Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    That is until you ghost shift while climbing a grinder
    or when hammering like crazy heading staight for a big dirt jump (like so: hammer hammer hammmmer... slip [insert sound of vanishing resistance]... owwwww [pain beyond pain].... [brakes squealing to get you off the toptube before hitting that jump].......).
    ss won't ghost-shift so long as you dont go cheap and try to use recycled ramped cogs.
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

mtbr member

Good job! some day

Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    or when hammering like crazy heading staight for a big dirt jump (like so: hammer hammer hammmmer... slip [insert sound of vanishing resistance]... owwwww [pain beyond pain].... [brakes squealing to get you off the toptube before hitting that jump].......).
    ss won't ghost-shift so long as you dont go cheap and try to use recycled ramped cogs.
    Dood, that's mega-scary.

Some day I am going to call the "Coast to Coast" radio show at 3 am amd tell the guy that I have experienced ghost shifting before.

I know I'm not alone.

Is the truth out there?

Were ghosts trying to shift for me? Were they malevolent? sonsoviches!
    My geared parts gave up the ghost many months ago. Or rather, many years ago.

It all started in 99. No shifting all of Kettle Moraine to feel what its like to be all SS.

I saw matt Chester's ad on Dirt Rag...a couple of months later, I had a Utilitiman. A year later, I sold it like a fool.

I got back into gears.

2 months before moving back to WI, I started SS on my old Bontrager a la drop bars.

Then, I became a sucker for ENO...and I...liked it.

Bikes became SS.

I have no desire to return to the queer side of the force.

No gears for me.

The Ultimate Niche

oooooooo

One night, I was in bed...and my bike all of a sudden shifted...I almost shat myself. The ghosts came...and shifted my bike, without my permission. But then I Eno'd my bike...and the next time the ghosts came, Eno kick'd their @sses. I slept through it though, so I don't actually know if it happened.

mtbr member

Boo

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Cyclesmith
    One night, I was in bed...and my bike all of a sudden shifted...I almost shat myself. The ghosts came...and shifted my bike, without my permission. But then I Eno'd my bike...and the next time the ghosts came, Eno kick'd their @sses. I slept through it though, so I don't actually know if it happened.
    Oh, ok, so you're saying you think that there was a ghost and then ENO won...ENO, the everlasting solution for people who want to go SS without buying a frame. SWEEEET!

Cyclesmith, after I left the shop, on my way home, I deflected a gnome ghost using nothing but jubu and a hairy llama.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    Thanks for the comment. Funny, I don't seem to get the heckling in the other forums. The singlespeed forum is the first one....
    I think you got heckling because of the way you worded your question. If you say that you are curious about singlespeeding and want to understand the allure then you would get more serious responses than if you come in with the "silly singlespeeders, don't you know that more gears is superior?" type question. You came off as some sort of know-it-all who was going to tell us the error of our ways. There are many, many reasons to try the singlespeed thing and you could ask about those instead of asking about whether multiple gears is superior. I bought one for several reasons:

1. Winter riding around here is hell on drivetrains, pivots, shocks, etc. Singlespeeding simplifies this tremendously. Hell, on a particularly wet winter ride I'm having problems shifting by the time we are halfway through anyhow.

2. Makes one a better rider. Singlespeeding forces you to try to utilize and conserve as much of your momentum as possible, making you a much smoother rider without all of the stops and starts, slowing down and speeding up.

3. Singlespeeding makes you a stronger, more powerful rider. You really have to work much harder to push a 2:1 ratio up some of those hills than you do to granny gear it (pretty obvious) and you really have to push yourself to make it to the top of some of the climbs that you clean without any difficulty on your geared bike.

4. They are very fun to ride. If you ride a rigid singlespeed you are really getting back to the roots of the sport as well as it being a cool feeling to just really feel in touch with the ground. On some of the fast, twisty singletrack around here you just feel so in control of the bike as you don't have the flex of the shocks and forks compressing to take away your feel for the turn. I don't know that I'm explaining this adequately but you really have to try it to really understand it.

5. Less maintenance. On my geared bike I am constantly fiddling with the shifting as with time, build-up, cable stretching, and so on the shifting is always needing constant maintenance. The chain is shorter and stronger and has less chance for things going wrong as there are no chainsuck, forced shifts, and there is decreased friction in it to cause trailside chain repairs. My singlespeed doesn't sound like an orchestra of creaks, groans, and rubbing sounds after a long hard ride on a wet day.

6. Eliminates the negative chi associated with the reverse curvature required to run the chain through the derailer pulleys as well as that bouncing off of the unused chainrings right below you. Allows you to focus in on the yin and yang of the mountain bike and allows you to center yourself.

All right, I made up the last one, but the previous 5 are all good arguments. It is not so much a matter of whether singlespeeding is superior to gearies, its more of a matter of each one having its advantages and disadvantages and it really just matters which criteria you can judge them on are most critical to you. As for being passed by gearies, don't worry about it. They may pass by you on the flats, but on the hills the singlespeeder that can clean the climb is typically the first one to the top as he is forced to ride faster than the gearie by his choice of gear ratio. The singlespeeders I ride with would probably all make the top ten list of the fastest riders I know. I'm new to this as of the last few months and I'm really digging it except for on the steeper hills where I'm a little less keen on the idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Question...

I'll post my question here (because its serious), and I don't need to get ripped on in a new thread.

I love the concept of the SS. I can see why you guys ride SS. I even think I might like riding a rigid 29er SS. However, can you SSers please comment on the type of terrain you mainly ride, especially pertaining to climbing?

Today I rode a 3 mile climb that starts right from the car. It is very tough. I have become a seated climber because I'm on a FS, plus I don't think I could really stand on the peddals all the way up the long climbs I normally do. What do you guys do?

OT: I'm looking into getting a custom HT with the Rohloff Speedhub. That way I can look like you, but still get the easier gears I need to get up those climbs...

Thanks.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I'll post my question here (because its serious), and I don't need to get ripped on in a new thread.

I love the concept of the SS. I can see why you guys ride SS. I even think I might like riding a rigid 29er SS. However, can you SSers please comment on the type of terrain you mainly ride, especially pertaining to climbing?

Today I rode a 3 mile climb that starts right from the car. It is very tough. I have become a seated climber because I'm on a FS, plus I don't think I could really stand on the peddals all the way up the long climbs I normally do. What do you guys do?

OT: I'm looking into getting a custom HT with the Rohloff Speedhub. That way I can look like you, but still get the easier gears I need to get up those climbs...

Thanks.
    Cowboy up.

It'll probably hurt like hell for the first month or two of riding, but then you get really strong. If your typical climbs are very steep, then pick a cog to match the terrain. 2:1 ratio isn't mandatory. I'm not sure who the heck came up with that "standard" anyway. Another thing you can do, if you can convert a "tester" hardtail, is to leave the granny ring on and use a derailleur as a tensioner. That way you have a bail-out low gear that you can use until your fitness catches up.

Try it without the Speedhub.

(was) Big in Japan

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Cowboy up.

It'll probably hurt like hell for the first month or two of riding, but then you get really strong. If your typical climbs are very steep, then pick a cog to match the terrain. 2:1 ratio isn't mandatory. I'm not sure who the heck came up with that "standard" anyway. Another thing you can do, if you can convert a "tester" hardtail, is to leave the granny ring on and use a derailleur as a tensioner. That way you have a bail-out low gear that you can use until your fitness catches up.

Try it without the Speedhub.
    I was thinking that a post like this also needed a "What to expect" section. I think more people would stick with it if they knew what others had gone through on taking up SS, or what the learning/conditioning process was like.
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 03-07-2005 at 04:52 AM. Reason: guacamole
    Ride.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkeman
    I think you got heckling because of the way you worded your question. If you say that you are curious about singlespeeding and want to understand the allure then you would get more serious responses than if you come in with the "silly singlespeeders, don't you know that more gears is superior?" type question. You came off as some sort of know-it-all who was going to tell us the error of our ways. There are many, many reasons to try the singlespeed thing and you could ask about those instead of asking about whether multiple gears is superior. I bought one for several reasons:

1. Winter riding around here is hell on drivetrains, pivots, shocks, etc. Singlespeeding simplifies this tremendously. Hell, on a particularly wet winter ride I'm having problems shifting by the time we are halfway through anyhow.

2. Makes one a better rider. Singlespeeding forces you to try to utilize and conserve as much of your momentum as possible, making you a much smoother rider without all of the stops and starts, slowing down and speeding up.

3. Singlespeeding makes you a stronger, more powerful rider. You really have to work much harder to push a 2:1 ratio up some of those hills than you do to granny gear it (pretty obvious) and you really have to push yourself to make it to the top of some of the climbs that you clean without any difficulty on your geared bike.

4. They are very fun to ride. If you ride a rigid singlespeed you are really getting back to the roots of the sport as well as it being a cool feeling to just really feel in touch with the ground. On some of the fast, twisty singletrack around here you just feel so in control of the bike as you don't have the flex of the shocks and forks compressing to take away your feel for the turn. I don't know that I'm explaining this adequately but you really have to try it to really understand it.

5. Less maintenance. On my geared bike I am constantly fiddling with the shifting as with time, build-up, cable stretching, and so on the shifting is always needing constant maintenance. The chain is shorter and stronger and has less chance for things going wrong as there are no chainsuck, forced shifts, and there is decreased friction in it to cause trailside chain repairs. My singlespeed doesn't sound like an orchestra of creaks, groans, and rubbing sounds after a long hard ride on a wet day.

6. Eliminates the negative chi associated with the reverse curvature required to run the chain through the derailer pulleys as well as that bouncing off of the unused chainrings right below you. Allows you to focus in on the yin and yang of the mountain bike and allows you to center yourself.

All right, I made up the last one, but the previous 5 are all good arguments. It is not so much a matter of whether singlespeeding is superior to gearies, its more of a matter of each one having its advantages and disadvantages and it really just matters which criteria you can judge them on are most critical to you. As for being passed by gearies, don't worry about it. They may pass by you on the flats, but on the hills the singlespeeder that can clean the climb is typically the first one to the top as he is forced to ride faster than the gearie by his choice of gear ratio. The singlespeeders I ride with would probably all make the top ten list of the fastest riders I know. I'm new to this as of the last few months and I'm really digging it except for on the steeper hills where I'm a little less keen on the idea.
    Well, my question in the beginning was meant more to show my ignorance on the subject than point a boney finger at the ss riders. But I see your point.

You know what is interesting, its interesting that in the beginning of this post I got a lot of people telling me that this subject has been beaten to death and to go check the FAQ's which I still haven't found, but somehow even though its apparently a beaten to death subject there are many still posting on it... So apparently there is a lot of passion from the SS riders.

I am very curious and may try it at some point but I just finished my DS bike and to be honest it scares me to think that I may like SS and give up on the DS I just built.. So I will enjoy the DS and maybe in the future try the SS. I gave the perfect bike, my old one, for converting to my wife and I don't think she would appreciate me making it a SS so I could use it...

Thanks for the post.

brother on a mission
    check the FAQ's which I still haven't found
    It is in the top right of the single speed forums screen, but I posted a link below. It is a good and complete FAQ, with a lot of links to eye candy.

Enjoy:

http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml

(was) Big in Japan

I have to scroll across to see it...

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    It is in the top right of the single speed forums screen, but I posted a link below. It is a good and complete FAQ, with a lot of links to eye candy.

Enjoy:

http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml
    Any way to make it more visible?
    Ride.

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    Any way to make it more visible?
    That was my original problem too.

-------

I just recently (this past weekend) jumped on the SS bandwagon. I LOVE IT!!! I'm not a strong biker by any stretch of the imagination so trying to grind up a gradual hill with a 32x16 is hard for me, but at the same time, I'm absolutely loving it!!!!!

Live 2 Ride
    Well let me add my two cents in a non trolling way!

First off I applaud you SS riders - takes alot more muscle than I have to power a ride to the top of a hill using a SS bike.

I for one will never be a SS rider - the last SS bike I had was when I was a kid and the bike was a BMX bike. Didn't like it then sure as hell am sure I wouldn't like it now.

I'm not sure why people refer to ghost shifting as I have never had a problem. But then again i run an 24 speed setup - 8 speed cassettes tend to not be as prone to ghost shifting as 9 speed cassettes. I've seen ghost shifting on a friends bike when he was using Shimano - it quit after he switched to SRAM.

People here complaining about maintanence with a geared bike - seriously that made me laugh as a few bikes I own only need to be worked on once a year.

There are a few things I don't allow when building a bike - I guess now SS will be on that list alongside road bike parts.

After all - you guys ever heard of an professional renowed dowhill racer using a SS?

And there ARE alternatives to geared bikes - internal transmissions for example!
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    I for one will never be a SS rider
    Never say never.

After all - you guys ever heard of an professional renowed dowhill racer using a SS?

And there ARE alternatives to geared bikes - internal transmissions for example!
    Both miss the point entirely.

Let us know when you're coming to Bend!

Live 2 Ride
    I don't think they miss the point.

Downhill racers don't use SS rigs. Not all geared bikes use derailluers.

Anyhow - my friends are planning a trip to Bend soon I'll let you all know on the Oregon forum. And by the way none of us use a SS bike.

Nat
    mtbr member

Downhill racers don't use SS rigs. Not all geared bikes use derailluers.
    Still missing the point.

Anyhow - my friends are planning a trip to Bend soon I'll let you all know on the Oregon forum. And by the way none of us use a SS bike.
    That's okay, we can still ride together.

Live 2 Ride
    I guess I don't have a point - just never cared for SS.

Anyhoo - I hope we can ride soon. See ya around.

Where's Toto?
    Because singlespeed is now mainstream. Everybody's doing it. Make sure you pick up a fixie too. Oh...and make sure they're pink.

When you're done, make sure you come back and tell us all about how you converted your this and that hardtail and it was a religious experience - or post pics of yet another BASS/DISS/PUSS or 1x1.

Me? I'm saving for the recumbent.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Just do it

Hi

Remember when 18 speeds were the ultimate? Why did you ride a bike offered with 21 speeds then? Why 24 speeds? Why 27 speeds? 1x1 is just as cool, you learn to ride a whole different way!

Lee

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    Hi

Remember when 18 speeds were the ultimate? Why did you ride a bike offered with 21 speeds then? Why 24 speeds? Why 27 speeds? 1x1 is just as cool, you learn to ride a whole different way!

Lee
    Maybe because I, for one, need the different speeds. And I like them. With the trails around here I couldn't imagine using a SS bike. Maybe because I'm a clydesdale and I'm out of shape.

I should build up a SS - yes it WOULD have one cog in the rear. But I would stuff one of those 14 speed hubs in the middle.

Kill your... television
    Maybe because I, for one, need the different speeds. And I like them. With the trails around here I couldn't imagine using a SS bike. Maybe because I'm a clydesdale and I'm out of shape.

I should build up a SS - yes it WOULD have one cog in the rear. But I would stuff one of those 14 speed hubs in the middle.
    Just because it doesn't have derailer doesn't mean it is a single-speed. Single speeding is obviously not for you.

Live 2 Ride
    Thank you for the compliment!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Smile

I don't get it. With different cogs and gear ratios it seems like having a 21, 24, or 27 speed would be superior to a singlespeed. So what is the benefit? Is it only weight? I have a bike I could convert but I am having trouble justifying it.
    I can tell you about my reasons.

1) My single-speed bike is On-One Il Pompino, which is essentially a road bike or cyclo-cross. I usually avoid difficult off-road conditions when riding with that bike. I also have a MTB but it is (still) geared.
    2) The roads where I usually ride are such that I don't usually need more than one gear. I use 48:18 gearing and I ride all the hills up.
    3) Because I have only one gear, I have carefully optimized chain line and efficiency.
    4) I realized that a single speed bike is very reliable.
    5) A single speed bike looks good with less cables and moving parts.
    6) My single speed bike looks cheap. That is good, because I don't want thieves to get interested in my bike.

mtbr member

I'm with you on the recumbent

Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    Me? I'm saving for the recumbent.
    But mine is going to be a FS, unicycle recumbent.

Actually, I decided to ride SS because all the standing climbs help keep my taint from getting too leathery vs. sitting and spinning.

Sean
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Listen dude, if you have to ask then obviously you don't have what it takes to be a singlespeeder. I don't know what kind of answer you are looking for, are you asking for some sort of existentialist type response that somehow involves how a bunch of lycra wearing masochists are tied together by biking with no shifters or derailleurs.

mtbr member
    I learned from my HT SS that I don't need a granny gear. And if I was in the big ring, I was on asphalt---what's the point.

So now my formerly 27-possible geared FS rig has lost it's big and little rings and front D. Now I'm going to whittle down the number of cogs on the back.

And my road bike is dangerously near loosing ALL of it's gearing in favor of a flip-flop hub with a freewheel on one side and FIXED on the other.

WHY?!

Can't quite explain that. Think INTENSITY. That's my best answer. SS'ing brings back the intensity that reminds you of why you took up mountain biking to begin with. And that's fun.

Plus you'll ALWAYS have a bunch of gearies asking you if you're crazy. I get a kick out of that.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

SSped
    Jan 2004

This is Why

When you can Build something so beautiful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator

Simplicity and silence

I just do it for the suffering, really I tried it because of the hype created around here last year and got hooked.

Also have seen so many mech failures on group rides and on my own bikes that made sense to give it a try. So far nothing has broken on my SS but the geared was suffering from ghost shifting and after some maintenance (has been neglected since only SSing) a new chain and rear mech pullies it was fixed.

Pics of something I found today while riding, that's why I mostly SSpeed.

mtbr member

Here's another short and sweet answer.

BECAUSE fixed is a real beeotch off road.

It came to me today while pounding pavement--fixed of course.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. W.C. Fields

mtbr member
    Because I can't pronounce d.., de..., der..., derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

The only answer to this question is get the he--

out there and ride a true single speed. If it was me I would try a steel single. Go easy on the gears until you are use to the ride style of the single and then move up to a tougher gear ratio. 2:1 usually kicks everyones azz up hill. Even after you get use to riding one speed. Look for companies doing demos in your area or shops that have rentals or demo bikes in stock. Good luck and you will be a believer of single speeds and never be able to answer your own question. Go onto Konas website they are doing national demos and have a unit on the truck.

mtbr member

Try the bigger cog and move out.

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    I'll try it again. I've been riding for 12 years and I dig it but I'm not worried about beating many people to the top of the hill. It's more about having a good time and enjoying the technical riding and getting some excersize doing something I enjoy. I have a local 9 mile climb, not too steep but relentless. I normally climb it in middle 1st and I tried it in middle second and at the 5 mile mark I was allmost 20 min slower an my knees were burning. I might not enjoy pain enough for ss but I'll work on my S&M threashold so I can try SS.
    It takes some time to build the endurance. I've got a half a mile of steep climb on my daily commute and when I first went SS I did it with a 32-18. I realized after a month that the hill had gotten much easier so I went to a 32-16.
    The guys who talked about the strength of their muscles around the knee have a very good point. I've had bad knees for a few years now, I've found that since I've been SS I haven't had the pain or swelling I had before. I'm actually a better runner because of my SSing.
    29er Fan!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla
    Why SS? Cause all of the cool kids are doing it. And by cool I mean a bunch of beer guzzling folks who will eat stuff for money.

now I know how I'm going to get the money for my first SS! really!!! The Kona Unit!

Thanks!!

Let the cowbell ring
    Mar 2004
    It's just something that you will either like or not. I tend to find myself riding SS only even though I have a geared bike. It's just simple and fun, but not all agree. Some just don't like it. So the best is to try it and then decide. Just don't think too much about it.
    I don't get it. With different cogs and gear ratios it seems like having a 21, 24, or 27 speed would be superior to a singlespeed. So what is the benefit? Is it only weight? I have a bike I could convert but I am having trouble justifying it.

Let the cowbell ring
    Mar 2004
    An easy way to try is to adjsut the cables so you can't shift. This way you don't have to spend money on a bike to try.
    and the shoes
    and the shorts
    and the brakes
    and the camelbak
    and the other riders laughing at me as they pass going up hill...

I am sure it's probably fun. Just don't know if it is worth it to me or not. Although having a 20lb bike would be cool.

Let the cowbell ring
    Mar 2004
    I got quite lonely without all the chainslap. It almost lulls one to sleep. So I added a cowbell and now annoy most everyone. All is good in the universe again.QUOTE=Lambone]so who was it that gave the decent reply?

you have to understand that people just get sick of this question in the singlespeed forum, it comes up about once a week, and the same points are hashed out.

SS is not for everybody. But on the right bike in the right terrain its a hell of alot of fun. If you do alot of climbing it can be brutal lungbusting misery, on nice rolly curvy terrain it is a blast.

It's hard to explain really, but you just have to work with the bike more...rather then changing the bike to work with you by shifting gears. The lighterweight and less component noise is a benefit, but for me I just love having to strategize my pedal stroke rather then when I shift gears.

I also ride a geared squishy bike too...it just depends on the trail, the day, and my mood.

give it a try. I jumped in feet first and bought a Kona Unit before even trying SS. Risky but it turned out great as I spend probly half my time on it. If you aren't ready to throw down $, either demo or borrow one, or build up an old beater.

I have some SS disk wheels in the classifieds now by the way.

cheers [/QUOTE]

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    My stories, One f******g Speed stickers and beer chat.

A man don't need much more'n that...

...and satellite TV with a universal remote. And a leather La-Z-Boy. That'll do it. (for the rain days )

...and a custom ti SS bike. Done.

...and a week as Camp Counselor at Camp Podium Girl.

HW

...and a BBQ full of meat. Because
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

Let the cowbell ring
    Mar 2004
    It's cheap to convert. Try it. If you like it great. If not oh well very few bucks spent.

Let the cowbell ring
    Mar 2004
    I've seen a guy climb 7-8 miles straight (3500 vertical feet) on one. I haven't quite made it to that level yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding

Thanks.

grasso e lento

Ok so I didn't read each and every post

But after looking at some of the pics of the rides and reading this thread I see several with front suspension. I was just thinking that most of the enjoyment I get out of SSing is the feel of the rigid steel dancing around crap. I find that I am more attentive to my lines as I build my skills.
    As I got my SS I spoke with the Viking himself and he talked me out of front suspension and I am glad I listened to him.... I was just wondering what drew some of you to loosen the front and give it some travel.

-Dude
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

grasso e lento

This makes me want Tofu for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by voodoovegan

Hmmmmmmmmmm why is that?
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

Let the cowbell ring
    Mar 2004
    For me it is 150+ miles on a SS. For others they have their reason. Basically we don't have the nuts to want to go fully rigid all the time. I though about it long and hard. Actually rode rigid for a while. But after 10+ hours on a bike it's kind of nice not to be on top of everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude
    But after looking at some of the pics of the rides and reading this thread I see several with front suspension. I was just thinking that most of the enjoyment I get out of SSing is the feel of the rigid steel dancing around crap. I find that I am more attentive to my lines as I build my skills.
    As I got my SS I spoke with the Viking himself and he talked me out of front suspension and I am glad I listened to him.... I was just wondering what drew some of you to loosen the front and give it some travel.

-Dude

Big Fat Slow Dude
    May 2005

Yes yes yes.

Quote Originally Posted by capn cowbell
    It's cheap to convert. Try it. If you like it great. If not oh well very few bucks spent.
    I am really loving the situation I am creating. I'm ordering a Waltworks 29er custom, but the wait is so long, I am ordering a Surly KM to build up so I have something to ride. The plan was to just then transfer all the stuff to the Walt, and sell the KM frame. But now, I say, why not spend a little more money I do not have, and build the KM into a rigid SS?

See, I actually hate riding bikes, especially up hills. I mean, I hate it. I'm new into serious riding, and when I go out on my road bike, and I see a hill, I get depressed. I'm 330 pounds and 6'7" tall. Going up a hill is nothing but suffering. It is actually a battle for my body, on what I am going to lose first, the legs or the lungs. I'm trying to do about 100 miles a week on the road, and every ride I return from, I have to sit for 2 hours and moan.

See, I can't abide this cadence thing. (I will not abide another toe!) I know that a man named Lance did it in a place called France with high cadence...but that tires me out. I tend to rely more on my power. So when I hit a hill, I hate downshifting and I never, ever make it to the granny gear. I keep it 2nd ring in the front, granny in the rear at worst. The reason is, I hate hills so much, and suffer so greatly on them (you light boys might think about duct taping another rider to yourselves to mimic my situation) that I just want to get the thing over with, and the granny gear is just too damn slow for that. So I just muscle it out as best I can and then when I recover from blacking out at the top, start pedaling again.

Thus, I think a SS would fit me well. Especially a SS 29er. Maybe with long cranks. Like 190+.

Anyhow, I'm pumped to do this, but it won't happen until I get my Walt (probably August?) and so by then, I'll hopefully be in better SS shape.

mtbr member

The babes love it

No balls no glory!!! With all the standing during singlespeeding there is a less chance of developing erectile dysfunction!!!! Got to love that!

Badsmells

Get out of town!
    "It can be done for $0. Mostly it is taking things off."

Can you give me more info. on how to convert?

I have a nice steel frame that I just refinished and I was planning on using this:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...rsion+Kit.aspx

Also, do I need a specific type of crankset or can I set up a triple w/ just the middle ring? Will it line up properly?

Any help would be appreciated.

brother on a mission
    The gusset kit looks nice and works well for some people, but you can do it for $0 if you have horizontal or semi horizontal drop outs. There is a lot of information in the FAQ section: http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml

For the short of it, bust apart two cassettes, and use the spacers of the cassette to line up the cog of your choice in the back with the chainring of your choice in the front. You can use any crankset you desire. YOu can even use the ramped cogs from your current cassette, though they are less than ideal. My first single speed was entirely from recycled parts. The ramped cog in the back tended to toss the chain when under heavy load (when you least want it). To solve that I sandwiched the 20 tooth cog I wante to use between two 24 tooth cogs like this: spacers/24tooth/spacer/20tooth/spacer/24tooth/spacers/lockring. I never lost my chain again after that fix.

good luck with your build.

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    The gusset kit looks nice and works well for some people, but you can do it for $0 if you have horizontal or semi horizontal drop outs. There is a lot of information in the FAQ section: http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml

For the short of it, bust apart two cassettes, and use the spacers of the cassette to line up the cog of your choice in the back with the chainring of your choice in the front. You can use any crankset you desire. YOu can even use the ramped cogs from your current cassette, though they are less than ideal. My first single speed was entirely from recycled parts. The ramped cog in the back tended to toss the chain when under heavy load (when you least want it). To solve that I sandwiched the 20 tooth cog I wante to use between two 24 tooth cogs like this: spacers/24tooth/spacer/20tooth/spacer/24tooth/spacers/lockring. I never lost my chain again after that fix.

good luck with your build.

Thanks - this is a big help. It's good to know that I can use an older crankset for now just to get it built up. Now, how can I get out of the office w/o being noticed

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Becasue I couldn't find any new 7 speed parts...

mtbr member

help out the iceman

i was recently riding somewhere in ohio and was getting my a$$kicked by a uphill from hell and got passed by a dude on singlespeed, now granted i was on my freerider, but the dude passed me like i was standing still, and i'm no springchicken either. i'm gonna have to give this biz a shot. are most of u guys setting these things up yourselves or having a shop do it? i've got an old cannondale f400 sitting around collecting dust anybody have any suggestions of how to go about this?
    [FONT=Impact][SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by udontknowmehomie
    i was recently riding somewhere in ohio and was getting my a$$kicked by a uphill from hell and got passed by a dude on singlespeed, now granted i was on my freerider, but the dude passed me like i was standing still, and i'm no springchicken either. i'm gonna have to give this biz a shot. are most of u guys setting these things up yourselves or having a shop do it? i've got an old cannondale f400 sitting around collecting dust anybody have any suggestions of how to go about this?
    You can do it yourself if you have a couple of basic tools. Check out the FAQ section in my earlier post and the websites I mention above.
    Take off all things shifty (unless you are using your derailleur as a tensioner). Shorten the chain. Presto. There are more detailed instructions are numerous threads here, including this one: This is all i need?

Happy building.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've had 3 singles, all converted. It's great to have a bike you know is always gonna work. In the snow in the mud whatever it just works. I can actually climb more steep stuff on my converted Exile single than anything I've ridden. Do yourself a favor and don't bother with the squish in the front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well let me add my two cents in a non trolling way!

First off I applaud you SS riders - takes alot more muscle than I have to power a ride to the top of a hill using a SS bike.

I for one will never be a SS rider - the last SS bike I had was when I was a kid and the bike was a BMX bike. Didn't like it then sure as hell am sure I wouldn't like it now.

I'm not sure why people refer to ghost shifting as I have never had a problem. But then again i run an 24 speed setup - 8 speed cassettes tend to not be as prone to ghost shifting as 9 speed cassettes. I've seen ghost shifting on a friends bike when he was using Shimano - it quit after he switched to SRAM.

People here complaining about maintanence with a geared bike - seriously that made me laugh as a few bikes I own only need to be worked on once a year.

There are a few things I don't allow when building a bike - I guess now SS will be on that list alongside road bike parts.

First of all, if you have a bicycle that only needs to be worked on once a year it is either a) not getting ridden that much or b) not getting ridden in very extreme terrain or conditions. I will tell you that here during the summer the geared bike doesn't need a whole lot of maintenance other than keeping the chain lubed as it is dry out. However, during the winter around here where there is a great deal of rain and the grit and grime works its way into all of your bike parts it is an incredible difference in the amount of maintenance between my rigid SS and my geared bike (Specialized Epic). On the Epic it is constant squeaky pivots and difficulties shifting at the end of a wet ride. I will admit that this is better with an 8 speed setup as it wasn't that long ago that I had one of those but it still required a lot more maintenance than my SS. Where are you riding that you don't have to do maintenance? I ride 3-4 days a week pretty much year round and I can't get away with this sort of maintenance schedule.

As for the downhill racer question, I'm wondering why singlespeeders should care what downhill racers ride. I haven't heard of any NASCAR drivers riding singlespeeds so should I put my Surly on Ebay? Singlespeeders are cross-country riders for the most part and the cross country singlespeed scene is not short on pro-riders. Travis Brown has been absolutely dominating SSers all over and on the ladies side, Marla Streb (a national champion downhiller, by the way) has been extremely dominant including putting 8 minutes on the second place pro at the Sea Otter this year in the Women's pro SSer category. If you don't care to try SSing then that is no skin off of my back but the reasoning given in this post is pretty ridiculous to say the least. SSing isn't for everyone and no one will question you on that. However, to come into a SSer's forum and making ridiculous statements about pro downhillers to support geared bikes is just asking for someone to give you crap about it. Why don't you go into the Save Some Weight forum and tell them that sub-20 lb bikes are silly since Pro-Downhill bikes weigh 50 lbs?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkeman
    Why don't you go into the Save Some Weight forum and tell them that sub-20 lb bikes are silly since Pro-Downhill bikes weigh 50 lbs?
    Funny you should say that, because he just posted on the 29er board that 29ers are dumb.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...70629#poststop

Nice social skills, hey?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Funny you should say that, because he just posted on the 29er board that 29ers are dumb.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...70629#poststop

Nice social skills, hey?
    Too humorous. Sometimes unintentional comedy is absolutely the best kind. Now I think I'll go over to the women's riding forum and tell them that bikes are for guys.

mtbr member

3 reasons

because i hate him, i hate her and i hate you too...good day

mtbr member
    eeeee
    Last edited by jdub347; 06-17-2005 at 02:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Becuase when I get pissed at my bike and I throw it and stomp on it there are less parts to break....which saves me money and time, because when I destroy my bike, it makes me more angry and I tend to destroy other things that are around me becuase I think of how much it is going to cost to fix my bike, etc, etc....it is a vicious circle really.

Inrideo est vita

We the people ... The Tao of Singlespeeding

I can't believe no one posted this in this thread yet, it's... definitive.
    Kinda old, nevertheless... from Dirt Rag here is a snipit of The Tao of Singlespeeding by Corvus Corvax

If you get this, then you should dump the gears and read the other 12 verses.

To ride one gear is natural.
    Sprints do not last all morning,
    Descents do not last all day.

The follower of singlespeeding
    is at one with his bike.
    He who rides smoothly
    Experiences flow.
    He who loses the trail
    Becomes confused.
    When you are at one with your bike,
    The trail welcomes you.
    When you conserve your momentum,
    The flow is always there.
    When you are at one with pain,
    The pain is experienced willingly.

He who does not get out of the saddle
    Will not make it to the top of the hill.

Why do I ride SS?
    --> 'cause it's harder.
    --> 'cause it's more interesting.
    --> 'cause it makes me a better rider.
    Last edited by SSteel; 07-08-2005 at 01:45 PM.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Why singlespeed? Get your head outa my ass! For the love of god this topic is beat to death like your Mom's diaphram. I'll tell why I ride SS cuz I like sprocket tatoos, coffee, keepin it reel, UH, DH, looking for parking at the trailhead as well as pit toilets and spanking your dog. It's a stupid question, as is my answer. Think your lame? Well bucko I'm a lot lamer!!!
    Last edited by Johnny Chicken Bones; 07-12-2005 at 10:34 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones
    Why singlespeed? Get your head outa my ass! For the love of god this topic is beat to death like your Mom's diaphram. I'll tell why I ride SS cuz I like sprocket tatoos, coffee, keepin it reel, UH, DH, looking for parking at the trailhead as well as pit toilets and spanking your dog. It's a stupid question, as is my answer. Think your lame? Well bucko I'm a lot lamer!!!
    Yes, As you said, you are lamer... Check the date of this question. It was asked March 1st and has had who knows how many answers. Apparently it's not as dead a topic as you might have thought. Apparenly as far as it being a stupid question as you so eloquently put it, it seems to have gotten a lot of good response so maybe it's not quite as stupid as your answer was. Come to think of if, why am I answering your stupid response anyway?? Oh yeah, I remember. I am in a bad mood and you gave me the perfect opportunity to stick it to someone. Thanks, I feel better now.

Don't worry, I don't really blame you too much. Seems like we get newbies sometimes around here that aren't aware of etiquette on the forum. Either that or maybe it's just people like you who probably hop from forum to forum trolling.

mtbr member

Why single speed?

Cuz you want a new riding experience, or because you are insecure and want people to tell you that you're "hardcore".
    Just my $.02.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Cuz you want a new riding experience, or because you are insecure and want people to tell you that you're "hardcore".
    Just my $.02.
    Actually, what I am amazed at is that people actually care whether or not I ride a single speed.

banned
    Mar 2004
    So did you build that SS yet???!!! I'm gonna build up my C'dale hardtail this fall. Later....

The Cycle Path

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Why singlespeed?

cause it only cost me $50

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Stuff like this

Pic taken during last nigth's ride, 3 SS and 3 geared.

mashmash
    Sep 2005

where is the singlespeed faq PLEASE!!!

Hey I'm just getting going with SS, and could use all the info I can get my hands on. You mentioned a Singlespeed faq? Where could I Download this? I search mtbr but no luck. Thanks, TImO

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    It's fun.

The only way you will understand is to try it. If it's for you, then great, if not, at least you gave it a shot.

Also, read the singlespeed FAQ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The way I seeit, going single speed is a lot like chopping a tree with an axe insead of a chain saw. Cheaper, lighter, less maintenance and it leaves you feeling like you accomplished more. Anyone can zip a fancy technology filled machine through the woods, but I prefer to use old fashioned elbow grease.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Because it f@cking hurts, what more is there to be said?
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Why not?!? Who even asks lol! Why Bicycle?

mtbr member

Good job!

So iviguy, did you build up your SS yet?

Here's my $0.03.

I bought my FS about two years ago . Immediately some SS friends said I had to turn the old HT into an SS. Well, about the time you started asking the question, I bit the bullet.

Now I have put as many or more miles on the SS this year compared to the FS (consider I race the FS......stay tuned.) My first time out I cleared a granite hill (Fence Hill) at Conyers Horse Park in GA that I had always struggled with. The only explanation was I didn't have a choice, and just attacked. Since then I've only missed the hill once on any bike when I tried a different line.

The biggest benefit I have gotten from riding a SS is the education in picking lines. I am so much smoother on any bike than before I started riding a single gear. It will make you a stronger rider too.

Be careful of the traps though! Just as someone pointed out earlier, I am now looking at SS specific built frames. Addictive Cycles in Braselton, GA is coming out with what looks to be a sweet one.

Singlespeeed - It's pure, it's simple, it's addictive!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Of my four mtn bikes, only one is geared. That one, a '94 Jamis Dakota, was relieved of command as a mtn bike and reassigned to touring/commuting duty w/1.25" slicks, all road components (drop h/bars and bar-end shifters, etc.) and drivetrain, fenders and rack and probably will never leave the pavement again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    "If you have to ask "why?", you probaly don`t get it.".....Gary Fisher.

Ask your self, Why Not?

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Quote Originally Posted by edge
    cause it only cost me $50

Is that a blasted MADWAGON?

mtbr member

why singlespeed?

You mean they make bikes with more than one gear? Why didn't I think of that!?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I recently converted my old Fisher Joshua F1 (with rear shock lockout) to singlespeed. Why? Because I can and because I grew tired of replacing derailures and drivetrains. After a stick removed half the derailure from my 05 Dawg Primo in the middle of a ride I converted the Fisher simply out of spite. I'll fix those sticks! My first ride was a group ride where I heard the words " If people keep getting those things the group will get even more spread out and there will be even more waiting". Guess what, there was a lot of waiting but, it was me waiting for them to catch up! A singlespeed forces you to use momentom, plan your attack before you get to a hill and simply ride faster. Try it! It's like learing to ride all over again and it's a blast. The most frustraiting part is following someone as they slowly noodle there way up a hill with you chomping at the bit to pass them.

banned

Because...

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Why not?

Single speeds are dumb. I had a single speed when I was 4. Someone said, "because their the new thing...mainstream". How dumb. Because everyone else is doing it...lets all run out and buy a bike that technology has left behind.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kawboy8
    Single speeds are dumb. I had a single speed when I was 4. Someone said, "because their the new thing...mainstream". How dumb. Because everyone else is doing it...lets all run out and buy a bike that technology has left behind.
    Sissy. Wuss. Pansy. Miss. Ma'am. Sally.

giddy up!
    Your trolling is getting really tired. Go back to the women's lounge or better yet......find a new forum to waste your time with.

How about some ride related content from ya?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr noob
    Apr 2005
    i like singlespeed because it is dependable and really quiet. when you do a drop to flat (curb) with gears it clangs and sounds like you broke something. with singlespeed all you get it the sound of your tires hitting the ground, and maybe you'r fork compressing.
    "never give up, and never surrender" Buzz Lightyear

Get out of town!

SSNoob epiphany

I'm gonna beat a dead horse here but has anyone noticed that riding a singlespeed gets your ass in gear on the climbs? At least for me it does.

I think the reason is that on a geared bike I can pick a comfortable gear combo and just mule it up the hills. I guess my way of trying to climb efficiently was really just lazy riding. Riding on my singlespeed, there are times when I am zoning out/getting lazy and then my bike gets my attention and my legs kick back into gear. I am spinning much better and climbing stronger since I threw a leg over my converted '99 steel frame Gary Fisher Aquila that was sitting quietly in a friends garage, waiting to be noticed again.

Uncle Jay
    Apr 2005

Well, I think you're supposed to get a seperate bike for every cycling discipline...or is that just me?

mtbr member

Mmmmm.......strong in this one, the force is not!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

simple

cause its simple, cause its fun, cause there is no derailer to break at 10 miles out, cause its all stronger, the hub is far more balanced making for superior wheel tension, the chains are tougher compare to the "dental floss" chains of 9/10 speed, cause its lighter and can be cheaper, cause you can! the list goes on.

mtbr member
    Well, I actually took the time to read this and I am still wondering how normal people deal with tough climbs where SS ratios (even as low as 32:23) may not be enough. I have heard of elite riders manage the terrain I ride with 32:16,17,18, but they are elite riders! I am 43 years old and I am an average sport rider at best. I can manage the toughest climbs where I ride, but I find myself occasionally in ratios around 1:1.

So how do you SSers deal with that? I have to believe that many of you are not elite riders and cannot possibly have the strength and stamina to clear real technical climbs in 32:16 or 32:18. Do you walk? Do you get frustrated with walking? Do you avoid some of the steeper, technical climbs? Be honest, please.

Mind you I need no convincing to go SS. I already ordered an SS (back to basics with a rigid On One Inbred) and will give it a shot. I know I love out of saddle grunts, but I have my limits and I sometimes have to sit and spin to preserve myself. My rides are 2-4 hours, in the advanced/expert XC terrain.

Anyway, there are 2 things that "bother" me regarding the SS.

1) I hate getting off my bike. Maybe I have to change that attitude.
    2) I have never seen an SS bike on the trails I ride. That scares me.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Well, I actually took the time to read this and I am still wondering how normal people deal with tough climbs where SS ratios (even as low as 32:23) may not be enough. I have heard of elite riders manage the terrain I ride with 32:16,17,18, but they are elite riders! I am 43 years old and I am an average sport rider at best. I can manage the toughest climbs where I ride, but I find myself occasionally in ratios around 1:1.

So how do you SSers deal with that? I have to believe that many of you are not elite riders and cannot possibly have the strength and stamina to clear real technical climbs in 32:16 or 32:18. Do you walk? Do you get frustrated with walking? Do you avoid some of the steeper, technical climbs? Be honest, please.

Mind you I need no convincing to go SS. I already ordered an SS (back to basics with a rigid On One Inbred) and will give it a shot. I know I love out of saddle grunts, but I have my limits and I sometimes have to sit and spin to preserve myself. My rides are 2-4 hours, in the advanced/expert XC terrain.

Most of my local terrain is on a gentle, gradual incline, but there are some steep climbs littered here and there. If you stick with your ss, you'll find yourself getting much stronger fairly quickly. At first some of those hills will seem impossible and you'll think you're having a heart attack, but the next time will be a little easier. You'll learn to use your back, your arms, your chest, your facial muscles. You'll use muscles that you thought had nothing to do with pedalling.

It's not that I avoid steep, technical climbs. It's that I have a healthy respect and anxiety towards the harder ones that I'm uncertain I can climb. Right now you know that you can pretty much ride up everything local to you if you just shift down far enough, right? What if suddenly that certainty was gone? I've been nervous about several steeps around here until I was able to go try it. Some climbs I've put off until I felt as if I was ready. It gives me an uncertain goal for which to prepare. That's one thing I find so satisfying. One day you can barely make it up the base of a hill before you need to walk, then a few months later you're bounding over that hill and barely breathing hard. It's totally rewarding when you make it up a hill that you were certain would kill you.

It's okay to start with a low gear ratio (2:1 or higher does not have to be the goal, although somehow people use it for bragging rights -- whatever) then increase as you strengthen. You're going to have to lose your hangups about walking though. Plan to walk a lot...at least at first.

Blue Dot Junkie

Logs!

I like the fact that when hopping over logs I don't scar them with my chainring. And the clearance is better too!
    I own and work at Hub Cyclery, Idyllwild CA

mtbr member
    Thanks Nat, I am looking forward to the challenge. I will also leave my ego at the door and choose the ratios wisely (probably start in 32:20 and go from there).

Too bad I may have to wait until next spring to take the SS on my normal trails. The SS bike arrives at the end of November and by that time I will probably be skiing already and all the mtb centers around here will be closed.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member

bike (1999) 6:69

In case it's not already posted here -

From Lama Ferrentino:

"In the days when there was no difference between road and mountain biking, no such thing as a mountain bike and most roads lay unpaved, back when racers fixed their own damn bikes, and men were proud enough to wear knickers, bikes had but one gear. Then came the derailleur, launching a 60-year long game of technological one-upmanship that is showing absolutely no signs of relenting . . . The singlespeed is the purist-zen-layman-quad-bursting flag of surrender in the face of technology. . . Light, simple and surprisingly adept in hilly and tight spaces, the one-speed is probably the cheapest way to learn how to smile again. Even if the smile is a grimace of pain."

Simply put, simple machines are more reliable. But like a lot of things, the experience has to be lived for a real understanding of the thing itself. I like a singlespeed because when I ride, I feel like I did when I was 12 years old riding a one-geared bike off jury-rigged wooden ramps in the bush of Northern Ontario. Back when air was something to breathe rather than get.
    raise the prayer flags of the temple of one gear.

slowvelo

No e-drama please!!

Good job! Ss-fs

Had many SS bikes & makes you a fit rider. I converted my bike in 1996-97 & nobody had ever seen one at TSALI & NOC & were sceptical as hell.... Now it's very big SS is.
    Although i discovered DH & now Freeriding my Heckler, i am going to convert my HECKLER to SS ! Pics soon after conversion.
    At 33 yrs old you start thinking about fitness & just getting outdoors rather than hucking & dropping & ripping up berms---Especially without health insurance !!
    -- SINGLESPEED --
    1)Less cost .No dersilaers,pods,etc to replace every year or two.
    2)Quieter-you see alot more animals because you are stealthy.
    3)After chainline is perfectly set----- "no mechanicals with SS hardly"
    4)No upkeep at all compared to fully geared.= more time for other things !
    5) Your mind is FREE on the ride.No anticipating shifting -or- wondering if you'll get chainsuck or mud in the pulley's ,etc.
    6)SS riders are more CORE imo, & most do not shave thier legs-which i DO NOT. Also less time Sitting on the seat & spinning to death in that little gear. More upperbody workout on a SS.
    my .02
    peas...................

edit:spelling
    Last edited by freerider33; 11-17-2005 at 08:59 AM.

No e-drama please!!

Idea! reply

reply:
    I like to get off & push up most hills or even run.It's more straighforward to do meaning just that. A really experienced geared climber may love the challenge of keeping his front wheel pointed up the hill & sitting his prostate gland on the tip of the saddle to keep his bike climbing..
    Now some mountainous trails around E.TN are extremely hard on anything & it would be impossible to climb on a SS & can push up the climb just as fast or faster than the climbers on the bikes.
    It's just a great simple biking experience.Less brain thought & more simplicity on a SS.
    My other .02

mtbr member
    Thanks Nat, I am looking forward to the challenge. I will also leave my ego at the door and choose the ratios wisely (probably start in 32:20 and go from there).
    I am fairly new to this SS and was not in killer shape when I started it. I started out with 32:20, but now run 32:18 most of the time. I do plan on putting the 20 back on when the weather gets bad.

I will admit, with my SS I walk more than I would have to with my gearie. I also HATE walking. I try very hard not to walk, but almost every ride I find myself walking sooner or later. The good news is that I walk on less hills than I have before. I too was very skeptical about riding SS. I heard about these guys back in 97 or so when I raced a lot. I figured they would just get off and run up the hill. Now that I do it, I can not believe some of the stuff I can climb.

You will keep more momentum into the climb because the faster you go, the easier it is to go. On a gearie, I tend to slow down a little more and plan on the down shift.

In my opinion, once you get to a certain sized hill it does not get any harder to climb. Now I am not saying it is easy, but I have found that once the hill is big enough I am going through the same motions with the same amount of energy needed for each stroke. The only hard part is to keep pedaling and the fitness to do so. With geared bikes the closer you get to the top, the harder it is to go and the slower you get. IMO. The more you climb the more you will be able to maintain the pedaling on a climb. You will need to pick up your lungs out of the front chain ring a few times, but it does get better.

Just think about when you started riding on a geared bike. Not all of the hills were do able that you can do now. It takes some conditioning to do so and SSing takes different musles.

Take all the free time you have from deciding what gear to be in or *****ing about the gear not changing, and look around the woods more as you pass through. It is amazing how much you will free up. I don't think I have ever finished a ride on my SS with out a smile on my face!!

sorry so long

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i ride single speed but only because i ride dirt jump and the way i have built my local trails means tht u dont have to pedal coz its on a downhill so instead of having to maintain a big cassette, and derailleur and all that i just went single speed (and i snapped my mech hanger and couldnt be bother fixin it that might have had something to do with it)i think it depends what sort of riding you do to whether you need a single speed r not sorry for stating the obvias

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    You SS guys are living it up. I just took my first ride on a SS after about 10 years of mt biking. I was sold at the first turn of the cranks. I hoped on my buddy's salsa juan solo 16" and it felt better than the trek i've been riding for 5 years. No shifting, no derailluers, just out of the saddle mashing up hills, dang it was fun. I gotta get one. Course his had some awesome hope mono mini's that work better than any brake i've ever tried. I tried to build one online and the price quickly shot above $2K, so I guess I will have to wait. But dang, i'm craving some more SS action, it's too much fun. Ride on.

Good for nothin'
    Single or fixed, there really is no other way to enjoy cycling that's quite the same. If you don't get it, you don't get it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Have you ever heard the saying "to sharpen your saw"? It's kinda like that. if you would rather go through the extra energy of pushing a bigger gear up hills, instead of doing maintenance, spending more on parts, and worrying about your drive train failling, than you are a single speeder indeed. I myself would much rather suffer through the horrible consequences of putting more effort into my mountain biking than dealing with the above problems. I am lazy in that sense, and damn proud of it.

mtbr member
    Hey, I got my SS specific bike!!!

Some friends of mine named Scott Hodge and Grant Lockwood at Addictive Cycles in Braselton, GA designed their own bike. They called it the Addictive OD-1 (keep in mind it's an addiction and you can overdose). It does have a place for a hanger if your not ready for the pure fix just yet.

They still have a few left. More in be found at Addictive Cycles OD-1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

simplicity no gears

It is good discipline. It works by momentum. Alot of people ride fixed gears no brakes, it is not superior just another way of riding. Singlespeed requires superior discipline and a challenge. No cables no shifters no derailers. Clean. Simplistic form of cycling which requires very low maintainance on the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

As briefly as possible

Freedom from choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

My thoughts on the subject

I ride a rigid singlespeed so that technology will stop making up for my mistakes.Its just me and my bike.Ask a very good car driver if he likes ABS, traction control, computerised suspension or engine enhancements or whatever other modern technology that takes away from the true experience of driving.I bet that most would say no and i feel that way about my bike.Just me and a stripped down rigid singlespeed.No excuses....

mtbr member
    I dig that reason, Obsessive!

I ride SS because I love hernias and prolapsed rectums.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast