Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

WI Eno crank and BB suggestions

I have a WI ENO single speed crank coming, and am looking to buy a comparable bb. I see they sell a nice bb, but am wondering about a Phil Wood regular or outboard bb. I am not a big guy or masher, and the Jabber it's going on it stiff. Any suggestions (JIS taper for bb)? Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a WI BB to go along with my crank and it works wonderful.

singletrack bound
    this is what I have been using on my jabber and it has worked flawlessly.

shimano bb-un54
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WI Eno crank and BB suggestions-oct-17-2010-first-rain-ride-028.jpg  

mtbr member
    You'll need a square taper BB, so forget about an external-bearing BB. The Shimano UN-54 is inexpensive and durable, but a bit heavy. Phil is nice, but pricey and requires a propiertary tool to install. the Phil is also a little finicky if your BB shell isn't perfect. IRD makes a relatively lightweight BB that spins fast and has a good price, but if you ride a lot I doubt you'll get 2 full seasons out of it. Origin 8 is making affordable ST BB's as well, though I've never used one so I can't speak to the durability.

Personally, I like the IRD. http://store.interlocracing.com/bobrisandsqt.html
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    WI cranks have a very narrow chain line. I just installed one on a friends bike. He is using a Pauls hub. To get the chain line even close we had to go with a 125mm spindle. For the record he went with a Phil BB. and to get it installed right you have to chase the BB threads (special tool) and you should use 2 Phil Wood BB cup tools. You get the chain line right with the crank arm installed then remove the arm and tighten the 2 cups at the same time. I also installed a lock ring on the Phil BB they don't come with them so you have to improvise.

Tim

meatier showers
    I've used Shimano BB-UN54 and IRD Quad55 square taper BBs for years... still waiting for one to fail. For my purposes they are interchangeable.

CambriaBike.com has the UN54 for $12-20 depending on spindle length & shell width. Best deal out there IMO.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?Item=100026922

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    I run an ENO crank with a Phil Wood BB and I have had nothing but trouble free riding. I like the Phil Wood as you can tweek the chainline ir you need to.
    Nobody will hurt you more than yourself

mtbr member
    I run an ENO crank with a Phil Wood BB and I have had nothing but trouble free riding. I like the Phil Wood as you can tweek the chainline if you need to.
    Nobody will hurt you more than yourself

mtbr member
    Phil bottom brackets kick ass. You can adjust the chainline, which I don't think you can do with any other square taper. Plus it will last longer than your mind.

Old school BMXer
    My wife and I both have WI cranks on our singlespeeds. She has the PW BB, and I have the WI BB. But since we've only been using them for four months, I can't really comment. Both seem to be good choices.
    May the air be filled with tires!

Tree Thumper
    I have a phil wood in my santa cruz (not a SS). It works flawlessly and is not as hard to install as people are making it sound. Just have to be mindful of chainline. I will be running another middleburn phil wood combo in my next bike
    ~JPB

"Loud Hubs Save Lives"

meatier showers
    Here's the deal with BBs... you can spend a little or you can spend a lot, but you won't feel much difference in performance. In fact, you won't feel any difference in performance. The weight savings between a PW BB and a UN54 probably isn't worth the difference in price (if there even is any weight savings with the PW). Adjustable chainline isn't necessary -- buy the correct spindle length. And as for bling factor, unless you tell people what BB you're running, you're the only one who'll know you spent so much for a virtually invisible component that performs no better than one that costs 1/5th as much. Finally, while it's true that a PW BB will last a looooong time, I'll bet the farm my UN54 will last as long (already has)... but even if it doesn't (which it will), I can buy 4 more and still have paid less than the cost of one PW.

Sorry to tell it like it is, but IMO PW BBs are for folks who don't know better &/or suffer insecurity issues.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Tree Thumper
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Here's the deal with BBs... you can spend a little or you can spend a lot, but you won't feel much difference in performance. In fact, you won't feel any difference in performance.
    probably true

The weight savings between a PW BB and a UN54 probably isn't worth the difference in price (if there even is any weight savings with the PW).
    un54 is 313 grams. My PW is 155 grams

Adjustable chainline isn't necessary -- buy the correct spindle length.
    true

And as for bling factor, unless you tell people what BB you're running, you're the only one who'll know you spent so much for a virtually invisible component that performs no better than one that costs 1/5th as much. Finally, while it's true that a PW BB will last a looooong time, I'll bet the farm my UN54 will last as long (already has)... but even if it doesn't (which it will), I can buy 4 more and still have paid less than the cost of one PW.
    I don't ride anything for the bling factor. I ride one because they work and they are rock solid. If it works, is light, and I don't have to tinker with it.... It's worth it to me

Sorry to tell it like it is, but IMO PW BBs are for folks who don't know better &/or suffer insecurity issues.

--sParty
    I also suffer from penis envy
    ~JPB

"Loud Hubs Save Lives"

singletrack bound
    what's the $$$ difference?
    Sorrel Seeker !!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbova

un54 is 313 grams. My PW is 155 grams

Okay... that's over 1/3 of a pound lighter for the PW. Serious enough weight savings to justify paying plenty more. I surrender.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Tree Thumper
    un54 - 313 grams - $20
    PW ti & magnesium - 145 grams - $272
    PW ti - 155 grams - $180
    PW steel - 215 grams - $120
    ~JPB

"Loud Hubs Save Lives"

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone
    what's the $$$ difference?
    $12-20 for the UN54.
    ~$100 for the PW.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

singletrack bound
    I had a friend sheer off the non drive side of a carbon FSA BB. he said never again.
    Sorrel Seeker !!

meatier showers
    un54 - 313 grams - $20
    PW ti - 155 grams - $180
    So it becomes a dollar-to-gram priority decision. This makes sense; many riders are willing to spend hundreds of dollars to save a few grams/ounces. This weight is not rotating weight (I mean... really) and it's low in the frame so the weight savings here is not a critical as say, wheels or pedals but it is still a serious amount of weight to save -- nearly 5.6 oz.

UN54 = $20
    PW ti = $180
    Price difference = $160
    Weight difference ~5.6 oz.
    This is about $28.60 per oz. -- not a bad price to pay for weight reduction. Many riders are willing to pay far more.

Priorities, priorities.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Tree Thumper
    "about a dollar per gram"

It sounds like we are talking about drugs
    ~JPB

"Loud Hubs Save Lives"

mtbr member
    I was thinking about buying one of the PW's but I think I've decided to just stick with my UN54, I guess if you have the lightest of everything else on your bike (which I don't) then this might be the last piece to the puzzle, but otherwise it's pointless...for me at least. Plus, I can haul ass on my not so WW bike anyway!

mtbr member
    un54 - 313 grams - $20
    PW ti - 155 grams - $180
    Do the Phil Wood numbers above include the additional cost/weight of the cups?
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

Tree Thumper
    without the cups. claimed weight of the cups is 11 grams actual weight 13 grams

I believe the total actual weight of a PW ti with the cups 68/73 113mm is 163 grams. There was a thread on this a couple of weeks back
    Last edited by jpbova; 10-26-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    ~JPB

"Loud Hubs Save Lives"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The WI Ti has been serving me well with my Enos.

mtbr member
    For me it has nothing to do with weight. I bought a Phil bb because I was going through UN72s, then UN54s once the former were not available anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast