mtbr member

Wider vs. Barends

I've done a search on here and read a couple threads already but nothing covered my dilemma one hundred percent. Was running a Ritchey 580mm flat bar. Went back to my 660 1.5" riser bar (Sette cheapo stuff that looses its paint if a moth lands on it). On a short commute uphill the riser bar was more comfortable/better control and allowed for better acceleration. However, on the return trip downhill I was unable to get anywhere near my typical speeds I've been getting lately, I've blamed this on the poorer aerodynamics. So... ladies and gentlemen... do I go with a wide but flat bar (660 is as wide as I like it) or just throw some barends on the Ritchey? Also to note- the Ritcheys had their slightly less than comfortable foam grips and the Sette had nice-ish plush Oury grips. Was also looking at Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 with 8mm rise/600mm width as a possible carbon-bling compromise.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    I highly doubt the bars made that much of a difference in your aerodynamics. Were you on dirt or pavement? Fireroad or singletrack? Techy? If you feel that you're sitting too far upright and can't get into a full tuck, maybe play with your steer tube spacer stack height?

mtbr member
    This was pavement on my Surly 1x1 that sees 80% road 20% dirt. I'm not competitive and I take it real nice and slow off-road for the most part. But buzzing around town I want to maintain best possible speeds with optimum acceleration. With the Setter bars I found it noticeably more difficult to hold a good speed on long flat stretches or downhill. I was able to accelerate up to speed but it dropped rapidly. I was not fatigued. Tire pressure was fine. So I don't know what else to blame but wind resistance. I only have 10mm to play with on my stem so it's not like I can lower it enough to compromise. I've been playing with weirwolf LT front and back (soon to come off til Spring hits), which isn't the quickest tire but it was still easier for me to maintain speed with the shorter flat bars.

mtbr member
    I run very wide bars (660mm riser) with bar ends. I like the feeling of them being wide, but also like having the bar ends if I ever need them.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...