mtbr member
    Aug 2010

willing to try SS

I have a 2009 20" Giant Yukon
    It has SRAM 11-32 cassetter and a 22/32/42 chainring.
    I plan on getting my wife into trail riding by following so she doesn't get intimidated by trying to keep up.
    My question is, do I have a "gear" that would give me the feel of a good SS that I could try a few rides without shifting. Would that give me a sense of what its like to ride SS?

nothing to see here
    32 front, 16 or 18 rear, depending on how hilly your area is. Keep in mind it won't feel the same/smooth/efficient/quiet as a proper singlespeed, but will give you an idea of the gearing.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Do what I did, just find the gear that you can ride everything in. I went on about ten trips to my favorite spots and rode it like it was a SS: no shifting, even if I wanted to. Once I made the swap, I'm not looking back. It is hard to ask for people to tell you what gear ratio to use, it all depends on tire size, crankarm length, terrain, and more importantly...your stamina/endurance/riding style. Try riding your rig in only one gear and go from there.
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    thanks for the notes. I was half expecting an elitist response like "go make to your geary threads" and "if you aren't willing to commit to the switch, give up now"

To be more decisive wiht my experiment, would it be effective to remove my deralleurs and a few chain links? Am I asking for more experience than my rig will give me?

I am intrigued with this Nashbar 29'r SS for $350.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoDog
    thanks for the notes. I was half expecting an elitist response like "go make to your geary threads" and "if you aren't willing to commit to the switch, give up now"

To be more decisive wiht my experiment, would it be effective to remove my deralleurs and a few chain links? Am I asking for more experience than my rig will give me?

I am intrigued with this Nashbar 29'r SS for $350.
    Jenson also has the SE Stout for $350

No just put in in one gear and ride it for a while. Gee you could even change a gear in the field to try that too. A ratio of 2 to 1 as suggested (32:16) is a good starting point. If you live in a hilly area maybe 32:18 might be better. If you like one gear buy a single speed. You have to get used to never being in the right gear. You will suffer going up hills and spin out on the flats. You just have to learn to accept this new style of riding.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Nope, you need to figure out which gear ratio you are going to like. So for now, just ride. Give it a couple weeks of riding the same gear so you know that's what you want. Then convert it over using the same gear ratio and ride some more.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

beware the grammar police
    one of my buddies rides a 29er vassago that he built *(nice bike but out my price range at 1475$)....... but he loves it.... i am considering building one but it will be MUCH cheaper...

i have a SS city bike i run around on.... totally different thing but the SS has less stuff to break....

Low Rep Count
    Just ride!

I wish I would have done that myself. I didn't go much over the top when I tried it out over a year ago. I did the Performance SS kit but since I was running a pinned front chainring it would jump pretty quick. I then ended up pulling it off and putting the gears back on. I picked up my GT SS this spring, then tore my old ride apart and built up my wifes first bike. Haven't look back yet.

I started with a 32/18. I live in MD and we have some spots that honestly need gears but the trails I ride are perfect for SS imo. I swapped out to a 32/16 yesterday and it was a little more challenging but I survived. It will be a good gear to race on this up coming year but plan on swapping back to my 18 for winter riding.

Dive Bomber
    It's easiest to do it slowly.

Try only one speed and never shift for about one week, at first it might too heavy or even too spinny but with practice you'll become stronger and you body will learn the efficient way of riding by instinc .

You'll be stronger trust me, which makes you want add or reduce the theeth - this is where you have to decide to stay or change the ratio.

mtbr member
    Don't do it!
    Converting to SS this spring has made me a rabid animal. All I think about is riding SS now. I miss all the confusion I used to have fumbling for the right gear for each hill. I miss the clack clack sound of the chain skipping over my cassette from my misadjusted derailleur. And I absolutely hate having to wait for my friends on their full squish rigs at the top of each hill.

Low Rep Count
    Well said. I really do miss all those things. I will add that riding the SS with the wife will still give you a decent workout as well. It will be a great oportunity for you to try it out. I will suggest however, that you get ahead of her when the hills come or you may very well be walking up it with her. I say that because my wife walks up alot of the stuff I power right over right now. But she is coming along. I'm sure she won't mind you waiting for her at the top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_
    Don't do it!
    Converting to SS this spring has made me a rabid animal. All I think about is riding SS now. I miss all the confusion I used to have fumbling for the right gear for each hill. I miss the clack clack sound of the chain skipping over my cassette from my misadjusted derailleur. And I absolutely hate having to wait for my friends on their full squish rigs at the top of each hill.
    Sarcasm is your friend

Man up
    Sep 2010
    I noticed that on a group ride Saturday morning. They were giving me crap because I had to pump ahead of them on the hills. I told them they didn't understand, if I went any slower I'd fall over I think they were jealous.
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all the tips. we just picked up her new bike today. Women's Giant Revel... Pink rims and all. I think I will still stay behind, just fall back considerable so I can attack the hills... of course, we are in oklahoma, so it is only slightly less hilly than.... oh... maybe your 11 year old little sister. (sorry, was that out of bounds?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoDog
    . of course, we are in oklahoma, so it is only slightly less hilly than.... oh... maybe your 11 year old little sister. (sorry, was that out of bounds?)
    This metaphor FTW.

Dive Bomber
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_134
    I noticed that on a group ride Saturday morning. They were giving me crap because I had to pump ahead of them on the hills. I told them they didn't understand, if I went any slower I'd fall over I think they were jealous.
    Jesse
    They don't understand what momentum is, what a poor riders.

This thing happen to me too, they think I want to show off with my tiny single speed chainring and cog. If I don't pump I have to walk because I'll lost the momentum and it's just a wasted of energy if I run in low RPM since I am spinner/cadence type.

I am faster because I don't have unnecessary expensive parts which make my bike lighter. Cheaper means lighter which make you go faster, it's just a simple logic right?

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm late to the party, but I think the most important thing in learning how to be a SSer is to learn how to walk with your bike. It can be killer on narrow trails.

Dive Bomber
    SS is about use your thumb only for thumbs up.

<--- like this