Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    jct
    mtbr member

another for less maintenance

i'm a tinkerer by fault.

this year i purchased a 2011 giant anthem X 29er X2. great bike and plenty of stuff to wrench on, clean, lube etc.

during the summer, i built up a rigid jabberwocky which turned into my main ride. i sold the giant last week.

now when i'm in my shop with bike in the stand, i realize that i just don't have much to do!

chain tension...check
    tire pressure....sure
    brake rub...as long as i don't hear it while i'm pedaling, no problem

that's about it...

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i'm a tinkerer by fault.

this year i purchased a 2011 giant anthem X 29er X2. great bike and plenty of stuff to wrench on, clean, lube etc.

during the summer, i built up a rigid jabberwocky which turned into my main ride. i sold the giant last week.

now when i'm in my shop with bike in the stand, i realize that i just don't have much to do!

chain tension...check
    tire pressure....sure
    brake rub...as long as i don't hear it while i'm pedaling, no problem

that's about it...
    I have been in the process of gathering parts to switch my El Mariachi from SS to a 1x9.
    initially, it was a fun process selecting parts and getting a rear wheel build but each time I rode my SS it was so quiet and smooth riding I just love it. Now I find out I will need a chain keeper to keep my chain from dropping off my 36T white industries chainring and honestly.....I'm beginning to become a bit disenchanted with this whole process and wondering why I thought I needed to do this anyway!

I may be backing out on this deal after all. SS @ heart.

K.I.S.S. right?
    Sorrel Seeker !!

meow, meow.
    Tone No Balone,
    I guess it's because first-hand experience with complexity is sometimes required so that we learn to value simplicity more.

PS
    I've been reading this thread for quite a while.
    26" faithful.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    I have been in the process of gathering parts to switch my El Mariachi from SS to a 1x9.
    initially, it was a fun process selecting parts and getting a rear wheel build but each time I rode my SS it was so quiet and smooth riding I just love it. Now I find out I will need a chain keeper to keep my chain from dropping off my 36T white industries chainring and honestly.....I'm beginning to become a bit disenchanted with this whole process and wondering why I thought I needed to do this anyway!

I may be backing out on this deal after all. SS @ heart.

K.I.S.S. right?
    who builds your wheels around SC?

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    who builds your wheels around SC?
    PM'ed
    Sorrel Seeker !!

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by UBUgoat View Post
    chain watch is not a big deal. i have one on one of my last 'geared' bikes (cx 1x9)....but i find more problems and vagaries with the 1x9...i only use 3-4 of those during races. at this level of addiction, the ideal (not cost effective) solution is to have a small stable of ss bikes for all possible terrains and conditions
    My thoughts are on a similar line here. keep the SS and build @ 1x9
    Or not.......
    Sorrel Seeker !!

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Tone No Balone,
    I guess it's because first-hand experience with complexity is sometimes required so that we learn to value simplicity more.

PS
    I've been reading this thread for quite a while.
    Hey Psycho......Very well said....very well said.....
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    chain watch is not a big deal. i have one on one of my last 'geared' bikes (cx 1x9)....but i find more problems and vagaries with the 1x9...i only use 3-4 of those during races. at this level of addiction, the ideal (not cost effective) solution is to have a small stable of ss bikes for all possible terrains and conditions

mtbr member
    yeah, until i mutate into an animal, i do wonder about racing cyclocross on an ss rig....depends on the course (of course!)...ideally, a 1x4...! racing ss in xc races was ideal.

maybe in the future, an internal hub that's LIGHT and provides 3 singlespeed options: 32x20, 32x18 and 32x16

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

yes

cause its down right fun!

SRAM...Shimano who cares?
    Dec 2011
    I just really like riding bikes and I couldn't pass up a deal on two wheels so here I am!

~JRA

Jenson USA
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by UBUgoat View Post
    yeah, until i mutate into an animal, i do wonder about racing cyclocross on an ss rig....depends on the course (of course!)...ideally, a 1x4...! racing ss in xc races was ideal.

maybe in the future, an internal hub that's LIGHT and provides 3 singlespeed options: 32x20, 32x18 and 32x16
    Hate to break it to ya, but "3 singlespeed options" ain't singlespeed!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TruTone View Post
    Hate to break it to ya, but "3 singlespeed options" ain't singlespeed!
    i know.....that's why i am still in the molting stage of 100% ss mutation.....! xc, yes.....cx, soon

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I road a geared bike for the first couple of years but I got sick of adjusting derailleurs and having them get ripped off after a hard crash. I really like the simplicity of a single speed, it's durable and maintenance free. Going over bumps is more efficient when you have more speed while climbing, the single speed forces you to gather momentum when climbing which in turn helps you get over the terrain. I also ride a rigid fork, it's just more predictable and enables me to really feel the ground during cornering, not to mention the fact that it ultimately forces you to choose better lines and develop an eye for finding the smoothest one. I used to ride a conversion but recently built of a 29er with eccentric BB and I love the power curve of the bigger wheels, the momentum gathered when you get up to speed really makes a difference, and having a bigger contact patch in the rear really helps when hammering up a hill..single speed for me is way more fun..I love hammering past people climbing on their fancy full suspension bikes that are 3-4 times more expensive than mine. I always find it funny when other riders ask me if I can adjust their derailleur at the top...I can, but that is one reason why I don't use them, i hate breaking out tools on the trail. people told me I would eventually want a full susp. geared so that I can do the rougher trails with big climbs, instead I bought a rigid fork and built another SS, I climb 4000+ ft on any given day and do the same trails I used to do with my geared bike..I love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why singlespeed? (Also see the SS FAQ - Stickied at top of thread list)-img_1035.jpg  

Why singlespeed? (Also see the SS FAQ - Stickied at top of thread list)-img_1031.jpg  

Why singlespeed? (Also see the SS FAQ - Stickied at top of thread list)-img_2140.jpg  

Why singlespeed? (Also see the SS FAQ - Stickied at top of thread list)-img_2141.jpg  

mtbr member
    Lately I'm on a singlespeed on every ride. It's just fun to ride. Momentum gained by not braking (when I normally would have touched the brakes) or momentum lost and the price you pay on the following climb or slow grind. Same old trail with new lines and challenges. Pain and reward, I enjoy and appreciate both.

Reasons I hear from others that don't apply with me.
    Simplicity-
    I'm all about simplicity but I don't recall ever thinking that shifting gears was tricky or complex. I don't recall ever giving shifting any thought at all. I just do it without thinking.

Maintenance-
    Honestly, once my drivetrain is setup (with properly stretched cables) I've gone years without having to adjust it. (I live in a dry climate)

mtbr member

Converting giant XTC to SS

My transmission is worn so i decided to convert to SS instead o buying new parts (geares). I have always appreciated SSing.

I can't wait when I get the convertion stuff and take all triggers, derailers and cables off.

I also want to bring everything to order - cut the brake hoses.

I'm not going to shift to a rigid fork - my fork has a remote lockout so i like it's perfomance.

The future setup:

2010 26'' giant XTC frameset

rockshox recon 351 coil u-turn with poplock

mavic crossride wheelset

truvativ STYLO OCT crankset with 32t ss chainring

avid elixir CR brakes

dmr ss convertion kit 16t + surly 18t cassette cog + point tensioner

sram PC1 singlespeed chain

tyres (depends on conditions): schwalbe racing ralph 2,25 / nobby nic 2,25 / super moto 2,35 / ice spiker pro 2,35 / possibly kojak 1,35 for drag race

Have to wait for the chain, ring, tensioner and conversation kit now.

Want to try 32/18 at first. (It,s winter and much snow outhere).

Cant wait to ride my singlespeed on trails! And also to race it. I was one of the last using gears (my first 2 races) so loosing nothing switching to SS. Hope I will even emprove.

P.S. Happy new year everybody! Ride your SS more!

DAC1
    I am interested in riders thoughts/experience on the difference in riding style with SS. I spend alot more time standing riding SS and find that this involves the upper body and core more than sitting and spinning in a lower gear. Initially I experienced sore shoulders but with a little time they have adapted. What have you experienced in the switch to SS?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAC1 View Post
    I am interested in riders thoughts/experience on the difference in riding style with SS. I spend alot more time standing riding SS and find that this involves the upper body and core more than sitting and spinning in a lower gear. Initially I experienced sore shoulders but with a little time they have adapted. What have you experienced in the switch to SS?
    I had the exact same experience as you. Sore triceps and forearms too. This was surprising to me.

I like stuff
    yup

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    running wider bars with a SS helps a bunch.. i stand up alot and pull on the bars every which way to get the most power down. plus it opens up your arms for better breathing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    It is just so much of a pleasure to ride, the bike is dead silent and maintenance is super low, that and the fact that it makes you look cool

mtbr member
    it's funner. and funnier. i seem to laugh more, even when i crash. my legs seem to be getting toned and stronger. and i still drink beer. of course, i am smart enough to do recovery right so i can go back and have just as much painful fun. people who haven't caught on are really missing the party. solo or a pack, it's now all about fine tuning the jubilation

taking the quantum leap from 26 to 29, ht/fs to rigid, gear'd to ss was actually easy...now to go drop bar and the mutation will be complete

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's bare necessities. I'm using my rigid/ss '98 Gary Fisher wahoo and ascending has never been easier especially when you utilize your momentum. As far as descending, I think it helps me that I only use my elbows and shoulders as a surrogate form of suspension so when I take my freeride/DH, i'm not relying so much on the fork's use. Plus, I'd still have atleast 3 inches of travel left when the day is done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I ride SS because I can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I love the quietness of the ride and that I really have nothing to blame but me and my fat a$$ if I can't make it up a hill

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast