mtbr member

Woodman and Nashbar hubs really the same?

Has it been confirmed that these 2 hubs are exactly the same? I just bought a Nashbar SS disc hub for $39.99, and was looking to get a quick release axle from Woodman. After comparing pictures of the 2, I'm not positive they are the same, as the shell looks slightly different in the pictures. Also, the listed weights are very different, the Woodman at 460g and the Nashbar at 649g. I guess I should bring my hub to work and weigh it. Has anyone seem both of these hubs, or more improtantly, both axles, in person. As usual, any info is much appreciated.

Mark

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    Has it been confirmed that these 2 hubs are exactly the same? I just bought a Nashbar SS disc hub for $39.99, and was looking to get a quick release axle from Woodman. After comparing pictures of the 2, I'm not positive they are the same, as the shell looks slightly different in the pictures. Also, the listed weights are very different, the Woodman at 460g and the Nashbar at 649g. I guess I should bring my hub to work and weigh it. Has anyone seem both of these hubs, or more improtantly, both axles, in person. As usual, any info is much appreciated.

Mark

I thought it was On One = Novatech = Nashbar?

mtbr member
    According to Brant from On-One who actually designed the hub before Novatech et al. ripped off the design, all hubs are exact copies of the On-One version, even the cheesy dirt seal on the end.

Your bike sucks
    Looks like it. I have a NovaTech and bought the Woodman QR axle. I don't think you'll have a problem. Decent price, decent hub. Poor Brant.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. Carl, looks like you did exactly what I want to do, bought a woodman Q/R axle and installed it into a Novatech (in my case Nashbar) hub. Did it install without any problems? I actually just took the whole axle assembly apart last night, and it went apart pretty easily, and yes it has that cheesy dirt seal thing! I was thinking about machining it to accept a Q/R, but the Woodman axle costs $11.00 plus shipping, which is worth it to me, as long as I know it will fit. Thanks again, and I will post when I get it installed. I do feel for Brant, but I just can't pay 2.5X the price for the same part.

Mark

Your bike sucks
    Yeah, no problem. You've already performed the harder part - getting the old axle & bearings out. My rubber mallet didn't provide enough "whack" so I had to use a sand mallet. It's a no brainer.

mtbr member
    $39.99??? oh lord. I think we pay more than that.

Medium?

That's 21.25 quid.

if you buy a few and use a coupon. You should get a bunch and resell them. That'll teach 'em.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

$39 ?

Howdya get it for $39 bucks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Traktor
    Howdya get it for $39 bucks?
    Yeah, what he said.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by EvelMtber
    Yeah, what he said.
    A couple of weeks ago, Nashbar dropped the price down to $49, then they had a 20% off coupon. I was able to pick up Time Atac XS pedals for $62.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Yeah, what Drevil said. I was ordreing some Christmas presents from Nashbar anyway, and if you ordered over $100, everything was 20% off. I also ordered a X618 rim and will have my local builder build up the wheel. I also just ordered the Q/R axle from Woodman, so hopefully everything will fit together.

Mark

semi-evolved simian
    Quote Originally Posted by brant@on-one.co.uk
    $39.99??? oh lord. I think we pay more than that.
    Just saw this variation on a (your) theme:
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=2328

Only this time they've taken it to the other EXTREME and are charging $160, 'cos it's BOMBPROOF!!111!1

Your bike sucks
    I'm running this EXACT combo. x618 is a solid rim - 36H too. As mentioned earlier, my Novatec has the woodman qr axle. Everything seems bomber to me. I think you'll like it. Considering the rim and the hub's price - you have to give the nod to nashbar for deals on close-out items.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    Only this time they've taken it to the other EXTREME and are charging $160, 'cos it's BOMBPROOF!!111!1
    Too funny!! $160 is out of-this-world insane for that hub.

mtbr member
    Yeah, there are definately some great deals to be found in Nashbar's closeouts, although I do like to support my local shop as much as possible (which is quiet a bit)! Anyway, I'm hoping for a nice strong rear disc wheel. It won't be a featherweight, but hopefully I won't break it! Now i just need to find a front disc wheel, anyone have one lying around?

BTW: Carl I hope you get your chain-dropping issues figured out. I have been following your thread, and it sounds like a real bummer.