as I am.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    I've been digging this wheelset as well. I'm definitley far from a clydesdale (170lbs w/gear), they have definitely provided a very good value at $238. Still have yet to mount tubless since these damn nevegals have done a good job thus far. I just got some TCS bronson's for my 26", so I'll have an idea of how they perform. I have a feeling I'll get that same tire for this wheelset. Glad to hear people are enjoying these wheels as much as I am.
    I made a noob mistake of setting my tubeless up the first time with a co2 cartridge which was un necessary. as i've read in other threads, the cold temps of the co2 cartridge can make the sealant booger up in pretty short order. I did a lot of tinkering early on with my wheels since this was my first foray into mtb and what I discovered when I got a flat that didn't seal up right away was that i had one big giant hunk of sealant in the tire, it almost looked like a friggin dildo!!!! but what it also showed me was that you don't need much sealant at all to make everything seat and stay airtight. Some people poo poo on tubeless because they say by the time you add sealant in you have added almost the same weight as a tube but in reality you can use a very very small amount of sealant just to make sure the bead and valve seal up and really dramatically reduce the weight in your wheels. Me personally, I run them with plenty of sealant because I do want the flat protection along with lower psi but if I were racing and wanted to lighten things up, I would change my approach.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    UPDATE: Stumbled across this thread and figured I'd post another update. My wheels are still going strong, haven't been riding all that much but haven't had any more issues with my rear hub. Very happy with these wheels and more and more I'm hearing about people buying the Frequency i23 rims to do wheel builds. IF you should come across someone selling these in the classifieds, don't hesitate. only drawback is the inability to convert them but at the prices these sold for, whoop de doo, still pretty easy to swap out a hub if need be.

mtbr member
    UPDATE: Stumbled across this thread and figured I'd post another update. My wheels are still going strong, haven't been riding all that much but haven't had any more issues with my rear hub. Very happy with these wheels and more and more I'm hearing about people buying the Frequency i23 rims to do wheel builds. IF you should come across someone selling these in the classifieds, don't hesitate. only drawback is the inability to convert them but at the prices these sold for, whoop de doo, still pretty easy to swap out a hub if need be.
    That's awesome! I just actually (finally) ordered some tubeless tires for these wheels. Going to stick with WTB, got the Bronson's. Hoping they may shave off some weight seeing how I have tubed nevegals on their now. Because these are on a SS, I've probably only put like 100 miles on them so far. Looking forward to running them tubeless! I am keeping an eye on the rear hub after your posting. Hope you get to ride more.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Another update: I moved to Tampa Fl last November and there are tons of trals around here. My road bike is gathering dust. Ive been putting these through the paces. Finally broke a spoke last night on the drive side. We have a lot of rooty trails and I'm on a short chain stay / slack head tube bike so there is a lot of weight over that back wheel. Hopefully I have the right length spoke kicking around the house. Otherwise I'm still happy with these wheels

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Another update: I moved to Tampa Fl last November and there are tons of trals around here. My road bike is gathering dust. Ive been putting these through the paces. Finally broke a spoke last night on the drive side. We have a lot of rooty trails and I'm on a short chain stay / slack head tube bike so there is a lot of weight over that back wheel. Hopefully I have the right length spoke kicking around the house. Otherwise I'm still happy with these wheels

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Have since broken spokes twice more. haven't really been riding much and I'm pretty sure it's the same spoke I'm breaking. I'm going to bite the bullet and take it to a shop and make sure I get the proper length spoke thrown in and probably a dt alpine or something of the like if I can't figure out exactly what kind of spokes they came with originally.

I really think the only problem is my yelli screamy and the short chain stay just puts so much damn weight over the rear wheel. Add to that that I am not exactly a finesse or skilled rider and they are taking a beating. Wheels have been nice and true once I've put new spoke back in them so hopefully I just need the right length spoke and I'll be good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    kind of just talking to myself at this point lol but i figure for historical purposes I'll review in case someone stumbles upon a set of these wheels. Front wheel is still going strong with no issues. Rear wheel broke 2 more spokes. In defense of the wheel, I did the spoke install and a quick half assed truing. finally, I got tired of spokes breaking on almost every ride, I know the tensions are all over the place and that is due to my half assed truing so I decided I would build up a new wheelset. I got 2 years of moderate riding out of these. I cut the hub out and the rear rim has a slight wobble. realistically, if I rebuilt with new spokes it would probably be fine but I think I will probably save it and relace the rim to a front hub to have a back up front wheel. the laser disc lite hub is a pretty lightweight hub and as long as American Classic continues to make those freehub bodies available, it is worth it to keep using that rear hub, it will build up a nice wheel. it is important to note that I haven't had any issues with the replacement freehub that has been sent.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Funny, I saw this thread. That American Classic rear hub spins FOREVER! Engagement is kind of slow after using Chris King hubs. Anyway, I trashed my front on a cars bumper (guy in car paid me for new front wheel, Fork, front Brake). I bought a set of Halo wheels for road rides on Singlespeed, Private message me if you want to buy my rear WTB Laser TCS Trail wheel. About $80. Problem would be shipping to Tampa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2