Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm developing a love-hate relationship with my SS. I love it when I'm out on a trail but when I'm riding pavement to and from my destination I start getting doubt: maybe I should get a higher gear ratio, maybe I should've gone geared?

I know it's all my fault. I don't have a car right now and in general just love riding and exploring. Sometimes a mountain bike makes more sense for that than my geared road bike as I'm more likely to go further when the path gets rough. But yeah, long boring stretches of pavement can make me crazy sometimes...

Maybe the solution is to get another bike... Oh dear...

meow, meow.
    Cools, it's possible to do a 2 gear ratio SS bike (dinglespeed) where you manually set the chain to either of gears, and required chain length is the same for both. It takes 2 chainrings in front and something like White Industries ENO DOS in the rear.

White industries DOS ENO freewheel

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hmm... I remember reading about that. Thanks for remind me! I'm guessing I can replace the bash-guard with a larger ring and I can already fit more than 1 cog on the rear hub (Sun Ringlé Dirty Flea SS).

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    You probably need a taller gear, but let me elaborate on the dinglespeed. I have one bike set up with 32-34 in front and 20-18 in back (29er with a 26er you would want 2 less teeth on the rears or 1 more on the fronts to be equal). You have to set the chain tension on the big ring because it will always be less on the smaller ring (more chain wrap on the 34-18 than on the 32-20). Also, since there is less tension on the smaller ring, make sure it is a true SS ring like a Niner or Surley with the large tooth profile. Otherwise, as it wears just a little it will derail on hard efforts. All you have to do to change ratios is loosen the rear qr and drop the wheel about 3/4 inch and back pedal the chain to the right rings and then let the bike drop back onto the axle and tighten the QR and you are on your way. I use this as a Spring bike since by the middle of the season I am riding 34-18 in the woods. I can start out on the low gear and do several laps and then switch to the tall gear for the last lap. That gets me in shape for my other bikes. Also, use it when camping and use the tall gear around the roads and the low gear in the woods if it is muddy or early season.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Was asked this exact question on tonight's ride. My reply: "Because I like it".

Despite my answer upthread, that sums it up for me.
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well from going from bmx in my teens, to a geared mtb and then to a ss mtb. I feel very at home with the ss mtb, gears just don't make sense to me for my idea of mountain riding. I always had an issue with my geared mtb, something to tweak something to fix. Ive had this ss for almost 3 weeks now and I've beaten it almost every day rain or shine. Not one problem, and this is on a cheapo gravity rigid fork with a brake upgrade.

Sure, the ss kicks my ass..I imagine as I get more and more accustomed to it and how to utilize my power more efficiently it will be unbeatable for me. I plow by geared riders, though im definitely working harder.

Cant say I would like a ss road bike though, seems far too limited for speed. I love trying to keep up with cars. I also dont have the issue of parts failing on my 1990 giant quasar, its a heavy and bullet proof and doesnt deal with pesky rocks and sticks getting places they shouldn't.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'll chime in on this thread. For me, what what I love about riding a SS is that it takes me back to my childhood years of just riding a bike to have fun. I grew up riding BMX bikes in the 70's, and I rode them everywhere - trails, race tracks, to school, on family camping trips. I practically lived on my bike. The bikes were simple and a blast to ride. Fast forward to my mid-40's and I find myself seeking the same kind of simple enjoyment on a bike. Nothing to break, nothing to adjust, nothing clanking around - just pedal to your heart's content with one gear. I got sick of riding the same trails around here on geared bikes, but a SS makes them fun again. I've owned everything from 50 lb. DH bikes to ultralight XC race bikes and everything in between, but nothing puts a grin on my face like riding a SS bike. In fact, it's time to stop waxing poetic and go riding!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Because... I ride mostly by myself, and gears makes it too easy. A little suffering is a good thing. It will make you 1) climb better 2) brake less 3) find smoother lines 4) pump more - use your body.

Anything to keep the momentum. It will make you a better rider.

meow, meow.
    Since I went to riding SS exclusively I have noticed that now I choose going for a ride over having sex about 9 times out of 10, with gears it was more like 50-50. More fun with my baggies on..

Cif
    mtbr member
    I have a very nice (but flat) forest near me. In the past I took the car and rode 70 - 100kms south to get some hills with my geared bike.

Now I just step on the single speed and find myself having serious fun 5k from home on terain that was boring as hell on the geared bike.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Pedal Damn It!
    What's with all the hate from the Full Suspension guys these days? I ride a Niner One9 Rigid Singlespeed on trails most guys won't ride without a FS bike. It just drives me crazy hearing about it all the time. I do love getting out there and hauling up the hills while the FS guys are spinning away at 0.0035 MPH up hill. I love my rigid SS. I may change out to a shock fork one day. A good friend of mine just doesn't get it and continues to doubt why I love riding SS. I can't wait for the day he finally moves out here to Oregon so I can show him how great SS bikes are.

mtbr member
    When I got a single speed i never took the Heckler out again.. I always had more fun on the Redline. Now I have a geared pugs - but the lure of turning it into a single speed is very strong...

For me the thing I like best is No slopy shifting. I hate it when I shift and do not get instant feedback. I have had the Dinglespeed - and used the 42 X 16 on the road and the 32 X 21 in the dirt. Good stuff.
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm hooked. Riding partner turned me on to SS. I picked up a slightly used Kona unit this week despite never riding a SS. Whole different dynamic to my rigid 26". I can honestly say I had a lot more fun today and worked harder while doing it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Going SS only is the best thing i ever did. Sold all my geared gear! Never looked back

meow, meow.
    In the process of selling the geared parts here too.. would build a narrow freehub 1x7 on Shimano 10-speed rear, narrow-wide teeth ring front anyway these days if I was really interested in a geared bike.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Weinerts View Post
    When I got a single speed i never took the Heckler out again.. I always had more fun on the Redline. Now I have a geared pugs - but the lure of turning it into a single speed is very strong...

For me the thing I like best is No slopy shifting. I hate it when I shift and do not get instant feedback. I have had the Dinglespeed - and used the 42 X 16 on the road and the 32 X 21 in the dirt. Good stuff.
    ss the heckler.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    here's a little blog post I wrote about the performance benefits of riding SS compared to a power meter for road riding, with a dash of humor thrown in. I may have used a few four and five letter words while writing this and a lot of it is basic stuff pretty much anyone who has ridden SS knows...but hey, check it out anyway. Share it with your friends who don't SS and want to get faster and be better riders, call me names in the comments section, whatever.

Suffering, Sweating, and Smiling: Confessions of an Ultra-Endurance Cyclist: Singlespeed Mountain Biking: Like a Power Meter, Except Rad

mtbr member
    why do I ride a SS? It's fun. It's quiet. It's easy to maintain. It tears up the trails here in the Pisgah National Forest...Not quite like my big old dual suss USED to, but in it's own way. It makes me feel like I've had to work for a ride. It tears at my lungs on a big climb ride. It ridicules me when I'm having an "off" day. It rewards me when I'm in the zone. And it never fails to kick my a$$, regardless of what kind of shape I'm in. I don't ride to prove anything. I don't ride to be the next KOM on strava. I ride to enjoy it. And my SS always brings a smile to my face. Beer seems to taste better after a long ride on the SS. Sometimes in the middle of a long ride. Even my wife can tell when I've been riding the SS exclusively. I'm no spring chicken, but it does really increase my fitness... Probably because I can't wait to get back out on it again...and just RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    I trail rode a SS for the first time today and I liked it. It wasn't the longest ride, but it was fairly proper and the bike wasn't exactly a perfect fit. But to paraphrase a friend of mine: "it was kinda like stroking left handed- awkward, but still very enjoyable".

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1171 View Post
    "it was kinda like stroking left handed- awkward, but still very enjoyable".
    Well, my personal experience tells SS vs geared is more different than that..
    26" faithful.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24