mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here. Winwood Purist Carbon Ridid Mountain Fork

I have an urge to build an ultralight SS, target weight sub 18lbs. I'm looking at the Juan Solo (carbon seat stay) and the Winwood carbon fork. Does anyone have experience with this fork and frame for that matter. I weigh about 185 and the trails around here have numerous rock gardens and log crossings. I don't jump off of things or do drops anymore but I do hop over smaller logs. Will this fork support my weight and riding style or is it a face plant waiting to happen? What is the largest tire it will allow?
    On a side note, this frame (18") & fork combination would weigh 5.16 lbs and only cost $990 (speedgoat.com).
    Thanks

Witty McWitterson
    Its essentailly the same design as the 'cross for they put, and that's been getting abused on the CX circut for a while now. I doubt you'd have any issues, but you should be aware that tire clearance is minimal and the hieight is short. In fact, I don't think its suspension adjusted. Bontrager is also going to be producing a Carbon rigid fork next year. Called it the switchblade. And it is corrected for a 100mm fork at sag. So say and 80mm fork and change. 900g wieght and $300. Not sure when it'll be available.
    Just a regular guy.