Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010
    Where did the SS FAQ's go? I do not see them anywhere. Any Ideas? They were a nice resource.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    I love the quietness of the ride and that I really have nothing to blame but me and my fat a$$ if I can't make it up a hill

I learned how to ride on a SS way back. My dad assembled a red cruiser for me when I was a kid. This was before cassettes. I complained a lot about the huge crank and having the smallest sprocket since it was really, really, really hard to pedal. No one liked riding my cruiser except me. The other kids liked each other's bikes so much and swapped a lot. LOL!

But to be honest it seems more efficient to pedal than smaller cranks and larger sprockets. Thing is our street ran uphill. I had a 12T sprocket if I'm not mistaken, and the crank was as big as china ware.

I'm currently on the build. Still an SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Big shout out to the owner of our LBS anyways. I got a set of 2 cogs (12T and 18T) plus 2 spacers and a lock ring from Da Bomb single conversion kit last week and I rang her earlier to ask on cassettes that sold separately as I thought I'd have a problem using 8/9 speed chains with the single cog. She could have sold me a cassette and made extra on my purchase but she actually informed me that the single cogs I got with the kit will accommodate the usual 8/9 speed chains.

That made my day!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I singlespeed in Santa Cruz and my geared friend calls me crazy, but hey, im right on his ass during every climb

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by majurglery View Post
    I singlespeed in Santa Cruz and my geared friend calls me crazy, but hey, im right on his ass during every climb
    wet as holy hell there now

the sandy bits should finally be packed down though

see ya on the trails
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    wet as holy hell there now

the sandy bits should finally be packed down though

see ya on the trails
    I know, Ive been itching to get out there, but it looks like I still have some waiting to do

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I haven't had a singlespeed since my old bmx bike... but I'll admit I've had a guy on a SS blow right past me on climb... its embarrassing... i'm in a granny gear...

makes me want to at least try SS and see whats it all about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Another SS success story...

A friend of mine is a bike commuter but had never really tried mountain biking. I have a few extra mountain bikes so we hit the local park with him riding an ancient santa cruz heckler. At one point it was a great bike but the hydraulics are now squishy, suspension like a non-damped pogo stick, worn drive train, stictioned derailer cables, etc. But he had so much fun that the next day he was looking to get a bike for cheap.

My advice was to forget the sporting-good store cheapo bikes and instead get a used single speed. The reasoning was, with a budget of $400, he could get a decent single speed rather than a new piece of crap. Less components means that the budget is split between fewer things. He ended up finding a SS bianchi locally on craig's list. An old 140mm marz air fork, avid speed dial levers with BB7 calipers. Not a bad setup for the terrain around here.

The good news is that he loves it. The first time out on this bike he only went over the bars once. He went home with one break lever broken off from the crash but was able to pick one up for cheap at a LBS. The next time out he started playing on all the log piles and stunts, never caring if he slipped off sideways. On a geared bike, he would have ripped the derailer off at least 3 times on that ride. But instead he was able to keep riding and playing on stunts.

So there you go, for $400 a new mountain biker was born. He's riding an indestructible steel single speed and loving it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Many of the local trails are fast and flowy, comprised of 50 - 100' climbs followed by the same in decent. My riding style in these trails left me most often using a 32/20 combo. The trails are fairly sandy which would greatly advance the wear of a single gear - causing me to replace the entire cassette and chain. This adds up when you are doing it twice per year. After replacing two cassettes and chains in one season, I decided to get a single speed for riding the local trails. I now try to ride it anywhere I can - and more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CRFed_surfer View Post
    running wider bars with a SS helps a bunch.. i stand up alot and pull on the bars every which way to get the most power down. plus it opens up your arms for better breathing.
    I agree.. got the 780mm boobar myself. Wider bars just makes things extra easier to handle. Plus its hard to enjoy a ride if you stick on the saddle most of the time.

mtbr member
    Single speed is fun; I have been SSing for 3 seasons now and it has made me a stronger rider. But I have come to the conclusion that SS is a novelty.

If I had to have only one bike it wouldn't be a SS. While I don't think one needs 27 or 30 gears, having only one really limits what you can ride.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    Single speed is fun; I have been SSing for 3 seasons now and it has made me a stronger rider. But I have come to the conclusion that SS is a novelty.

If I had to have only one bike it wouldn't be a SS. While I don't think one needs 27 or 30 gears, having only one really limits what you can ride.
    The same could be said about just about every type of bike. They're all novelties because they all limit what you can ride. My downhill bike isn't useful anywhere but at lift access resorts. My road bike limits me to the road. My trail bikes prevents me from dirt jumping and downhilling. Etc.

What really matters is what type of riding someone does most. That determines what is the best single bike to have, if you are to have just one bike. For some people, a single speed meets that criteria best. For others it doesn't.

I primarily ride single speed because it works best for my local parks. Hilly, rocky, muddy, rooty, lot's of log stunts and no straight level sections where low gearing is an issue. Around here you are either mashing up a hill while standing or bombing down the other side while dodging trees and rocks. Single speeds work great.

mtbr member
    Singlespeed is great because it's simple and quiet. All I can hear going down the trail is my big balloony tires bouncing over everything

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a Cannondale comfort hybrid that I wasn't riding very often so I converted it to a SS. I have other bikes with gears so wanted something different.

mtbr member
    Been riding an SS for about 6 months and cannot see myself going back to gears. Went out with my son on Sunday, he's a fit 15 yr old and I am not, but left him on the climbs and he only passed me on the flats/downhill tracks where I spin out. But the best bit was listening to him crunch through gears over and over to get just the right one for that track. Then the inevitable chain suck, gear mis selection and accompanying language that would make his Mum blush!

I ride SS for simplicity, lightness and because I am riding all the same trails but much better than I ever used to on my full susser.Since I started SS riding has gone from a small band of "oddballs" to most of my riding mates having one in the shed/garage.

But the best bit of all is that they can be built for next to nothing. With the UK mags advertising the latest bikes at c3k or $5K, building one for less than 200 or $300 makes me a very happy man. (I'm from Yorkshire - renown for people who are "careful" with money!)
    Roger is a verb not a noun.
    Kona Cindercone Singlespeed
    Corratec Team Bow Singlespeed Project
    My blog
    My job

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    In (my) order of importance...

Quiet, all I hear is rubber on dirt.

Simplicity, I just turn the pedals, no thinking about front & rear derailleurs, timing my shifts, etc. just ride.

Reliable, less to clean, maintain, break.

Makes me stronger rider, I can go anaerobic and stay there longer than my geared buddies.

cdouble
    http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"Suffering has a luminous beauty, and cleanses the mind in much the same way a wildfire clears an overgrown forest."
    - Mike Ferrentino

"Art is suffering"
    - Squidward Tentacles
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My love for singlespeed comes from a childhood problem.
    Back when I was around 8 years old I had a BMX bike and loved it alot, one day my mom decided I needed something better, sold my BMX and bought a geared mountain bike, it was a bright orange Caloi with 6 speeds. That mountain bike never worked properly, and it'd spend most of its time collecting dust, which made me hate gears.
    I've been in love with the simplicity of singlespeed bikes ever since, I am the only person in town riding a single mountain bike, everyone crazy about the latest lightest gear and they think I'm crazy for not having gears, and they get amazed when I'm able to climb in front of them.
    I ride everywhere everyday, rain or shine and I like a simple reliable bike.

mtbr member
    My love with singlespeeding has just started and I don't know why it hasn't been sooner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

single speed convert

I have been riding mountain bikes for 27 years and always wondered why guys were riding single speed. I have raced against them in cross country races, cycle cross races and see them around. So, I just built my first single speed and now understand why. I am addicted! The bike is amazing, Santa Cruz Highball Carbon, with singulator, easton carbon wheels and weighs 19.5 pounds. Besides that, I have so much fun riding it. I am selling my 26" full suspension bike at the moment. Try it! You will love it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    SS rules. I'm a new convert. It is more effort but gives you more back. Great for an upper body workout too. Can't understand why it took me so long to discover it...

mtbr member
    Thoughts on a frame. Would this Diamond Back frame make a good SS trail bike?
    It is a Hybrid Frame. Not sure how much abuse it can handle.
    Sorry about posting here but as you can see by my post count i'm a noob on this site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why singlespeed? (Also see the SS FAQ - Stickied at top of thread list)-5n25ge5m83j43n83h4c5nac8197f709de1e47.jpg  

Last edited by gmmeyerIII; 05-23-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: left potent info out

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I get fond memory's of comin off the training wheels when talkn about single speed.

If I could still show you the first bike that I had without training wheels it would look as if someone placed it on its side onto concrete and and pulled it by its handlebars while someone else pressed the frame while they pulled.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was never sure of the hype around SS. Been racing road and mtb for many years and always thought why would I not want any gears.....until I got on a SS. It will change your life!!! You may not go as fast is some guys but it is super fun and rewarding when you have pushed and pulled to get up a climb and everyone else was sitting in their granny gears.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I got my ss because i couldnt afford a fancy bike...$650 bucks and have a race ready rig...you never know how much power you are losing with suspension until you go rigid...every calorie you burn goes straight to the ground...has been one of my favorite bikes ever

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    and you cant beat the quiet/tight feeling ride..but my trails are very smooth and fast...

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast