mtbr member

Wood fenders....?

Anybody know where I could find some wood fenders? I found some online at River City Bicycles but, they don't sell the online. They only sell them in the store which is in Portland, OR.

Have you seen any wood fenders in you SS searches?

BTW these will be going on my new SS cruiser project.

Thanks,

Gordon

34N 118W

seen em on Passion

search Old Passion (OP) for username "3G". He's the one that built that sweet Vanilla road/touring bike. He had wood fenders made for it and one of the posts may mention who did it. (or maybe he bought them, don't recall)

HW (still mostly in Lurk 'n Learn mode)

EDIT: looks like they were custom from Vanilla.
    http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...864@.ef9030a/2

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    Anybody know where I could find some wood fenders? I found some online at River City Bicycles but, they don't sell the online. They only sell them in the store which is in Portland, OR.

Thanks,

Gordon
    Last edited by Hollywood; 01-15-2004 at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member

Thanks Jeff....

Those are the same ones I found. I emailed the company to see if they will sell to my LBS. If not maybe I could get one of the Local Oregonites to pickup a set for me.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Gordon
    aka 82%

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

i have been making my own

i have been working on them for a long while now(since late summer) but that is only during the times when i am home from school. manufacturing the mounting hardware has been very time consuming. right now they are about ready for the final finishing coat. my uncle(used to be a wood worker) helped me with the making of the actual wood fender. they are turning out pretty nice and make my fixey look pretty stylish. the only think is i think i would be hard to set them up if i were running brakes. maybe i would just have to cut some relief areas for the brakes, dosen't worry me cuz i don't plan on running brakes anyway. i will post some pics soon. if you are interested i could probably sell(cover my costs) just the wood fender(w/ no mounting hardware or finish).

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_rider81
    i have been working on them for a long while now(since late summer) but that is only during the times when i am home from school. manufacturing the mounting hardware has been very time consuming. right now they are about ready for the final finishing coat. my uncle(used to be a wood worker) helped me with the making of the actual wood fender. they are turning out pretty nice and make my fixey look pretty stylish. the only think is i think i would be hard to set them up if i were running brakes. maybe i would just have to cut some relief areas for the brakes, dosen't worry me cuz i don't plan on running brakes anyway. i will post some pics soon. if you are interested i could probably sell(cover my costs) just the wood fender(w/ no mounting hardware or finish).

how do you do this? are they laminated strips of wood, bent and glued in place in a guide? or did you steam (or wet) and bend solid pieces?

cant wait for the pics- seems like a great project.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Momovelo has wood fenders also...

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel

Thanks,

Gordon

mtbr member

Good call Aosty...

They have a cool chain guard as well. Looks like they are both made by a company out of Denmark called Sogreni.

Thanks!

G

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

my fixey(wooden fenders)

as promised.... my fixey with the still unfinished fenders. i pretty much have the mounting done. however i still want to "shape" and polish the mounting arms. and the fenders need thier finishing coat. i made these from 6 vernier strips and then put them into a custom press to give them shape. i didn't lay the first one up really well and i warped( you might be able to see this in the pic, front fender) but i think i have it figured out now. if it bothers me too much i will just make a new one.
    too answer some q's. no it dosen't have brakes or handel bar tape or clipless pedals. gearing is 48*18. i ride this around town and too school(~3.5mi each way) like this every day for the past 2 years. i should have the fenders done by the time i go back to school on tues. and will try to get some better pics, albet in a better setting.
    peace
    Attached Images Attached Images

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Very nice job - I need some!